Friday 13 November 2009

No 9687, Friday 13 Nov 09, Nita Jaggi

Bye-bye NJ
ACROSS
1 - Put out a big party (7) - BLOWOUT [DD]
5 - Company rejects the colour of the low grade fuel (6) - {OC<-}{TAN}{E}
10 - Walk about with a dispirited team around the seal cutting the corner (8) - AM{BU}{L}ATE* What is BU (Addendum - AM{BUL(-l)}ATE* - See Maddy's comments below)
11 - Develop an island over the year (6) - CRE{A}TE
13 - Shout to postpone the game (4) - CALL [DD]
14 - Approved of the bill record over the counter (10) - {AC}C{EP}{TABLE} An extra C here unless we take ACC for bill as against the normal AC
16 - Break the granule without the layer for the monkey (6) - LANGUR(-e)*
18 - Instrument for the man in Missouri is in an incomplete condition (8) - {HE}{MO}{STAT(-e)}
21 - Shoeless graduate is again in the infantry (8) - {BA}{RE}{FOOT}
22 - Strong mental state? Not exactly religious! (6) - BELIEF [CD]
25 - Device broken down under carts (10) - TRANSDUCER*
27 - It may stain one’s character! (4) - BLOT [E]
30 - Call forth the Spanish I see with the sex appeal (6) - {EL}{I}{C}{IT}
31 - Defensive barrier around the military prison (8) - STOCKADE [DD]
32 - Indian army has a note on the legislative body (6) - {SENA}{TE}
33 - Established the French religion (7) - {DE}{CREED}
DOWN
2 - A couple of learners hold the sailor with an English tag (5) - L{AB}{E}L
3 - Rising sound of the noisy animal (4) - {WOL<-}{F}
4 - Anyhow curtail out the length of the plant (6) - URTICA(-l)*
6 - Weight of an orange root, overheard (5) - CARAT(~carrot)
7 - An American soldier holds an Arab kind of dry joss stick (9) - {A}{G{ARBA*}{TT}I}
8 - Lady will sleep in the mountain (7) - {EVE}{REST}
9 - Is able to see the Spanish end the contract (6) - {CAN}{C}{EL}
12 - Cap of the head boy is on the broken tree (5) - {B}ERET*
15 - Horseracing on artificial grass (4) - TURF [E]
17 - Telling a story to a knight on arrival at ten in Norway (9) - {N}{ARR}{AT}{IO}{N}
19 - Peon is out in public (4) - OPEN*
20 - Public meeting in the university is in the capital of Manila (5) - {FOR}{U}{M}
21 - Member leaves the tumbles arranged by the servants (7) - BUTLE{R}S(-m)* Where did R come from?
23 - Christian cleric is an authoritative figure (6) - FATHER [DD]
24 - Housed permanently (6) - SETTLE [CD]
26 - Holy man is South Africa is at home with the New Testament (5) - {SA}{I}{NT} an extra N here
28 - General is covering a small contract (5) - LE{A}{S}E
29 - Mark left on the side of the vehicle (4) - {S}CAR


Black squares - 67 (29%)
White squares - 158

GRID

23 comments:

  1. 24 - Housed permanently (6) - SETTLED [DD]
    needs to be corrected - it is a 6 letter word

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandhya,
    I have corrected the main post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,
    Regarding your comment in yesterdays post, my sympathies are with you as regards NJ's (a she by the way)French faux-pas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had all-correct solutions today. But there is a wrong one, 5 across. My wild guess was SCRAPE (Scrap = company rejects + ????).

    There were a few wild guesses as well.

    10 ac - What is BU? - asks Col. I too would like to know. Same about 14 ac - re: an additional 'C', 21 dn - 'R' in 'BUTLERS' and an extra 'N' in 26 dn - SAINTS.

    33 ac - Established the French religion (7) - {DE}{CREED} - Yesterday, David had pointed out this goof-up. It is repeated today. 'De' means 'of' in French. Shall we exclaim, "Oh mon Dieu" or just relax with a cool "c'est la vie!" (No Fox's Paw here, Col !)

    I was to add a comment about 24 dn - but Sandhya has already posted it. But then the clue too is wrong - it should have been 'house' and not 'housed'.

    However, words like 'Urtica', 'Hemostat' and 'Agarbatti' were good.

    By the way, who is next in the pecking order from tomorrow?



    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomorrow onwards it's Gridman for 6 days less Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reg - Walk about with a dispirited team around the seal cutting the corner (8) - AM{BU}{L}ATE* What is BU
    I think anno is AM{BUL-(l)}ATE*
    - Bull being the word for seal as in Papal bull . Chambers def reproduced -

    bull (noun) an official letter or written instruction from the Pope, with the papal seal attached.
    ETYMOLOGY: 14c; 13c meaning only the seal itself: from Latin bulla a lead seal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 24 - Housed permanently (6) - SETTLE [CD]

    I came with a comment for the above but richlas has anticipated me.

    Deepak, you followed your instinct in giving a correct answer to the clue as written and I am really sorry for you that now you should provide an answer that is actually inappropriate.

    The clue as written can only lead to SETTLED.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reg 20Dn, the answer is evident, but where does {FOR} come from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ramya,
    FOR comes from 'in'
    Chaturvasi,
    In the print edition I had correctly written SETTLE, later while putting it in my blog I was typing the answers as I was reading the clue that's how it was entered as SETTLED which it should have actually been as pointed out by you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can 'in' give 'for'?

    Can anyone give me a sentence with 'in' and another where 'in' is substitited by 'for'?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apologies to NJ for my sexist assumption, it appears my indian name recognition is on a par with HER french!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re "for" and "in" I guess they are nearest when meaning "during". I suppose you could say "He was my teacher for my first year at college" and "He was my teacher in my first year at college" but still think that it is stretching it a bit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nestle, instantly? Not my cup of tea...

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  14. 21 dn:The extra R could have been from 'Tumblers'.
    Seems to be a typo

    ReplyDelete
  15. 24 down. can it not be "sealed"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not convinced with "for" for "in". Its goofy:-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. David, one would usually say: "He was my teacher during my first year at college"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ramya thanks once again for initiating this lively FORUM--( for and 'in', in close succession!)

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com