Thursday 26 August 2010

No 9931, Thursday 26 Aug 10, Nita Jaggi

Surprisingly a decent offering from NJ today with very few discrepancies or nonsensical clues (not considering Grammar or surface reading), like someone said the other day she does seem to be improving.
ACROSS
1   - Will power to mostly control the leaderless community (13) - {DETERMINe}{nATION}
8   - When the famous person is not in Israel with the business partner (9) - ASSOCIATE Anno pending

9   - Goes on heartily encouraging the workers (5) - {R}{ANTS}


10 - Man somehow has-been dismissing the second language (7) - {G}{HANESEb*}
12 - Premier structure has no hand in this company (6) - EMPIREr*
14 - Reprobation of doubt following the One Day International (5) - {ODI}{UM}
16 - Declares the small tip-off methods (4) - {S}{wAYS}
19 - Smooth revolver (4) - IRON [DD]
20 - Introduced the resplendent form outside the borders of London (9) - PRESENTEDln*
21 - Kind of exam for the Irish leader in an Italian port (4) -{BAR}{I}
22 - Each of the players finally take the first bridge position (4) - {EA}{S}{T}
25 - Durban's province is in this kind of chart (5) - NATAL [DD]
27 - Fixing an architectural decoration, overheard (6) - FREEZE (~frieze)
29 - Method to learn poems (2,5) - BY HEART [CD]
32 - Guide for an American husband forever (5) - {US}{H}{ER}
33 - Woman gardener working, fails to notice the tree (9) - {EVE}{RGREENad*}
34 - Shrine gets art constructing devices (13) - STRAIGHTENERS*
DOWN
2   - Different castes ultimately enjoy bliss (7) - {ECSTAS*}{Y}
3   - Samuel checks this part of the city (5) - ELCHE [T]
4   - Sound of a demon in distress (6) - MOANED*
5   - Point in the workers putting up the tree (4) - {N{E}EM<-}
6   - Guitar sound (5) - THRUM [E]
7   - Well known suitor soon decides to leave the society (9) - NOTORIOUSs*
8   - Russell George is oddly against the sponsorship (5) - {AE}{G}{I}{S}
11 - Accordingly dispel an omen on an oriental person (7) - {SO}{MEON*}{E}
12 - No time to persuade one student to finally study with no purpose (7) - {tEMPT}{I}{L}{Y}
13 - Satisfaction to sit behind the pony in front (5) - {P}{RIDE}
15 - Still gas (5) - INERT [CD]
17 - So samurai injured has a partial loss of sight (9) - AMAUROSIS*
18 - Barb in the small tree (5) - {S}{PINE}
23 - Not a professional (7) - AMATEUR [E]


24 - It is mounted to regularly train the giant (5) - {TI*}{T}{A}{N} (Correction - {TI<-}{T}{A}{N} - See comments)
26 - Sailor told to go out (6) - {AB}{SENT}
28 - Final letter for the solo piece in the city (5) - {Z}{ARIA}
30 - Gas rises up in one Indian shelter (5) - HOG{AN} Anno pending
31 - Composer will stand without a girl (4) - {BEaR}{G}

39 comments:

  1. Hi
    The centre word PRESENTED*(-ln) places like BAR-I and NATAL. Had to Google AMAUROSIS* and Z-ARIA. I thought what A MATE UR. INERT reminded of a conversation from “Yes Minister” series two Episode Four: The Greasy Pole:

    [No one at the meeting seems to know anything about chemistry.]
    Joan Littler: What does "inert" mean?
    Sir Humphrey: Well it means it's not…ert.
    Bernard: [to himself] Wouldn't ert a fly.

    I had it BY HEART, sot here was no ODIUM trying to recall it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 24D TI<- (IT is mounted) TAN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, not a bad puzzle overall. I know Chaturvasi would disagree and he'd be right. As always, I'll make concessions for this setters.

    I think 8A is {AS}{SOCIA{-LI}TE}... Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8A when=AS,
    famous person = SOCIALITE
    Dont know why LI goes out as 'not in Isreal'

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the famous person is not in Israel with the business partner (9) - ASSOCIATE Anno pending

    {AS}{SOCIA(-li)TE}

    Li is a place in Israel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we gotta familiarize ourselves with Jaggian Algebra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone in the army said, the food is getting better or we are getting used to it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Boolean Algebra is easier. After all 1+1=1, so no need of putting two and two together to get twenty two, four and whatever

    ReplyDelete
  9. 30 - Gas rises up in one Indian shelter (5) - HOG{AN} Anno pending

    HO(G)AN<-?

    (NaOH - Sodium hydroxide)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandhya is right. We seem to be learning Geography today: LI, ELCHE, BARI, GHANESE, EAST, NATAL,...

