Sunday 10 May 2009

No 2532, Sunday, 10 May 09

A tough one today at places, have not been able to unravel 24A and 23D
ACROSS
1 - Newspaper publisher tries to initially (6) - {HEARS}{T}
4 - Deputy at university is behaving badly (6,2) - {ACTING} {U}{P} P from ?
9 - Millions close to boundary cross Indian city (6) - {M}{Y}{SORE} Read about the Mysore palace at the link. abeautiful sight when lit up in the evenings
10 - Got on a bidet, nervously (8) - OBTAINED*
12 - A batsman may to get away quickly (3,3,3) - CUT AND RUN [CD]
13 - Caught fish on river - put them in this (5) - CREEL [CD]
14 - The way in which Eden served? (7,6) - DOWNING STREET [CD]
18 - Inferior batsman's guard (13) - NIGHTWATCHMAN [DD]
20 - Famous group in watering hole (5) - OASIS [DD]
22 - Require, on stage, a French firearm (6-3) - {NEED}LE GUN Anno not clear
24 - Play about leaving for work (8) - (-re)CREATION ? Must be the name of some famous play in England
25 - I ordered a Brie in part of Europe (6) - {I}BERIA*
26 - Take part in a sport and risk a wet undoing? (8) - WATERSKI*
27 - Civilised ancient city, source of evil (6) - {UR}{BANE}
DOWN
1 - Murder in dwelling - bring in one branch to investigate? (8) - HOM{I}{CID}E
2 - Holding dog with no lead? (5) - (-b)ASSET
3 - Son running off, running quickly (9) - {S}{PRINTING}
5 - Joiner - one living in 14? (12) - CABINETMAKER [DD]
6 - Sarah's son uses savings scheme account (5) - I{SA}{AC} I from ?
7 - Got upset about reportedly lame male cat (6,3) - GINGER {TOM} Got this thro google Anno not clear
8 - Boat heading for Plymouth, badly loaded, docked (6) - {P}{EDALO*}(-d)
11 - Film city in Colorado, Boulder? (8,4) - {BRIGHTON} {ROCK}
15 - Cried after snakes exposed (9) - {WINDS}{WEPT}
16 - Sword found in former burial ground around start of century (9) - {EX}{C}{ALIBUR*}
17 - Overwhelm one sister on tryst (8) - {I}{NUN}{DATE}
19 - Doctor on barge in capital city (6) - {MO}{SCOW}
21 - One entering name of musical instrument (5) - S{I}TAR
23 - Turned up to search a lake (5) - G?R?A

17 comments:

  1. Turned up to search a lake (5) GARDA
    GARD (rev. of 'drag') + A(a)
    I learn that it's the largest lake in Italy
    Visit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Garda

    ReplyDelete
  2. To search = DRAG, is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Play -> recreation
    about leaving -> -re
    creation -> work

    ReplyDelete
  4. drag - search, explore with a dragnet

    ReplyDelete
  5. 22. NEEDLE GUN = NEED LEG UN

    Leg is stage as in first leg
    Un is French for one or a

    7. GINGER TOM sounds like INJURED TOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Anokha's anno was apparent to you even when posting the solution. What didn't strike you (nor me, till now) is the word 'play' is not used in the dramatic sense but in a sporting way.

    I didn't solve this crossword as I am doing an advance one from the original site; let me warn you that some seven weeks later THC(Sun) xwd will be much tougher than this.

    I managed it, though one half of just one clue is yet to be cracked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In 4d U doesn't yield U. "at university" yield UP. The word 'up' means 'at university' (Chambers). I believe this component has appeared before in the Sunday THC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re 6dn
    In UK there is a savings scheme known as individual savings account with abbr. ISA.
    So I think it is ISA, a/c.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure about Anon's anno for GINGER ALE. The thinking cap is still on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got upset about reportedly lame male cat (6,3)

    Got upset = GTO
    about = c/c indicator
    reportedly lame = INGER {~injure}, read as verb
    male = M

    cat = GINGER TOM, from G{INGER(~injure)}TO* M

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Shuchi, for saving me from further misery!

    Was busy with my solve for next week's blog on fifteensquared.

    This Sunday THC is an interregnum between my stopping solving it and taking up Everyman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read: This Sunday THC appears in an interregnum between my stopping solving it and taking up Everyman in the original site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chaturvasi
    I hope the interregnum in the Indian political scene does not get prolonged further after 16 May
    Shuchi
    Tell me frankly how long did it take to parse GINGER TOM ? or was it a sudden flash of brilliance like EUREKA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) Somehow GINGER TOM didn't trouble me. I'd come across the word in another crossword this week itself. Only paused over 'reportedly lame' but it was just a matter of linking it with INGER.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must be granted that Anon had given a partial indication.
    When I saw it, I only knew it was not quite exact. But as I had other things on hand and did not pursue the idea.
    But those distractions apart, the synapses in my brain did not occur all too quickly!
    Sometimes in the 15sqd blogs when ace solvers seek help on anno, I give it straightaway - because the connections happened.
    They too might see the parsing after some time.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com