Tuesday 12 March 2013

No. 10718, Tuesday, 12 Mar 13, xChequer

A crossword in which many clues have smooth surfaces and the components are handled deftly.
I think a theme may be going on. See colorised solutions below.

Across

1  and 11a XX movies? (6,5) DOUBLE CROSS – why ‘movies’ rather than just movie, or film, in the singular? I need help to understand the definitional part. 
4   Properties vary after use (8) FEATURES – anag. of AFTERUSE – Pithy.
10 Bird gets fish and insect (9) COCKROACH – A neat charade.



Sorry if the above pic caused distress to any woman reader and she fell out of the chair.

11 See 1a.
12 Disjointed King Husain eats lizards (7) IGUANAS – Got from the def and crossings. Anno deferred.



One upon the other

13 Something that bells a monster (7) CHIMERA - CHIMER A – Concise and clear.
14 Bigfoot maybe, man's own? (4) YETI –  "Bigfoot maybe" is the def. read: YET I? I will leave the exact anno for discussion by members.



How big is big?

15 Union provided food and drug allowance (10) FEDERATION – FED E RATION – Smooth surface reading.
19 Telescopic aids to furtively observe girls without a trace of guilt (10) SPYGLASSES - SPY (G) LASSES – Superb surface reading. I may observe lasses without a shadow of guilt but I am not sure if I need to be furtive at all. After all, what with many of the girls now wearing what I believe are called leggings, first, the garment makes the leg shapely and then what in fashion circles is called the thigh gap is quite apparent and finally the fabric appears to be thin (not felt). Incidentally, a Tamil magazine this week refers to this garment as 'leg-in' (in Tamil without the hyphen). The writer perhaps thought that because each leg goes into it, it's called leg-in.
20 Clubs to attack deceitfully? (4) – BATS – rev. of ‘stab’ (‘attack’) – Is this a rev. of STAB (‘deceitfully’ being a rev ind or is this a concealed anagram, the anagram fodder being STAB and the AInd being ‘deceitfully’? I can’t say!



Coming to hit?

23 Satirical poem in which one animal revolves around another (7) EPIGRAM – Good surface reading. But don’t jump to conclusion as to the anno. We take a sec to determine what is going on here. It’s rev. of MARE around PIG. The def for the word reqd is apt.
26 Good, grand jury to go over cause of action (7) TRIGGER – TRI(G G) ER – TRIER comes from ‘jury’.
27 Initially insincere tears shed for child (5) BAIRN - While appreciating that the word breakup is not I in BARN,  I leave the anno for any member.
28 Potentially dangerous situation is cause for being late at corner (9) DEATHTRAP -  DEATH (being late) TRAP (corner)
29 Backing secured atmosphere in concert (8)  TOGETHER - xChequer, it seems, doesn't want to get her. Be that as it may, the anno for this clue is left to my reader.
30 Confused and burdened, lay head down (6) ADDLED - I think a letter shift is involved here but I will let my reader to be a little confused and leave him or her burdened with the task of providing the anno.
                                                                                                             