    ReplyDelete
  11. But Sodium Hydroxide is not really a gas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandhya, your HO(G)AN looks ok, but if G stands for Gas, where is the rising NAOH mentioned in the clue, it aint a gas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or could it be {H} {OGAN*}

    Hydrogen + GOAN rising up wrongly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. VJ, thats more like it, though
    Gas= H
    one Indian=Goan
    Shelter=HOGAN
    but what about 'rises', 'in'. Rises can be a reversal indicator, but AnInd?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kishore, just reread the quote from Yes Minister. It was very funny. Typical British humor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Or it could be {H}{OG <-}{AN}

    H, Hydrogen
    OG, as in GO rising (up = GO rising)
    AN, one

    ReplyDelete
  17. On top of it a Cockney spin on 'ert (~hurt)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Kishore: Lol @ your comment on army food! :-)

    I'm actually finding myself solving a lot more of NJ's stuff, thanks in large part to the explanations on this forum. Part of me is afraid I won't be able to wrap my arms around "regular" crosswords after a week of this!

    However, I still take issue with her lack of grammatical consistency. 27A and 4D stand out in this regard.

    Anyway, it is what it is... I suppose I'm getting used to the food! :-)

    -Hari

    ReplyDelete
  19. I share the general sentiment today that this was overall not a bad crossword. I solved it without much confusion,
    although the annos in some places were confusing. I guess NJ was having a good day...or perhaps it was a potent dose of ECSTASY? Lol.
    Regarding some of the anno discussion going on...


    When the famous person is not in Israel with the business partner (9) - ASSOCIATE Anno pending

    {AS}{SOCIA(-li)TE}

    This is correct. But the LI is coming from Isreal with the inner letters removed, hence the 'not in' ind.

    30 - Gas rises up in one Indian shelter (5) - HOG{AN} Anno pending

    Here I believe 'Indian shelter' is the definition. 'Gas rising' points to 'GA' (AG is the symbol for the gas Argon). But cannot fathom the HON and where it came from...could have been better ways to frame this clue.

    With regards to 'Jaggian Algebra'...this reminds me of my high school maths teacher, whose name was Mrs. Jegadha, nicknamed 'Jaggi' by us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. On second thoughts, for HOGAN, VJ's {H}{OG}{AN} sounds correct.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aash, Argon is Ar... Ag is silver.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no...knew something was amiss. I was never particularly good at chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gas rises up in one Indian shelter (5) - HOG{AN} Anno pending

    just a guess
    H= hydrogen
    OGAN- is anagram of GAON (Indian village)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pal, had you been some cute chic (and not a dude), I'd have let it go. Why, I'd have even argued in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aash, I was just kiddin'. I thought it was obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Deepak, loved your 23d Hey Diddle Diddle..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've developed this habit of solving THC at office everyday (helps me prevent brain atrophy!)... And visit this blog when I think I've hit an absolute dead-end for the day. I've been a silent reader all this while. I couldn't resist dropping in a line today.

    I have a different opinion about today's crossword. I found it more frustrating than NJ's usual standards. Because today, I was trying to solve the crossword in-flight, and didn't have Google to back me up with Geography 101. Medical Conditions and people's names didn't help either.

    Oh, and I think IL= Israel just as IN = India and PK = Pakistan.
    http://www.uspto.gov/patft/help/helpctry.htm

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, and I also have some doubts on a few clues and annos.

    27A - Fixing = Freeze? Isn't there some rule about maintaining tenses?
    32A - This one's more out of ignorance. How is ER = forever?
    30D - @VJ, I'm not too sure about {H}{OG}{AN}. 'go' seems out if place.

    Before I found this blog, I thought I was the only one who dreaded NJ's clues. Am at peace now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Harish - Trust u r the boss of yr office. Lucky u r solving cw at Office

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reminds of a song I love.... hey diddle diddle am playin' my fiddle... ain't got nothin' to lose.... roll over beethoven and tell tchaikovsky the news...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Harish, on 30D... I ain't sure neither. That's exactly why I raised the question. I was just trying to figure out the different possible options. You know, it's like watching a movie like Mullholand drive or Shutter Island.... nothing straight forward.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have you all seen this picture on Anax's site?

    Today’s Indy(a)

    ReplyDelete
  33. He asked me! I had posted this picture on Crossword Unclued's Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have not found today's Crossword any different from the other NJ offerings.I am as frustrated as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Times today had an interesting word (LOL)(LARD).

    LOL appears to be the most popular acronym in this blog seeing the number of times it is used.

    LOLLARD is one of the 14th Century heretics holding views like those of Wycliff.

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOL.... That word really make me laugh

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com