Saturday, 1 August 2026

No 14861, Saturday 01 Aug 2026, Pixie Dust

 ACROSS
7 Air bubbles from damaged mobile (6) EMBOLI*
8 Not the first meal with short, sweet punch (8) UPPERCUT {sUPPER}{CUTe}
9 Disreputable persons repeatedly using a fir! (8) RIFFRAFF {A FIR}* [Letter Bank]
10 Independent male left foreign trade (6) IMPORT {I}{M}{PORT}
11 Disgusted Tom Cruise abandoning one user (8) CUSTOMER {TOM CRUiSE}*
12 Grandpa youthfully concealing distribution of money (3,3) PAY OUT [T]
13 Feverish pirate uses soft wipes (6,5) TISSUE PAPER {PIRATE USES P}*
18 High (from the beginning) she heard repetitive, incessant, loud litany (6) SHRILL [Acrostic]
20 Is this type of wooden case destroying aesthetics? (3,5) TEA CHEST {IS+TEA CHEST}*=AESTHETICS [CA]
22 Guard briefly thwarting initial attempt to split the eardrums (6) DEAFEN {DE{Attempt}FENd}
23 Spooner's dignity, lure and interest perhaps? (4,4) BANK RATE Spoonerism of RANK BAIT
24 Naughty Alice smothering mother and Herb (8) CAMOMILE ALICE* around MOM
25 Colfax mopes every now and then for fixes! (6) CLAMPS {CoLfAx MoPeS}

DOWN
1 Wicked rascal acknowledged dues (7) IMPIOUS {IMP}{IOUS}
2 Jerk cycling around often shredded pieces of coloured paper (8) CONFETTI {(+C)TI(-c)} around {OFTEN*}
3 Please //lay down weapons (6) DISARM [DD]
4 Ape a plant? (5-3) SPLIT PEA {APE}* [RA]
5 Stupid doctor, mainly ignorant, pathetic and extremely prickly (6) DRIPPY {DR}{Ignorant}{Pathetic}{PricklY}
6 Nearly upset bowl on top containing copper in the univalent state (7) CUPROUS {ROUSe}<=>{CUP}
8 Notable Battle of Rugen, perhaps (13) UNFORGETTABLE*
14 Resentment carried out without a bit of emotion's amazing! (8) SPLENDID {SPLEeN}{DID}
15 True! The reality is exposing something exquisite! (8) ETHEREAL [T]
16 Backtracking, loathe tailing revolutionary animal (7) CHEETAH {HATE<}<=>{CHE}
17...that is describing very elevated form of element (7) ISOTOPE {I{SO}{TOP}E}
19 Some werewolf nimbly reversing tide (6) INFLOW [T<]
21 Intermittently alarming, fierce bait for Leopard's-Bane! (6) ARNICA {AlaRmiNg fIerCe bAit}
REFERENCE LIST
Independent=I, Male=M, One=1=I, Acknowledged Dues=IOUs, Doctor=Dr., Revolutionary=Che (Guevara), that is=i.e. (id est).

12 comments:

  1. It was ' Splendid' but I missed it!
    Instead of supper, I was struggling with lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and so missed the upper cut.
    Enjoyable all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few Bouncers greeting a tail ender..is the feeling for me!-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you found it tough ...

      Delete
    2. Nowadays, tail enders have learnt to tackle bouncers!!!!!

      Delete
  4. When Tom Cruise can become customer and revolutionary can become cheetah, possible only in cryptic CW😀. An adorable CW given by Pixie Dust (Mona Sogal).
    Sathia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blogging Vassnt. We have to look for tge name to know the change!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too struggled for SPLENDID - but got it.
    Otherwise easy with some v nice clues.

    My fav
    UPPERCUT, ISOTOPE, CUPROUS, DEAFEN.
    Thanx Mona!

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com