Wednesday 3 June 2009

No 9549, Wednesday, 03 Jun 09, Sankalak

ACROSS
1 - Liveliness shown in cartoon-making (9) - ANIMATION [CD]
5 - Sniff out bad smells (5) - NIFFS*
8 - The most important friend skirts around border… (6) - P{RIM}AL
9 - … and reportedly looks at fish as a means of moving in a freeze (3,5) - ICE(~eyes) SKATE
11 - Persuade helmsman to pocket article (4) - CO{A}X
12 - The state of being a father, or mother — criminal! (10) - PARENT{HOOD}
14 - Epic Greek work that one Irish House returned (5) - I{LIAD<-}
15 - No longer in service (7) - RETIRED [CD]
16 - Earthworm, perhaps, that Ann lied about (7) - ANNELID*
17 - A bulb capable of producing tears (5) - ONION [CD]
19 - In the nether regions of the Pacific, say, boy is firmly held (4-6) - DEEP SEA{TED}
20 - A bachelor, but endless slogger in government (4) - {BA}BU(-t)
22 - One of two identities Polonius cautioned against (8) - BORROWER [CD]
23 - It could bring good luck in master’s place of rest (6) - {MAS}COT
24 - Follow directions, girl! (5) - {EN}SUE
25 - Promiscuous person, grown up before dawn of reason (9) - {ADULT}{ERE}{R}
DOWN
1 - Shaggy-haired creature from a strange place (not eastern) within the borders of Argentina (6) - A{LPAC(-e)*}A
2 - Non-genuine gems — for the ‘cultured’ ones? (9,6) - IMITATION PEARLS [CD] Can cultured Pearls be classified as Imitation Gems?
3 - First man to form a barrier (5) - A{DAM} Typo in number of letters
4 - Energy produced by Apsara perhaps (7,5) - NUCLEAR POWER [DD] How is Apsara and Nuclear Power linked
5 - One feature close to another is how traffic moves in a jam (4,2,4) - NOSE TO TAIL [CD]
6 - Monosodium glutamate for one (7,8) - FLAVOUR ENHANCER [CD]
7 - With a drug, the journalist moved fast (7) - SPEED{ED}
10 - Means of catching one unawares for the viewers’ pleasure (6,6) - CANDID CAMERA [CD]
13 - Shooting aid with which soldiers get by (10) - FIELDSCOPE [CD] Poor clue, answer to whcih comes out only after getting all the crossoings
16 - A builder, corrupt, losing right, can be heard (7) - AUDIBLE(-r)*
18 - Watch for one that goes after game (6) - HUNTER [DD]
21 - Angler’s lure (4) - BAIT [CD]

15 comments:

  1. Mr Neelamegham (that's how I interpret Bluerains!),
    Please see my notes on Hal for Henry in the Comments section of yesterday's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apsara is India's first reactor!

    http://www.thecolorsofindia.com/interesting-facts/science-and-technology/india-first-nuclear-reactor.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. APSARA- is a nuclear reactor

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ 13 D - Sir, wouldnt riflescope be a better solution since fieldscopes are generally used with cameras while riflescopes are directly mounted on rifles, which ar emore pertinent to soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIFLESCOPE was Bhargav's answer in the Orkut community The Hindu Crossword Solutions but I don't find it in the Chambers!
    Will look up some more dicts. in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 24 Across, i thought " GUIDES",drawing from the Girl guides .

    23 Across , i thought "BUDDHA" on the lines of laughing buddha

    8 Across was hard to chew for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Vasi Sir, Riflescope is there in The Concise Oxford Dictionary which i ve been having since my childhood. Am surprised that Chambers does not have it!! I actually got the solution from the crossings and checked it up in the dictionary.

    Riflescope - telescopic sight for rifle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The COD that I have is Tenth Edition (1999). It does not record RIFLESCOPE. Some words are weeded out in later editions or special editions (what I have is an Indian edition) and it's probable that word was taken away to make place for others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fieldscope is a better option than Riflescope, though I do not think there is a word Riflescope, even fieldscope for that matter appears only in brand names, I couldn't find it as a word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gemini,
    This is how the two answers come about
    24 - Follow directions, girl! (5) - {EN}SUE
    Follow = Required definition
    directions = EN ( East & North)
    girl = SUE
    That's how we get {EN}{SUE}

    23 - It could bring good luck in master’s place of rest (6) - {MAS}COT

    Bring good luck = Required definition
    master's = MA'S (Master of Arts)
    place of rest = COT
    That's how we get {MAS}{COT}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sankalak over at the ORKUT Community has confirmed the answer to be RIFLESCOPE so the indecision has come to an end, but the dialogue continues

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a regular solver and a member of the orkut community.

    Suddenly in 2 days 2 setters have sprung up out of thin air to appear in our communities. Doesn't this raise any suspicion in your minds?? Both orkut profiles are fresh as well.

    Are these really the setters themselves or one of our expert solvers posing or playing a prank?? Think! Think!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Anonymous,
    How come you are anonymous here, if you are a member over at Orkut I am sure you could come out with your reasons there, why post here?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well... Time for me to clear up some mess I had unintentionally created!

    I have been in the community for over a year and a half now and I have developed and honed most of my skills only through the interactions therein. Hence I am grateful to the moderators, esp C Vasi sir.

    I never really meant to accuse them of impersonating as setters. Instead, after so many days of solving and so many vain attempts at searching these people out in some social networking site, suddenly to have two of them amongst ourselves was quite incredible for me, and I think it ought to be so for any conscious human being!

    We started mingling quite naturally with them, yet I had this serious inner doubt lingering inside me. I clearly did not want myself and other ace solvers and experts of the community to be construed as gullible by some impostor (if at all - worst case scenario). After all cruciverbalism is no rocket science and it is not impossible for some good solver to impersonate as them.

    I also did not want to be remembered for spreading bad blood within ourselves. Guest ill-treatment fundamentally violates Tamil tenets! It was imperative that I pose as an anonymous (never mind that I revealed my state ;))

    Logic dictates that scepticism is always good to a certain extent and I am sure that I have not surpassed my limits. I respect all senior citizens and senior solvers of our group and words will never suffice to describe my admiration for them!

    To the newcomers, a hearty thanks and welcome if you are the real setters of The Hindu. If you aren't, then you can enjoy a whale of a time here but be ashamed of yourself for your cowardly act.

    PS: Thanks and sorry to Col. for using your forum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lets close this issue here with no further discussion and concentrate on the clues, their solutions and critique

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com