Wednesday 12 October 2011

No 10281, Wednesday 12 Oct 11, Gridman


ACROSS
1   - Tinkered with holy man's saw (8) - MONKEYED {MONK}{EYED}
5   - Therefore fort's demolished in a way (4,2) - SORT OF {SO}{RT OF*}
10 - Bound boy with certain tilter leaving General Hospital (7) - KNITTED {KNIghT}{TED} Tilter or Titler?
11 - PM in public transport with spy in mufti following (7) - AUTOPSY {AUTO}{PSY*}
12 - Burmese leader said to have led away a fool (6) - NOODLE (~nu){NOO}{DLE*}
13 - Two actions with a hat from which foremost daughters keep away occasionally (2,3,3) - ON AND OFF {dON} {AND} {dOFF}
15 - Head of clan out of places with bars for a long time (4) - AGES cAGES
16 - Turn that will produce ‘cat'? (7,3) - VARIETY ACT VARIETY {ACT*}
18 - Look back to study paper in days bygone (5,5) - OLDEN TIMES {OL<-}{DEN} {TIMES}
20 - Golf club loses western boundary (4) - EDGE wEDGE
23 - If necessary, it is improved by contacts (8) - EYESIGHT [CD] My COD
24 - Last letter in North Arcot accepts one flower (6) - ZINNIA {Z}{IN}{N{I}A}
26 - Cleavage of female one's standing by in Mumbai suburb (7) - FISSION {F}{I'S}{SION} Hmmm... GM's being naughty
27 - Took a stand against work and sat (7) - OPPOSED {OP}{POSED}
28 - When the mess is removed? (6) - TIDIED [CD]
29 - Master of Ceremonies put up trick for Central leader's staff (8) - EMPLOYEE {EM(-c+ploy)PLOYEE}
DOWN
1   - What a reporter is doing as an event happens — what a currency forger is up to (6,1,4,2,2) - MAKING A NOTE OF IT [DD]
2   - Offensive old master involved in racket (7) - NOISOME {NOIS{OM}E}
3   - Acclaims, once berth is put up (6) - EXTOLS {EX}{TOLS<-}
4   - Doesn't go to Borders? (4) - ENDS [DD]
6   - It's not a round, well-played musical phrase that's repeated (8) - OSTINATO {IT'S+NOT+A+O}*
7   - Start to use: one company's promoted a pudding variety (7) - TAPIOCA {TAP}{I}{OC<-}{A}
8   - Get angry as insect's no longer on the paw (3,3,3,6) - FLY OFF THE HANDLE {FLY} {OFF THE} {HANDLE}
9   - Doesn't know noise had a deleterious effect (3,2,4) - HAS NO IDEA*
14 - How a magician may appear — in a humble manner (3-2-4) - HAT-IN-HAND [DD]
17 - Our sailors OK about appeal being boundless (8) - INFINITE {IN}{FIN{IT}E}
19 - Set straight and got into a habit? (7) - DRESSED [DD]
21 - Mughal, for instance: “Deputy's getting offensive” (7) - DYNASTY {DY}{NASTY}
22 - Get rid of slip Ed perpetrated (6) - DISPEL*
25 - Create shape (4) - FORM [DD]



32 comments:

  1. My morning yesterday was spent at the HAL Museum yesterday with my younger son, who is a bigger aviation buff than I am. Though I had a field day, pointing out various familiar birds and people, my son pointed out quite a few and the last person he pointed out was Sqn Ldr Baldev Singh with the IJT. We left the museum around noon and found that traffic on the entire stretch from HAL to Silk Board was gummed up because of the presence of Victor Charlie. My son rushed to me today morning with The Hindu saying that Sqn Ldr Singh was found at noon, hanging from a tree. It was shocking to know that he must have died at the exact hour when we were talking about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 - Bound boy with certain tilter leaving General Hospital (7) - KNITTED {KNIghT}{ED} Tilter or Titler?

    Mebbe, Gridman meant knights, who tilt at windmills !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 23 - If necessary, it is improved by contacts (8) - EYESIGHT [CD] My COD

    Really loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kishore speaks from Bangalore. As the Chennai edition of The Hindu does not carry the news to which he is alluding, I had to go googling:

    http://nvonews.com/2011/10/11/hal-director-baldev-singh-commits-suicide/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gridman on an extended run? I thought it was Manna's turn today, but pleasantly surprised.

    Some really good clues - eyesight, fission, opposed.

