RULES FOR POSTING COMMENTS FOR FRIDAY ONLY
All those who are not regular commenters but who are rookie commenters or silent followers of the blog are requested to post answers with annotations in the comments section. In your own interest please avoid looking up the answers from the interactive version. Don't hesitate to post your annotations, in case you make a mistake in the annotation someone will correct it with the right annotation.
PLEASE NOTE, SOLUTIONS WITHOUT ATTEMPTING THE ANNOTATIONS WILL BE DELETED
Each commenter is requested to post only 5 answers thereby giving others also a chance to participate. Please provide all your answers in one comment.
Regular solvers/Veterans can post 1 answer each, but after 11 AM only.
Thanks for the response, here's the regular blog.
ACROSS
1 Fancy cloth as a focus to show a bit of sophistication (1,5,2,5) A TOUCH OF CLASS*
10 Big land owner is fat, clutching his heart (5) LAIRD {LA{hIs}RD}
11 Dead simple to pack an Indian carpet (9) INANIMATE {INAN{I}{MAT}E}
12 Agree, no one returned the instrument (9) ACCORDION {ACCORD} and {NO}{1}<=
13 The dictator's internal rule (5) EDICT [T]
14 Always there is a tiny mistake by the setter (7) ANYTIME {A}{TINY*}{ME}
16 I've a new design to entwine (7) INWEAVE*
18 Two drinks socially acceptable at the mansion (7) CHATEAU {CHA}{TEA}{U}
24 After change of hands, augmentation becomes bleak (9) INCLEMENT INC(-r+l)LEMENT
28 Coal shortage — I go all over the place for an excavator (13) ARCHAEOLOGIST*
DOWN
2 It's almost two — impatient and worried (7) TWITCHY {TWo}{ITCHY}
3 Sabotage — result of a French and the German bomb (9) UNDERMINE {UN}{DER}{MINE}
6 Interest seen among legends for a river (5) LOIRE {LO{I}RE}
7 Am I part of retrenched workers? Showing staying power (7) STAMINA {AM}{I} in {ANTS<=}
8 Permits for beer — the entire lot has to go (9,4) CLEARANCE SALE {CLEARANCES}{ALE}
9 Shoot and catch on (3,3,7) GET THE PICTURE [DD]
15 Clarify on cryptic clue, I see (9) ELUCIDATE {CLUE*}{I}{DATE}
17 Evading glide overboard (9) WEASELING {W{EASEL}ING}
19 Perhaps normal to accept one finally as a benefactor (7) ALMONER {ALMON{onE}R}
25 Stagger carrying cold fish basket (5) CREEL {REEL}<=>{C}
Reference List
Indian = I, Socially acceptable = U, Hands = R,L, A in French = UN, The in German = DER, Interest = I, Cold = C


1D, Twitchy=worried(Def.)
ReplyDeleteIt's almost two (tw)+ worried(itchy)
twitchy
10A, Laird=big land owner(Def.)
Deletelard= fat, i( his heart h I s)
la(i)rd
11A, Inanimate=dead(def.)
DeleteInane=simple(syn. silly), I(indian), mat(carpet)
pack is anind indicator
(Inane+i+mat)*
Inanimate
All ok.
DeleteYour wishes help !
Delete1A - A TOUCH OF CLASS - sophistication; {cloth as a focus}*; anagrid - Fancy
ReplyDelete13A - EDICT - Rule; thE DICTator; telescopic
28A - ARCHAEOLOGIST - Excavator; {coal shortage I}* anagrid - go all over the place
4D - HAITI - Country; AGATHA {CHRISTIE - GATE CRASH}*
16A - INWEAVE - Entwine; {I’ve a new}* anagrid - design
Delete24A, Inclement=Bleak(Def.)
ReplyDeleteincrement=augmentation
After change of hands, means R(hand) changes position and gets L.(hand)
Inc R ement becomes Inc L ement
Inclement
9A, Get the picture= shoot(catch on)
ReplyDeleteshoot=get a picture, catch on( realize or understand something)
clue type: Double definition
7D ST(AMI)NA <= staying power
ReplyDelete16d (ELUCI)*DATE = clarify
Deletecryptic (clue i)*= eluci
see = date
12 A
ReplyDeleteInstrument = ACCORDION
Agree = ACCORD
One = I
No one ( Returned <= ) = NO I <= = ION
ACCORD I ON = ACCORDION
5 D
ReplyDeleteShowing off = FLAUNTING
Cast = FLING
Relative = AUNT
Over = Container ind
FL ( AUNT ) ING = FLAUNTING
25 D
ReplyDeleteFish Basket = CREEL
Cold = C
Stagger = REEL
C REEL = CREEL
21 D
ReplyDeleteBrief = APERCUS
Copies = APES
Recoup ( odd bits ) = R e C o U p = RCU
Inside = Container ind
APE ( R C U ) S = APRRCUS
3 D
ReplyDeleteSabotage = UNDERMINE
A ( French ) = UN
The ( German ) = DER
Bomb = MINE
UN DER MINE = UNDERMINE
18A CHATEAU = mansion{ CHA + TEA , two drinks +U, socially acceptable}
ReplyDelete3d undermine = sabotage. French =un, German = der, bomb= mine.
ReplyDelete19d Almoner = benefactor. Anagram of normal and e ( end of one).
ReplyDeleteIt is not a total anagram
Delete14a anytime= always. Anagram of a+tiny+me ( setter).
ReplyDelete8d Clearance sale = the entire lot has to go. Clearances = permits, ale = beer
ReplyDelete6d Loire = river. Interest = i, seen among legends = lore.
ReplyDelete4.dn. Haiti. deleting the words 'gate' and 'crash' from Agatha Christie.
ReplyDelete6.dn. Seine .seen + I ( Interest).
7.dn.Stamina. Am + i + ants. And rearranging the letters.
13.ac.Edict. (Th)e + dict(ator).
16.Inweave. I've + a + new. And rearranging the letters.
6D is wrong
Delete7D Anno is wrong
4D- Anagram after deletion
ReplyDelete6D is expressed as (Seen)* around I
Seen+I is Seeni.
6D crossing with 1A, is not happening.
DeleteSathia
Seine is not correct
DeleteSathia
What's the role of legends, Paddy?
DeleteLore
DeleteI got confused and got it wrong. I had corrected my print solution to Loire after filing 1A. Did not check it while entering my above comment.
Delete20A: the language = guarani = money in South America (Paraguay)
ReplyDeleteTupi-Guarani is an official language of Paraguay
Guarani is also currency of Paraguay
Sathia
23Dn AMISH - {(-f)AMISH}
ReplyDelete23d famished: hungry
Delete(-f) amish(-ed) not fed
You are right; oversight.
Delete20A:Guarani=language(paraguay)
ReplyDeletealso Guyarani is currency(money) of Paraguay(South America)
ILO 20A
ReplyDelete17D:weaseling=evading
glide(wing) over board(easel)
w(easel)ing
26a LANCINATE: keen
ReplyDeleteLA: expose PLAN
(LA ANCIENT)*
building indicates anagram
26 a lancinate-keen p(LA)n ancient*
ReplyDelete27a INCUR. - Suffer
ReplyDeleteIncur(-sion) - Strike
Sion - Part of Mumbai
Spared - Del ind
compensating for 26a
ReplyDelete22 SAMBA- acrostic
8d clearance sale; permits=clearances + ale (beer)
ReplyDeleteNice Puzzle.
ReplyDeleteMy fav
CLEARANCE SALE,.GET THE PICTURE, FLAUNTING.
Thanx!