Sunday 12 December 2010

No 2613, Sunday 12 Dec 10

ACROSS
1   - Uplifting song from worker by border (6) – {ANT}{HEM}
5   - Powerless, girl, British, against the Parisian (6) – {UNA}{B}{LE}
10 - It may lead to a divorce if they've arsenic prepared! (5-4,4) – SEVEN-YEAR ITCH*


12 - Ordinary boy following Guevara and Villa, initially (7) – {CHE}{V}{RON}
13 - Ineffectual advice from a conservationist? (7) – {USE}{LESS}
14 - Tries within existing practice (9) – {RE{HEARS}AL}
16 - States opposed? Not quite (5) - AVERSe
18 - Old hat found in cupboard at Eddie's (5) – DATED [T]
19 - Pals booed performing a quick dance (4,5) – PASO DOBLE*
21 - Envoy in capital brought over sovereign (7) – {EM{PER<-}OR<-}
23 - Highly strung member of the Crazy Gang, American (7) – NERVO{US} Anno pending (See Ajeesh's comment below for Anno of NERVO)
25 - Unfortunately harms girl in plant (5,8) – {MARSH*} {MARIGOLD}
26 - Describe an event, clergyman being beheaded (6) – pRELATE
27 - Complete set of religious books discovered in Ireland (6) – {E{NT}IRE}
DOWN
2   - Shelter, then sun is out (6,3) – NISSEN HUT*
3   - Hang Henry More?! (5) – {H}{OVER}
4   - Cruelly spurned, mama and nan in play (3,3,8) – MAN AND SUPERMAN*
6   - She may attend to babe in arms due for a change (9) – NURSEMAID*


7   - Take a swim in city close to seaside (5) – {BATH}{E}
8   - Wild sheep ahead of us in ancient Greek city (7) – {EPHES}{US}
9   - A cocktail's qualities, nurse recollected (7,7) – TEQUILA SUNRISE*
11 - Damage small vehicle (4) – {S}{CAR}
15 - Trees, all the rage in Hants town (9) – {ALDERS}{HOT}
17 - Dress up bride more elaborately (9) – EMBROIDER*
18 - Mitty type, gloomy ringing me (7) – {DREA{ME}R}
20 - Bridge player, female, leaving banquet (4) - fEAST
22 - Pier collapsing - 50 in danger (5) – {PERI*}{L}
24 - Poke around bottom of Tigris for perch (5) – {ROO{S}T}

11 comments:

  1. 23A
    From Wikipedia,
    The Crazy Gang were a group of British entertainers, formed in the early 1930s. In the mature form the group's six men were Bud Flanagan, Chesney Allen, Jimmy Nervo, Teddy Knox, Charlie Naughton and Jimmy Gold.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crazy_Gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kishore
    I cold-solved - and cold-solved instantly - both your clues in Comments under Shuchi's lates blog.
    I didn't even notice the mistake in enu of the first clue.
    Would I have solved these if they had been given elsewhere - without knowledge of the contents of the post? I think I would have done so.
    BTW, did you read:
    http://www.crosswordunclued.com/2010/11/so-slips-might-not-show.html
    Did you read the story on a mathemagician in a Dec issue of The Week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last of the crosswords which can be completed while exercising. The fun and games begin tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been ages since the blog saw a day with comments in single digits like today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemme try to bump it up a wee bit.

    I was away the whole day and left early. I have not yet even put pen to paper, the only clews I solved were on CV's Orkut group.

    Deepak, no worry, the average will be considerably bumped up come the morrow.

    CV, did viewing the slip make you blush and bring a dash of rouge to your cheeks, dimpled or pimpled or simpled ??? BTW, shall try to read the article referred by you.

    And for those who object to my spelling of a certain word in the above lines, this was a valid spelling some years back. If you think I am spinning a yarn, so be it, since it is the yarn that Theseus used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CV, ref to your Head Reeling in Orkut:

    Maidan khaali karne ka wakt aa gaya hai. I am sure Shuchi is up to it :-). Young blood, higher IQ. I plan to take up astronomy. In fact, I mentioned a few days back that I spent the night on the tiles. What I meant was star gazing and not whatever anybody interpreted it to mean. I plan to spend quite a few days at the Kodai observatory this month and will be missing from around Christmas time. I have spent time there earlier and this time Deepak's reference to earthworms at S&B@, reminded me that I should take forward my interest on wormholes with certain academicians at the Indian Institute of Astrophysics at Kodai. Of course, I shall take the opportunity to stick my oars into the lake everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the eighth and possibly last post today. Request Deepak to look at it sideways. It will look like the highest posts ever...

    DDS, of course, will be happy I said this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gaffe in the deleted post has upset the numbering till deleted by Deepak, but what the heck.

    Delighted to know that IAF's C-130J will be appearing in Aero India 2011 !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look Deepak, I single-handedly bumped it up to 10, even after deletion of the post.

    No, I am lying, I used both hands.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com