    14D I thought was CAP-IN-HAND which is the British version of the American HAT-IN-HAND. May be Gridman can confirm which was the intended phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, CV. I had the misfortune of seeing him have 'an incident' with an IJT at the Aero Show. The IAF commentator on the PA system went "S**t, .." when the incident happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10a "Tilter' was intended and Kishore has explained it.

    I was worried it might print as 'titler' and was wondering if there was any such word that could mean 'one holding a title'. After Deepak's query above, I looked it up in BRB and, sure enough, it is there. So even if there had been a typo, the clue might have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 14D I thought was CAP-IN-HAND which is the British version of the American HAT-IN-HAND. May be Gridman can confirm which was the intended phrase.

    Mebbe, a hat goes better with a magician than a cap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CV: 857: Why, we even have a Tytler.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re the clue, How a magician may appear — in a humble manner

    I didn't realise 'cap-in-hand' is a possibility. The usual expression is 'hat-in-hand', I think.

    In any case, the rabbit comes out of a magician's hat, not cap!

    Dave: If ever you were in a humble situation, what was in your hand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was worried it might print as 'titler'

    Remembered an anecdote about a celebrity (was it Groucho?) who received a request for a 'singed' photo and gleefully applied a lighter around a snap and sent it only to receive a reply: I had asked for a singed photo and you have sent me a signed one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gridman's quota remains at six per turn. The Ayudha Puja special was quickly put together in a day and sent for the occasion. It used one of the regular grids (grid 1), which is criticised by some, though I do not think it goes against any accepted rules in grid composition. That it does not have words longer than 10 letters is a different matter - one of a personal preference of the solver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kishore

    I haven't heard that before. Your anecdote is something like that with detective/defective wordplay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In any case, the rabbit comes out of a magician's hat, not cap!

    Rabbits come out of hats, hair out of caps.

    She removed her cap, letting her hare fall out over her shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Located it online. Peter Sellers, not Groucho: The original is definitely better worded than my memory put it:

    http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=1054

    ReplyDelete
  16. DG, your chai paani ref yesterday reminded me of Vasanth Seth tapes:

    http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?230082

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would definitely have my cap in my hand. Methinks caps are much humbler than hats! Anyway cap in hand is the uk usage.
    Will be away for a few days. Off to Delhi to help my daughter shift to her new place (and to be a tourist for once - which I'm looking forward to)
    OMG, I am definitely acclimatising - on proof reading this, I noticed I had used "shift" rather than "move". I would never have used shift in that sense before coming to india - it would always be move or relocate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rather shifty, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fine, as long as one is not shiftless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. United we stand, divided we fall.

    ReplyDelete
  21. DD-- Strange that you had not come across Derring Do written down? Didn't you? I Dare Do say!! Wasn't there also a fire arm by the name Derringer? CV?
    Today Gridman became a man after my heart. Very 2down of him. I enjoyed cracking 8down He took liberties in 2 down Indian style with 16
    across. Are there any solvers beyond the borders of India, who may not have been top get this? I mean non-Indians and not NRIs. If so, is he fair to them? I do hope that this CHALTA HAI, will also find its way into the OED, like so many other Indian words. May Gridman's tribe increase.
    Kishore: How come you didn't notice the CHAI in CHALTA HAI? All papers HALT without the ubiquitous chai?

    ReplyDelete
  22. DG, your link to U Nu, reminded me of a JN (who had been advised not to lose his temper)crack:

    But if I do, U Nu, you must kick me under the table.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Raju,

    Sorry, I missed out reading your name in this post posted by DG yesterday and to which I responded at 947. Kitu kidogo, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Raju
    I never really read the boys adventure books with tales of Derring do - I pretty much moved straight from Enid Blyton to Trollope. So I guess a large part of my cultural heritage is missing.
    I did get chalta hai yesterday - but I am a bit of a closet Bollywood fan so have absorbed quite a lot of Hindi by osmosis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 19 - Set straight and got into a habit? (7) - DRESSED [DD]

    Sajj, Dahiney Sajj, DG.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Any idea as to what the below sentence could possibly mean? I'm not able to make any sense out of it.

    24 - Last letter in North Arcot accepts one flower

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sumit@12.55-
    Last letter- Z
    in- in
    North Arcot- NA (this used to be a district in TN earlier)
    one- I
    Flower-Def.- Zinn(i)a

    Col. am I right? Both the explanation & the gender?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kishore @ 12:50,

    'Madhya se' as well

    ReplyDelete
  29. As well as 'Bayen se', so it's not 'left' out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think Sumit is asking what is the surface meaning, not the cryptic parsing.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com