Tuesday 10 February 2009

No. 9452, Tuesday, 10 Feb 09, M.Manna

Today was too easy to comment. Went through the CW as fast as I could write. Did scratch around a bit for 16A. 6D should be Muslim religous leaders and not just Muslim leaders.
ACROSS
1 - They are of Asian origins but also aborigines of America - INDIANS
5 - Soldiers ordered to carry kit - BRIGADE
9 - Clover like plant as fodder for cattle - LUCERNE
10 - In time Paulette displays an ornamental shoulder piece - EPAULET
11 - Fix or mark deeply - STAMP
12 - Viewing to excess is a mistake - OVERSIGHT
13 - Suspiciously detect vermin – SMELL A RAT
15 - Lines forming part of a boundary - SIDES
16 - Set of rules and characters for converting one form of dates to another - CODES
18 - Moving with all speed when without cover - STREAKING
21 - Likely place for tennis elbow— mind out! - WIMBLEDON
24 - Lease taken for a frame to support a picture during painting - EASEL
25 - Ran on to go to the erstwhile capital of an Asian country - RANGOON
26 - Ordered to an isle in a detached situation - ISOLATE
27 - Hideaway provided by South-East Mediterranean island - SECRETE
28 - Arrange to lie in tent to give claim - ENTITLE
DOWN
1 - Treats bad habits very badly – ILL USES
2 - Announce in last month real alternative - DECLARE
3 - A harvest on new soil in ancient Greece - ACROPOLIS
4 - Constricted form for a shorthand character - STENO
5 - The warder is no vegetarian apparently - BEEFEATER
6 - Titles given to Muslim leaders - IMAMS
7 - Upon oath, Lee glad to have informed court - ALLEGED
8 - Total possessions of property - ESTATES
14 - Seen to ride around dwelling place - RESIDENCE
15 - He’s given unwarranted responsibility - SCAPEGOAT
16 - Taking care of charges they’re timid - COWARDS
17 - Able to con a dim character like him - DOMINIC
19 - Immediate? No, just a moment - INSTANT
20 - Fish with a Midas look? - GOLDEYE
22 - The ball not in possession of any footballer - LOOSE
23 - Disturbing sound - NOISE

4 comments:

  1. Another co-owner approves memberships.
    I used my privilege as the co-owner and moderator of the Orkut community and visited it to find that no request from you is pending.
    Hope it is approved.
    If not, please send a mail to chaturvasi AT yahoo DOT com and I will look into it.
    The idea in limiting four answers per member is to allow greater participation.
    You may if you wish visit www DOT fifteensquared DOT net where I - i another avatar - have just blogged on today's crossword in The Financial Times of the UK. There one blogger gives all the answers and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As regards the Financial Times CW I do not want to get into another one as I already do the TOI and The Chicago Tribune (Online) which keeps me quite busy in addition to this one.
    Thanks anyway. Shall check my mail if membership is approved.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colonel,
    May I invite you to read my interview here:
    http://www.crosswordunclued.com/
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chaturvasi,
    Excellent interview and good tips for beginners. I too use all the techniques you have mentioned and like you no one had taught me how to do it. I cannot remember how and when I got hooked onto crosswords,as you have mentioned neither of my parents were into doing crosswords. Anyway having been in the army initially I was hooked onto the Indian Expressm in the my latter part of my service I switched over to The Hindu and for the last three to four years I do the TOI as well. The TOI is not the cryptic one of course and is syndicated from The Tribune in the US. They are publishing them after three months almost it has a lot of American slangs and names of Baseball players. Since I too am retired I spend my morning hours doing this.
    Regards,
    Deepak Gopinath

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com