Down   
1 Robbery from rear end concealed in time (7) DACOITY  - DA(COIT)Y - I had to do some checking before I fully comprehended the surface. 'Coit', I learnt, is Aus slang for the buttocks defined here euphemistically as 'rear end' . Why this sudden gravitation among setters towards ‘down under’? Smooth surface.
2 Interior part of region reckoning to divide state line (9) UPCOUNTRY - UP(COUNT)RY – RY comes from line here and the State is UP as often in Gridman’s clues.
3 Sound producer sloppy about track number (6) LARYNX -  LA(RY N)X - Good surface, good def, components indicated with suitable def. RY comes from track, the setter choosing his indication carefully to suit the context.
5 Regressive view reportedly overcoming husband's moral principle (5) ETHIC -  H in rev. ('regressive') of hom. ('reported'] of 'view' – In 'overcoming' we have an apt c/c ind. 
6 Foxy animal retreating with curled tail caught in the middle (8) TACTICAL -  TAC< TI(C)AL* - We don't know where the tail got entangled; the tail having been 'caught [in the middle]', how was it able to be 'retreating', I wonder.
7 About to dam dear waterway (5) RHONE - R(HON)E - 'hon' is short for 'honey' meaning 'dear' as one might address his GF. It would appear that generally it’s a man who calls his GF or wife ‘Honey!’ Even in our Tamil films it’s a man who addresses a woman as ‘kannae, maniae, muththae, manikkamae, maragadhamae, etc. (When the woman asks him to buy any of the stones for her, he may back out.) What does a woman call her BF? I suspect that  even this abbr. in our country generally stands for ‘brought forward’ (as our CA friends here always have that on top of columns in their account statements) rather than ‘boy friend’’.
8 Support country in disgrace (7) SUSTAIN -  S(US)TAIN - A c/c written concisely and clearly.
9 Terms broken and violated, possesses pets perhaps (8) HAMSTERS – HA(MSTER*)S  - Another clue whose anno did not occur to me immediately and which I had to pass over for reconsideration in a leisurely manner. ‘Terms’ is anag fodder, ‘broken’ is anag ind, ‘possesses’ fetches HAS, ‘violates’ I take to be inserticator. I shall stop any further expatiation.



These hamsters are the pets of my cousin's young daughters who live in Coimbatore. 
Photo by special arrangement.
16 Ultimate proceeding suitable for all, all but one? (8) EVENTUAL -  EVENT U AL[l]  -  The componets gel into neat surface - The corrective, hesitant, tentative addition  'all but one' stands well in the clue sentence.
17 Batting forecast a half-century, delivers maiden (9) INAUGURAL - IN AUGUR A L - The components are well-indicated but they don't gel into a neat surface.
18 Instrument for wine bottling at home (8) CLARINET - CLAR(IN)ET - Familar word breakup, but smooth surface reading with a good c/c ind.
19 Drink prepared with infusion of peppermint for example (7) SHERBET -  S(HERB)ET - Smooth surface reading with a good c/c ind. The defs. here and in the above clue are quite broad as they must be - and can be - sometimes.
21 Mature daughter appearing after way is barred (7) STRIPED - ST RIPE D - Smooth surface reading even as different components are indicated clearly. 
22 We gathered his troubled, disturbed end was called for (6) WISHED - W(ISH*)E -[disturbe]D  -  Smooth, plausible surface reading, though we might actually wish that the end of our near and dear, when it comes, is peaceful.
24 Ward off seductive glaze (5) ICING -  [ent]ICING - 'ward' here is the medical department known as ENT - the def. 'glaze' is not too apparent as 'cake topping' or some such phrase might be.


Warding off 
Cartoon by Rishi
25 Fly upwards for instance, a bit slow perhaps? (5) MIDGE - reversal of  EG DIM - 'Fly' is v. in surface reading and n. as def. The subsidiary ind. 'a bit slow, perhaps' goes well with the surface reading but is also quite apt as def for component reqd. 



Where the flier landed (magnified)

Note: I have been able to write this long, detailed blog with a cartoon of my own and an asked-for photo because I got access to the clue sheet some hours in advance.       

SOLVED GRID

The grid is in Italian style

50 comments:

  1. 1 & 11A I think is an intended DD as it is the name of a movie as well. However the plural is superfluous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe plural is ok as Double and Cross are movies.

      Delete
  2. 12A Alternate alphabets from 'King Husain eats'

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29 Backing secured atmosphere in concert (8) TOGETHER
    {TOG<-}{ETHER}
    30 Confused and burdened, lay head down (6) ADDLE
    (-s)ADDLED

    ReplyDelete
  4. 29 Backing secured atmosphere in concert (8) TOGETHER - xChequer, it seems, doesn't want to get her. Be that as it may, the anno for this clue is left to my reader.

