Thursday 23 July 2009

No 9592, Thursday, 23 Jul 09, Nita Jaggi

17D eludes me totally, accordingly cannot decide on 24A
ACROSS
 8 - Can Irene scan, so as to conduct the intelligence activity? (14) - RECONNAISSANCE*
 9 - Fishes swim in water regularly into it (6) - {DIP}{N}{O}{I}
10 - Note out the last-minute kind of disorders (8) - AILMENTS(-tu)*
11 - City rulers are without a man this year in South Africa (8) - {KIN(-g)}{S{HAS}A} I don't think this anno is correct
13 - Short time for the French composer to change the location (6) - {T}{RAVEL}
14 - Ruler inside is a consultant (6) - SULTAN [T]
16 - Corrected the new diet for a journalist (6) - {EDIT*}{ED}
19 - Combatant is frequently around the centre somehow missing the transaction (6) - {F}{ENCER(-t)*}
21 - He is the one to advocate the change in society (8) - REFORMER [CD]
23 - Indian head in Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus is in difficulty at first not showing the containers (8) - C{I}ST{ERNS} Anno for ERNS eludes me (Addendum - {C{I}ST}{ER}{NS} - Thanks to Shyam)
24 - An ill-tempered person (6) TERROR or TARTAR [CD] (Addendum - TARTAR [CD] is the right answer)
26 - Prison is almost off in a quiet area said to somehow have an exotic plant (4,2,8) - BIRD {OF(-f)} {PARADISE} How is Bird and Prison connected, I've heard of Jailbird but...
DOWN
 1 - Grasslands have a price per unit about to rise (8) - PRA{I}{RIES*} Anno of PRA eludes me
 2 - Symbol put on a regular zinc coin (4) - {I}{C}{O}{N} [T]
 3 - From the gang, I named the heart condition (6) - ANGINA [T]
 4 - Bachelor with two hundred in the morning was first off on an island country (7) - {BA}{H}{AM}{(-w)AS}
 5 - Ten around us are not early in the day to be separated (8) - {I{S}O}{LATE}{D} S from us ?
 6 - Locate farm for the rowdy criminal (10) - MALEFACTOR*
 7 - Second animal the man will harm (6) - {S}{CAT}{HE}
12 - Overanxious for one caught in privacy (10) - SOL{I}{C}ITUDE
15 - Display the skill of the glider (8) - AIRCRAFT [CD]
17 - The German has accepted making a mistake by abandoning the stone worker (8) - D?E???E? (Addendum - D{IEMAK(-st)*}ER - Thanks to Shyam)
18 - Element used in glassware (7) - CRYSTAL [DD]
20 - Alternately resist holding fifty-one caught to bring out a solution (6) - {E}{LI}{C}{I}{T}
22 - Religious rulings partly Arafat wasted away (6) - FATWAS [T]
25 - Initial reaction is to help after a surprise attack (4) - {R}AID

11 comments:

  1. Colonel, could 24Ac be TYRANT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 23 ac - ERNS - difficulty : ER ; Not Showing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought 17D was diemaker, not sure of the anno though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shyam,
    Thanks for Anno of 23Ac. You are right about 17D, I have provided the annotation in the main post.

    @Anon,
    TYRANT will not fit so TARTAR it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Col,

    26 - Prison is almost off in a {quiet area said} to somehow have an exotic plant (4,2,8) - BIRD {OF(-f)} {PARADISE} How is Bird and Prison connected, I've heard of Jailbird but...
    [P ARA{DISE*)]WHERE IS E FROM AREA GONE?

    I think all of us have missed a trick here. The operative word is SOMEHOW in this clue. And this is THE WORD that you have to use in clues: KINSHASA, BAHAMAS, ISOLATED and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Raghunath
    I have not got the point that you are trying to make?
    In Paradise I presume you mean where has the A gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Col,

    Sorry! I meant where the A has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Col,

    About SOMEHOW, I meant, that this word should always be kept in mind while solving CWs by this setter, as annos are unclear and somehow the ans is to be derived.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colonel,

    15A - Display the skill of the glider (8) - AIRCRAFT (CD)

    I think this is not CD. The answer is derived from Display (AIR) + Skill (CRAFT)

    Do you agree?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com