Sunday 3 May 2009

No 2531, Sunday, 03 May 09

Tough one today, had to google a couple of answers. 20A eludes me totally even though it is just a four letter word
ACROSS
1 - Embedded in a river in a city down under (8) – {A}{DE{LAID}E}
5 - Trainee cuddling that girl, an innocent looking child (6) – C{HER}UB
9 - Soporific drug helps eating disorder (8,7) – SLEEPING DRAUGHT*
11 - Tense rep felt cup shaking (10) – PLUPERFECT* Didn’t remember that this was another word for Past Perfect tense
12 - Lake in game reserve (4) – MERE [T]
14 - Very quick approaching new English city (7) – PRESTO{N}
15 - Vagrant in Bow sits tight, pointing to musicians (7) – OBO{ISTS*} Anno for OBO not clear it maybe (-h)OBO but how Bow is connected not clear
16 - Item taken from lorry, extremely large (7) – ARTIC{L(-arg)E} Artic – Lorry ?
18 - Girl heading for Karachi on a busy train (7) – {K}ATRINA*
20 - Start from 'Go' (4) – T?R?
21 - Narrow strait in Solent - help required to alter course (10) – HELLESPONT* Needed a Anagram solver and Google help to get this one. Had heard the word earlier but just couldn’t remember it.
24 - Scared, girl and boy eating northern dish (7,8) – CHICKEN {MARY}{LA{N}D} Recipe for the same is available at the link, enjoy.
25 - Food store, kosher, set back across the road (6) – LA{RD}ER<-
26 - Try to catch words of approval (4,4) – HEAR HEAR (~here here)
DOWN
1 - Sit up following a Greek author (5) – {A}ESOP<-
2 - Carry out excavation in river (English) (7) – EX{E}{CUT}E
3 - A precept I amended to accommodate northern student (10) – APPRE{N}TICE*
4 - Condemn teen if playing Crosby song (4,5,2,2) – DON’T FENCE ME IN*
6 - Car of little value without a roof (4) – (-c)HEAP
7 - Go back on Greek vessel around end of June (7) – {RE}{GR}{(-jun)E}{SS}
8 - Repeatedly hit the main district in London (9) – BATTER{SEA}
10 - Heroic intern from Cook County? (6,7) – DOCTOR KILDARE Had to do a google search to get the second part of the answer
13 - Prophet, for example, coming in to shore, adrift (10) – SOOTH{SAY}ER*
14 - Hard-nosed, like Eliot's cats? (9) – PRACTICAL [CD]
17 - Row about stray dog (7) – T{ERR}IER
19 - Quarantine one thus after a certain time (7) – {I}{SO}LATE
22 - Architectural style seen in centre of Cardiff during organised tour (5) – TU{D}OR*
23 - Might this tourist centre be Heaven on Earth, at first? (4) – SKY{E}

15 comments:

  1. Bar posting the cluesheet in our Orkut community with my four answers, I didn't solve this one. (You can guess why!)

    I am just answering your queries.

    15a: Bow is part of East London where Cockney is spoken. They would pronounce Hobo as 'obo.

    16: artic. is abbr. for articulated lorry - which of course you would know.

    21: Hellespont was the river which Leander crossed nightly to visit his sweetheart Hero, I think. Please check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read some of those cat poems by Eliot. Macavity is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 26a: While posting my answers elsewhere I saw HEAR HEAR but did not enter it as I was not sure then of the anno.
    I don't think it's a homophone. I believe it's a double def. If one's partially deaf, one may have to HEAR, HEAR (keep on hearing carefully) to catch what others are saying. The other def is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chaturvasi for 15A and 16A, yes I do know articulated lorry but we do not have the abvn artic for it.
    I have provide a link for Hellespont as a narrow strait, it has something to do with Xerxes I of Persia, no idea about Leander.
    How about 20A?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20d: Was thinking even as I was writing these messages.
    I think it is TURN.
    Two def.
    TURN: When you "turn red" (say) you "start to be embarrassed".
    TURN: When I take a turn at the ammikkal, giving a respite to my wife, I am having a 'go'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 26A It can be a homophone cum double definition

    Try to catch = HERE HERE is what people would shout to indicate where a thief is hiding
    Words of approval = HEAR HEAR

    But then the answer is also a homophone of HERE HERE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that you mention it TURN seems ok as 'Having a go' would mean taking a turn; but then why the 'Start'

    ReplyDelete
  8. 26a: Deepak, you have a better interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Bhargav is litening in lets get his reasoning for TURN as he has added it at the Orkut community

    ReplyDelete
  10. We often say, Now it's your turn.
    When it is your turn you have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed, but why add 'Start' in the clue?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 20A: The shock factor. "The sight of him here gave me a turn/start".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last comment as I am going out.
    As Go is in apostrophes I presume the setter means to Start from the word Go on a gameboard like in LUDO etc, which would mean it is ones turn to start from Go

    ReplyDelete
  14. 20. Turn means 'start' as in 'at the turn of twenty first century'

    - Thanks ...dk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a tiny clue, such a multitude of interpretations! [My head has started to turn, I'd better go.]

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com