    (TOG<)ETHER
    Secured=got, backing secured = tog
    atmosphere = ether
    in concert=def

    30 Confused and burdened, lay head down (6) ADDLED - I think a letter shift is involved here but I will let my reader to be a little confused and leave him or her burdened with the task of providing the anno.

    burdened=SADDLED, lay head down= decap, making it ADDLED=def=confused

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a bit of detail in the cartoon. Including the books and the welcome mat to the boudoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CV, was the D-B- inspired by the recent DOBS ?

      Delete
    2. Musings of a naughty young man .....

      Delete
    3. ... that too at 11 AM as per the clock shown, I presume it is 11AM unless he has been stuck with the anno for D_B_ for the whole day.....

      Delete
    4. No 10714, Thursday 07 Mar 13, Skulldugger

      9a Rats! Deliverance days truncated! (4) DOBS - Date Of Birth'S
      the clue for the unraveling of which CV lead us on a long dance

      Delete
    5. He had it well before that since the first tranche of the solution was posted at 10.29

      Delete
    6. Deepak 8.45 'naughty'? Why, in this post I was pure as driven snow! Maybe you were referring to my 8.40 post below ;-), where I can plead guilty as charged

      Delete
    7. Not you, I was referring to the cartoonist!!

      Delete
    8. In that case, I firmly second your opinion.

      Delete
    9. I took it to refer only to the 70 year 'young' cartoonist. He seems to be well up in drawing cartoons- let us hope he does not jump professions! I took it to be 11 pm based on the call from 'boudoir' as Kishore put it.

      Delete
    10. It actually reminded me of Aunt Dahlia's 'Milady's boudoir' for which, as you surely know, old Bertie wrote an article on 'What the well dressed man is wearing'

      Delete
  6. 1 Robbery from rear end concealed in time (7) DACOITY - DA(COIT)Y - I had to do some checking before I fully comprehended the surface. 'Coit', I learnt, is Aus slang for the buttocks defined here euphemistically as 'rear end' . Why this sudden gravitation among setters towards ‘down under’? Smooth surface.

    I wonder what coitus means...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why this sudden gravitation among setters towards ‘down under’?

      Yeh, under ki baat hai

      Delete
  7. 27 Initially insincere tears shed for child (5) BAIRN - While appreciating that the word breakup is not I in BARN, I leave the anno for any member.

    I had taken it the way you say it is not:
    Initially insincere=I
    tears shed= is inserted in shed=barn
    BA(I)RN.

    Waiting for the other anno.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Initially insincere tears shed for child (5) BAIRN - While appreciating that the word breakup is not I in BARN, I leave the anno for any member.

    I feel it is 'I' in BARN with 'tears' being the insertion indicator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could it be 'tears shed' leading to rain? Insincere is Anind for rain. B?

      Delete
  9. Note: I have been able to write this long, detailed blog with a cartoon of my own and an asked-for photo because I got access to the clue sheet some hours in advance.

    Reminds me of the lady when asked her age (possibly to fill a form) answered 30 years and some months. When details were insisted upon she came out with 120 months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 18A The instrument shown is Saxophone and not clarinet.the artist shown is Kadhiri Goplanath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, but the artist's correct name is Kadri Gopalnath. Kadri is a place in Mangalore famous for its temple, hillock and park.

      Delete
  11. Sorry for the blunder, Dr Jaggu.

    I spent a lot of time in writing this blog but this goof-up escaped my attention. The embellishment was added at a much later stage when my guard must have lowered.

    May I ask the blog owner to please remove the offending pic and update the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading the main story in today's paper which mused "How did he bucket... " reminded me of Jimmy Durante's scene in 'It`s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World'

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57UR-oIE_g

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is more than one movie with the name DOUBLE CROSS. Maybe that explains the plural

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good (or not so good) cartoon, CV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With most of us addressing CV as "CV sir" in this blog, his classes on Tuesdays and Fridays are eagerly looked forward to by students of crossword like me. On Bhavan's return from vacation, Col will have to find some other days for him, I think.

    To sir with love,
    DS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kishore@ 10.08 on aunts-
    As a coincidence, I read a quote from PGW in today's Bridge column. " There came from without (probably the first to use 'without' in this sense) the hoof-beats of a galloping relative and aunt Dahlia whizzed in."

