Sunday 25 April 2010

No 2582, Sunday 25 Apr 10

I am off to Guruvayur for a  temple darshan today, will be back only in the evening, shall pop in from Trichur when I break for lunch at a friends place.
ACROSS
1   - Widely admired tree round university (7) – POP{U}LAR
5   - Wear out short military overalls (7) – FATIGUES [DD]
9   - Bird in farmhouse larder (5) – OUSEL [T]

10 - George, with trendy friend, meeting one in gaudy bar (3,6) – {G}{IN} {PAL}{ACE}
11 - What's bound to put an end to children's game? (9) – {HOP}{SCOTCH}

12 - Military decoration, we hear, for a compere (5) – EMCEE (~MC)
13 - Low, perhaps, a US art critic abroad (12) – CARICATURIST*
17, 20 - Elephant seal, twice floundering, has to make a fresh start (4,3,5,5) – WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN
21 - Take choir out for a kind of tea that may be served in Hanoi (9) – ARTICHOKE*
23 - Widdicombe Fair chap pointing to fruit in book (3,6) – {TOM {PEARS}E}
24 - Brush stroke (5) – SWEEP [CD]
25 - Reveal former printing machine (7) – {EX}{PRESS}
26 - Senator solved crime (7) – TREASON*
DOWN
1   - Prediction of support by ambassador on Cyprus (8) – {PROP}{HE}{CY}
2   - Free ticket left with travel document (8) – {PASS}{PORT}
3   - Ring up about one flowering shrub (5) – L{I}LAC <- )

4   - Reference book - author gets users confused (6,9) – ROGETS THESAURUS My favourite when tackling crosswords
5   - The current chefs working in a London station (9,6) – FENCHURCH STREET*
6   - Goes across with dramatist touring south-east (9) – TRAVER{SE}S
7   - Mineral used to make good long weapon (6) – {G}{LANCE} Hearing this for the first time
8   - Small opening I, reportedly, must have allowed (6) – (~i){EYE}{LET}
14 - All the customers tell niece off (9) – CLIENTELE*
15 - Titled lady one's seen in pubs (8) – {BAR{ONES}S}
16 - Play safe and bowl (5,3) – {PETER} {PAN}
18 - Bushwhacker injured chest round end of July (6) – SC{Y}THE*

19 - Come together in side at college (4,2) – {TEAM} {UP}
22 - Class actors close to home (5) – {CAST}{E}


9 comments:

  1. SOMETHING RARE HAS HAPPENED TODAY: Artichoke in 21a, we had this word in the exact number 21a yesterday in Manna’s: Arthur and I have difficulty swallowing a vegetable. Surprising, if you consider the fact that the sources of both puzzles, the grid and the location in the grid are ALL different. (see my comments on TOI Sunday puzzle below)
    Deja vu continues:
    1a Popular: I had just used this on 23rd April in my 8:45 am post when commenting on Oslo: there was a time when Nairobi used to be a turn in a tree. Now it turns up as a university instead of a turn.
    Slate re-appers in Wipe the Slate Clean 12,20a
    (The worst sense of déjà vu is in the TOI, Bangalore edition: they have repeated the Sunday Crossword, thus robbing me of one of my Sunday activities: Everything the grid, the clues are all SAME ;-( )
    15 letters: Roget’s Thesaurus, Fenchurch Street were nice, but Peter Pan 16d was the best (Play = Peter Pan, Safe=Peter, Bowl=Pan)
    Pairs: Gin Palace & London Station being typical British stuff , MC and Fatigue: the martial words
    Glance as a sulphide of lead was a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning all.

    PETER PAN and GLANCE eluded me. Some superb anagrams.

    Good analysis, Kishore. Any ESP at work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Peter Pan but dropped it because I could not find an anno. Moment I saw Deepak's post it suddenly dawned on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you all notice something? Yesterday (Sat Apr 24) on this blog there was a plethora of very informative posts, unrelated to crosswords though.

    But later on THIRTEEN posts have been deleted by the respective authors. Any clues, friends?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Richard: ESP? You know I am an ET (crossword) fan. The truth is out there whether you believe in SETI or the X files.

    Regarding the missing posts, I can only hazard a guess: ESP again (Easily Scratched Posts that the posts may be sensitive/secretive/not for public consumption)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding posts on the armed forces, I thought I will restrict myself to Sundays. So here goes.

    The Indian Air Force was established in 1932 had its first base at Drigh Road, Karachi, with Westland Wapities. Their first mission: against tribesmen in Miranshah, North Waziristan is still being carried out by the Pak forces.

    The first 3 chiefs after Indian idependence were British: Tommy Elmhirst, Ronald Chapman and Gerald Gibbs, all KBE in addition to having individual AFC or MC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,
    Back after Guruvayur darshan, the queue was more than a mile long without exageration, in addition there were 150 weddings!!!!! I didn't have the courage to stand in that line in the oppresive heat so prayed from outside, my wife of course took a side entrance and joined the ladies queue and took 2 hours to go through.

    @Richard,
    I too was surprised to see the deletions in yesterday's comments which included a mail to me by Venkatesh and as CV has correctly mentioned I didn't have the time to clear it out as I left at 6 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hindu used to reproduce (David) Low cartoons. This was at a time when I was a student reading newspapers.
    One misses Shanker's Weekly that was a cartoonists' magazine.
    A study of when Indian newspapers started using cartoons by in-house cartoonists would be interesting.
    R.K. Laxman, a great cartoonist, no doubt about it. But ToI or B&C Co. needn't hang on to him as they seem to do.
    I remember The Indian Express appointing Abu on his return from the UK. Then TH taking in Unny before he moved elsewhere.
    I liked Sudhir Tailang's work.
    Ajit Ninan from his Target days: I see him as a creator par excellence of cartoons rather than a political cartoonist. Even today I admire the small, small details tucked away in a pocket cartoon.
    In the late Eighties Keshav was appointed by TH before a second cartoonist joined him.
    As for recent cartoonists in Tamil magazines, one who immediately impressed me was Madhan. And in recent years Mathi of Dinamani. There are others but a successful illustrator may not be a successful cartoonist. I just can't think of any other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, as Venkatesh was reminiscing about the doctor who delivered him, I found he was refering to my uncle. So we exchanged some notes incl names, email addresses. It was a spur of the moment thing.

    A few messages deleted in the interest of other peoples' privacy is a small price to pay, I'm sure.

    It's great that this forum can bring people together. People who didn't even know that they had a connection between them.

    Have a nice weekend, whatever's left of it :)

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com