Friday 8 January 2010

No 9735, Friday 08 Jan 09, Sankalak

ACROSS
1 - It is important enough to run across the page in big letters (6,8) - BANNER HEADLINE [CD]
8 - Courses of action covering the right vessels (6) - LINE{R}S
9 - Name of a subordinate beginning to nullify a portent (8) - {COG}{N}{OMEN}
11 - Business expenses which are beyond the principals (9) - {OVER}{HEADS}
12 - Body tissue that gives courage (5) - NERVE [DD]
13 - Group of three in a Cambridge college (7) - TRINITY [DD]
15 - Sound record by one about fifty (7) - {LOG}{I}{CA}{L}
17 - Patterns made from French symbols (7) - {DE}{SIGNS}
19 - The type of role that an aspiring actor wants (7) - STELLAR [CD]
21 - Expensive cereal runs short in the outskirts of Paraguay (5) - P{RIC(-e)}Y
23 - Oddly conservative in nature? Not sure (9) - UN{C}ERTAIN*
25 - Worthy of praise is a nobleman reportedly skilled (8) - (~lord){LAUD}{ABLE}
26 - Potassium hydroxide, say (6) - ALKALI [CD] I wrote POTASH first and got stuck for a while
27 - System of spreading warmth in general that collapses after onset of cloud-burst (7,7) - {C}ENTRAL HEATING*
DOWN
1 - Remove water from the boat for a drink during a boxing match (4,3) - B{ALE} OUT
2 - For the time being it is a part of a marathon on certain conditions (5) - NONCE [T]
3 - A human on another planet maybe (9) - EARTHLING [CD]
4 - Awakening from sleep makes Laura so upset (7) - AROUSAL*
5 - Material that gives one a right around the north (5) - LI{N}EN
6 - REC alumni surprised when expressed in numbers (9) - NUMERICAL*
7 - Remove the cover and open to public view (6) - UNVEIL [CD]
10 - Military wing secures a victory in American city (4) - N{A}{V}Y
14 - Crazy IIT student drops dead in a place of learning (9) - INSTITUTE(-d)*
16 - Such warfare is for independent fighters (9) - GUERRILLA [E]
17 - Handout, about one penny, for current separation (6) - D{I}{P}OLE
18 - Mantis shrimp, one caught in raging squall (7) - SQU{I}LLA*

19 - Get it and lose the job! (4) - SACK [CD]
20 - Recognised level in a competition managed by ruler (7) - {RAN}{KING}
22 - It makes the dough rise in an unknown direction (5) - {Y}{EAST}
24 - Calculators found in a ramshackle cabin, not new (5) - {A}BACI(-n)*



7 comments:

  1. After a head-reeling orbit into the heavenly patterns and the outer space the other day, it was a 'down-to-earth' Neyartha today !

    Could complete the entire c/w pretty fast, in spite of a late-night wedding party.

    Some nice clues: 1A, 9A, 25A, 27A etc.


    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,
    Hangover effects!! It's Sankalak and not Neyartha.
    Sankalak is always soothing as he comes after a heavy dose of Neyartha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear ! I beg your pardon.


    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,
    Re Shuchi's interview as suggested yesterday all of you can send in suggetsed questions and I will compile them and send it across to her. You could send them to my e-mail ID deepakgita@gmail.com please dod not put them in here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Col.,

    I see that you were in Coimbatore for the Engg. Degree.

    I myself was in CIT 1973-78 - Chem Engg

    Just curious, which college were you in & which years?

    Regards/Pammechchu
    pammechchu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deepak,
    Re questions for interviewing Shuchi.
    I was thinking exactly on those lines but at the last minute checked myself that it would be impertinent on my part to make any such suggestion.
    Now that you have yourself suggested that anyone may send questions to you for conducting the email interview (or are you going to call her to your home for a face-to-face interview with other faces watching?), I shall shoot some which may leave her nuts making her bolt; she may be pleased, puzzled, embarrassed or angry. You can be selective if you so wish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pammechchu,
    I was at PSG Tech, Mech Engg in fact first I did PTC (first year of the diploma at PSG Polytechnic 68-69) instead of PUC, then my engg from 70 to 75, took 6 years instead of the 5 as I fooled around too much and had to miss a year.
    I remember BABA? from your college, he was part of the CIT ownership, and had a music group as well.

    @Chaturvasi,

    No face-to-face I shall e-mail them to her, whether she will bolt as you say on seeing your questions, I'll leave it to her, but I don't think that will happen as she appears to me as a person who has got a very well balanced approach to everything.
    I shall definitely be selective so as to avoid any embarassment. So send in your questions.

    Last date for questions is eclipse day tht's 15 Jan, a week from today

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com