    ReplyDelete
  17. XX movies.
    I feel setter was trying to throw us off track with the plural as movie is a straight pointer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Setters licence utilised in King 'Husain' being spelt with one S.?
    Can't argue as it is a Proper noun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No setters licence used here as 'King Husain' is just a proper noun as noted by you. If you actually want the real one then his name was "Hussein"

      Delete
  19. What's with all the creepy-crawlies and vermin today? I have a deep phobia derived from childhood experiences related to such hairy-scary things !!

    The pictures were so authentic that I could really feel them creeping and crawling all over me !! EEEks !!!

    Instead of the usual Deccan Chronicle, the newsboy dropped the Hindu.Lot of free time, having nothing to read !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean The Hindu has nothing to read?

      Delete
    2. Or DC has much more to read?

      Delete
    3. On seeing CV's caption under the "creepy crawlers' as you call them, I thought why only women? Could be quite a few gentlemen equally scared about them. You have vindicated my thinking!

      Delete
    4. DG:

      I'm for whatever reason, a Times fan and also the New Indian and Sunday Express. I stumbled upon the Deccan Chronicle when I came to CBE and got hookerd on to it-- because it was more newsy and may I say, nosey and viewsy. The Hindu never appealed to me-- CV to clarify why, because of the layout? print? bias? I can't pinpoint. The only feature that appeals to me is the crossword and the Guardian one. It , I feel, does not merit such a high price when all others are reasonable. The DC on the other hand, was only re-1 when I started and has now on the sly gone up with lesser features now. But I still fell the Hindu is not value for money. If anything, it can earn its merit only from the two crosswords and the wide circle of friends I have acquired thanks to our blog. Now the Hindu crossies are an 'upper' and I cannot do without, thanks to its multi-faceted compilers. The day it stops this section, I'll boycott the paper totally.

      Delete
    5. The Hindu would be a lot nicer if it was more colorful and bold. What it needs is a bit more spice.

      Delete
  20. Really nice smooth one today. Enjoyed it immensely.
    Superb cartoon to go with it as well !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good X-word from EX-checker- highly x-rated with inspiration from Binny's triple X-rum?

    I'm very x-ed with some of the annotations redolent to the aXed -NJ's.Took the whole of my free time in the morning and the LOH was almost ready to X swords with me !!!

    By the way, who did the annotations in detail today?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for comments, shall also try to elaborate a bit from my side:

    1A: Yes, as intended XX was to indicate rating. Agree the clue will work perfectly with just 'movie', but there are so many movies with the title 'Double Cross' (as Suresh has noted), so I decided to go with the plural, believing it to be more appropriate

    14A: Was a bit of a CD as well. 'Man's own' = Abominable Snowman

    20A: Definitely not an anagram (I avoid indirect anagrams). Was a play on 'to attack deceitfully' = 'BackSTAB'

    27A: Both Col and Kishore got it early on. I think CV got it too, just trying to lead us on a merry dance?

    7D: 'HON' by itself is also a term of endearment, which you can find in most dictionaries, agree it is derived from 'honey'

    9D; Possesses = HAS. Fetches doesn't play a role here

    17D: CV, didn't quite follow why you felt the surface doesn't gel. I thought it went quite well with cricketing parlance, hence also the use of 'delivers' as the link word. btw, thanks for detailed commentary and cartoons/links

    I am out this evening, so if any further 'issues' may be fairly late in responding. Good day all

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry, I missed out on the King Husain bit. Yes, proper noun, so technically no issues, but to put even the most diehard sceptic's mind at rest, OED has it! (will mention 'also Husain'). Check if you won't take my word for it. But let's leave it as just a proper noun, no reference to real people intended

    ReplyDelete
  24. Talking of spelling of Husain, well, it is a proper noun. Muslim brothers use a variety of spelling for this . Hussain, Husein, etc. Remember Muammar Gaddafi? He had as many spellings to his name as his idiosyncrasies !!

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com