Thursday 27 January 2011

No 10062, Thursday 27 Jan 11, Gridman

ACROSS
1   - Head to go after section here in France and get in the act! (11) - {PART}{ICI}{PATE}
9   - Knocking sound made by Rex on emptied apartment thrice (3-1-3) - {R}{AT}-{A-T}{AT}
10 - Become nervous as teens swarm on you softly? (5,2) - {TENSE*} {U}{P}
11 - Holy man sorrowful having lost time in hovel (5) - {SAD}{HUt}
12 - Jaws bind awkwardly in men (9) - {MA{NDIB*}LES}
13 - Eye doctor has no stone for round windows (5) - OCULIst
15 - What may be in a botanist's folder (5,4) - LOOSE LEAF [CD]
18 - Bargee, get fresh supply of kitchen equipment (3-6) - EGG-BEATER*
21 - Giant painter one ignored (5) - TITiAN
22 - Joiner's tool — without which a jigsaw will have hole in the middle (6,3) - {CENTRE} {BIT}
24 - C.M.? No, turn around expansively for an event manager in short (5) - {EM}{CEE}
26 - Patch going around one jawan (7) - {SOLD{I}ER}
27 - Foreign national gets a letter sequence — a new one (7) - {A}{FGH}{A}{N}{I}
28 - Unpaid? Excellent! (11) - OUTSTANDING [DD]
DOWN
1   - Angels manage with viewing device (9) - {PERIS}{COPE} My COD
2   - Scolded for having given a speech without Head of Operations in attendance (5) - oRATED
3   - Footloose Siva entering in real surroundings: entering without right (9) - {IN}{TRU{SIVa}E}
4   - Of the innermost coat in tin mali rubbed off (7) - INTIMAL*
5   - Shakespearean character: worker followed by most of the head (7) - {ANT}{ONIOn}
6   - Boredom shown by drunken nuisance-creators (5) - ENNUI [T]
7   - Such a secret is not likely to have leaked out (4-4) - WELL-KEPT [CD]
8   - Work, old, gets endless promotion (4) - {O}{PUSh}
14 - Fellow following old city to play every other, losing no time (8) - {UR}{GENT}{pLaY}
16 - Oriental, then gone round for soma, for instance (9) - {E}{NTHEOGEN*}
17 - As done in a digital examination (9) - FINGERING [CD]
19 - Silk for nude in gallery limitless (7) - {TA{BARE}Te}
20 - Engineers on field take back (7) - {RE}{TRACT}
22 - Curse copper on ship (4) - {CU}{SS}
23 - Roughly horn catching one for money (5) - {RH{I}NO*}
25 - Fur on one tropical mammal (5) - {COAT}{I}



30 comments:

  1. Just wondering whether Deepak can introduce another set of Reactions:
    Very hard :: Hard :: Easy :: Very easy
    (Or some such scale)
    Navneeth: See late reactions to your pic in the Comments section of yesterday's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with CVasi Sir's idea. People may mark some crossword as satisfactory just because they found it difficult, though the cluing was extremely fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CV,
    4 new reactions added as suggested

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please ignore any tick in difficulty level box. Just idly done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CV: See late reactions to your pic in the Comments section of yesterday's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CV: What about sambar and chutni to go with the idly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heady puzzle today? Saw 3 at a quick glance, but to be fair two are used for synonyms and one as a positional indicator.

    My COD is 12. The answer reminded me of the inimitable Hobbes - mandibles of death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My COD 28A. What a lot of Accountants love:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bhavan
    Took a little while to understand what you meant by the remark "Heady puzzle today?"
    Gridman usually takes care to avoid repetitions like this: after the clue sheet is ready he puts it in a sw/prog/app to detect dupes and makes some suitable changes.
    But while attending to one thing and another, something may be overlooked.
    I am really glad to be among such a nice lot of attentive and perceptive solvers... a fact that is to be appreciated rather than dismissed as a minuscule, exclusive, obsessive coterie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed today's offering - my COD 17D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave
    While revising the cw on the day prior to publication, I was apprehensive that there might be some objections to 17d!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know if a man goes to a general surgeon to find out if he has prostate gland enlargement, he may well undergo 17d.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In which case it would be quite a probing defininition BTW I do like it when the crossword has a feel of the country about it. My indian terminology is getting much better what with jawans, sadhus and soma.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suresh, not when it comes to own bills raised on clients !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gridman,

    Thanks for 28A.
    I could send this to a few of my clients who are outstandingly evasive on payment for a long time.
    Whether they send payment or not, I have derived
    a sheepish satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice CW again today. Not sure what Bhavan meant by "heady". :)
    Missed ENTHEOGEN, EMCEE and COATI.
    Actually, as I had the last "I" for 25D, I was sure it had to be OKAPI... which is also a mammal. Didn't occur to me that there could be TWO mammals that are 5 letter words ending in I!!! haha

    Also, liked the additional categories ... This will allow for a much better evaluation of the day's offering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. And oh yeah...
    My COD - 3D INTRUSIVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hari

    Not that Bhavan called the cwd 'heady' because there's soma in it!

    He meant to say that the word 'head' is repeated thrice in the clue section.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Further to my 11:58 posting, I did receive a response from one client. Crossword Works!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dr. DS. Paid is also excellent

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in the Hari (read-okapi)category.So,I had to change my COD from 'outstanding' to coati.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suresh,

    I got a response and not payment yet.When I do receive, I will report X-word pays and that will be exceellent as the clue says.

    Like you. I did enjoy this clue today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 5 - Shakespearean character: worker followed by most of the head (7) - {ANT}{ONIOn}

    Could you please help with how Onion came into the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came to understand that the following is a good crossword:

    http://media.ft.com/cms/1d38fdae-18e0-11e0-b7ee-00144feab49a.pdf

    Well, I took a print and did it. Liked it.

    Not difficult. No obscure words. Clues written elegantly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi curdricechronicles: Onion is British slang for the head.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A few Medical terms MANDIBLE,OCULI,INTIMAL.The fingering that Chaturvasi mentions is called PR [ per rectal examination]

    ReplyDelete
  27. ENTHEOGEN was the last one left; my dictionary didn't have the word, but I put my money on the correct anagram!

    From yesterday:

    Chaturvasi, looking at the larger resolution photo, it appears that the "double-Ls" have all been carved out of the rock. The separation that appears in the top left suggests a crack. And where there has been a crack, it has been covered with that white stuff you see all over the place.

    Here are three cropped sections for you to compare:

    Top Left - Centre - Bottom Left


    Oh, and here's hoping to see this grid on the THC someday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Unpaid? Excellent!
    I was reminded of the following which I used to see in some of the shops:
    You ask credit.
    I no give.
    You get mad.
    I give credit.
    You no pay.
    I get mad.
    Better you get mad.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Before all of us go mad :-)

    Reminding of a post on 3 Jan 2011
    >>
    Aproximately 19200 counts later in the counter for visitor numbers ....

    I see 'something' unknown.
    >>

    Now less than 200 numbers away (present 342587)

    A series of ten numbers, with the last digit substituted for the 24th alphabet.

    Nokomis, Florida may reveal some connection

    Sure to hit the mark by tomorrow. As informed earlier, I expect only one person to discover the secret behind the above, due to some personal esoteric knowledge ! And I am sure that person will be here tomorrow ...

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com