Wednesday 17 August 2011

No 10235, Wednesday 17 Aug 11, Sankalak

ACROSS
1   - The Invisible Man's must in the sponge bag? (9,5) - VANISHING CREAM [CD]
8   - Material inside the jacket, for instance (6) - LINING [CD]
9   - The column to support black unity (8) - BACKBONE {BACK}{B}{ONE}


11 - If I add ice, somehow it would be made sour (9) - ACIDIFIED*
12 - A feeble man among giants is symbolic (5) - SISSY [T]
13 - The art of war perhaps, producing a turn in shakes (7) - TACTICS {T{ACT}ICS}
15 - Would a stupid chap fancy resembling a gibbon, say? (7) - APELIKE {APE}{LIKE}
17 - In Blandings, she was a pig (7) - EMPRESS [E]
19 - Warship that overcame Curie's resistance (7) - CRUISER C(R)UISER*
21 - Wrongful acts by children beginning to rebel within (5) - TORTS {TO{R}TS}
23 - A biscuit to liven up an eccentric (6,3) - GINGER NUT {GINGER} {NUT}
25 - Moderated by usage sad change (8) - ASSUAGED*
26 - Material in a motor, good in France (6) - CARBON {CAR}{BON}
27 - Of the nature of matter as scientists say (14) - INDESTRUCTABLE [CD] (Addendum - INDESTRUCTIBLE [CD] - Thanks to Vijayalakshmi who pointed out the error to me via e-mail)
DOWN
1   - Brave Sugriva's brother, a social creature (7) - VALIANT {VALI}{ANT}
2   - Divine bull (5) - NANDI [E]
3   - Easily upset by events, one is miserable (9) - SENSITIVE SENSIT(I)VE*
4   - He is one to his son's son (7) - GRANDPA [E]
5   - The implements of dissolute men (5) - RAKES [DD]
6   - They contribute to listening pleasure (9) - ACOUSTICS [CD]
7   - Use the keyboard again perhaps (6) - RETYPE [CD]
10 - Police officer's apartment (4) - DIGS DIG'S
14 - Cover on a horse, or a cover on a teacher returning and working (9) - CAPARISON {CAP}{A}{RIS<-}{ON}
16 - Untax beer? That should make you high-spirited! (9) - EXUBERANT*
17 - Role reversed under directions to inveigle one (6) - ENTRAP {EN}{TRAP<-}
18 - FBI agents in a group, part of a circle, say (7) - SEGMENT {SE{GMEN}T}
19 - A stick carried by a buccaneer (4) - CANE [T]
20 - Entire university agitated by servants and aides of VIP (7) - RETINUE RETIN(U)E*
22 - Fish that can move on ice perhaps (5) - SKATE [DD]
24 - Wealthy chap beginning to notice a shilling (5) - NABOB {N}{A}{BOB}



12 comments:

  1. Yesterdays 14d is usually followed by today’s 7d. Today’s Plum clue is undoubtedly 17a.

    Nice to see familia(r) faces in the Nandi photo.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kishore: Today’s Plum clue is undoubtedly 17a.

    PLUM or PLUMP :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both. Also LUMP*.

    And a special thanks to Sankalak for a nice cw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opened the comments column excitedly,looking for Kishore's comments on his favourite Empress!! The PLUMP comment did not disappoint me.

    Nice to see Col. in 2D & 4D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice crossword. The references to Wodehouse and bobs lured me into the English "grandad" and it took a while before I realised I needed to cross the pond for "grandpa".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sankalak, as usual; although I would like to point out a couple of things:

    27A - nature of "matter and energy" is what a scientist would say today. Matter is destructible, no doubt.

    6D - Would have preferred "listening experience" rather than just pleasure. It can be good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double D, nice that your FF did not double a particular alphabet in your 1023 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kishore

    I figured out what you lectured (though briefly if cryptically as always) to Dave.

    In fact, when I write 'granddaughter' (on more occasions, as I have two of them) or granddad (alas, none is with me now) I always ensure that I have used two d's.

    So Dave's note was a revelation to me.

    BTW, I have seen my father use 'granddad collar' (check dict).

    ReplyDelete
  9. CV: Ah, though I agree with you on your double d issue, I thought more on the lines of Gridman's mind, with a doubled vowel, not consonant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that you say it, my dirty mind did think that our good friend did not replicate a particular letter in a particular word.

    Age does not seem to have sobered you and me. (At the time of writing my post above, I had a clean mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kishore

    Alphabet is a system of letters.

    You can't use it for a single letter.

    Nor can one say "I know all the alphabets of Greek".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Conceded ! I should have said letter, Greek, English or French !

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com