Saturday 29 September 2018

No 12434, Saturday 29 Sep 2018, xChequer

All the best to the participants of the IXL which starts tomorrow

Across

7. Defence mechanism of trees spreading a bit like canopies (6) ABATIS {A{A+BIT*}S}
8. Though fallible at times, appeal should succeed (6) ALBEIT {fAlLiBlE}{IT}
10. Rough time, a displaced person has to go through a lot (3,5) BAD PATCH {B{A}{DP}ATCH}
11. Very wise saving one's face (6) VISAGE {V}{I}{SAGE}
12. Public off limits here? Yes, private (5) INNER {INN}{hERe}
14. Named by shape of nose and mouth, scarcely confusing the naked eye (7) ONYMOUS  {NOSE+MOUTH-THE+eYe*}
15. Dense forest ultimately saved honest outlaw kept under duress (4,2,3,6) SLOW ON THE UPTAKE {foresT} removed from  {HONEST+OUTLAW+KEPT*}
18. Teach, say if my so-called teacher withholds answer (7) CORSAIR {COR}{S{A}IR} Teach = COURSER
19. Yankee used for American in outdated manner (5) STYLE {ST(-a+Y}LE}
20. Proceeds to present trick (4-2) TAKE-IN (DD?)
21. A meeting around the beginning of each quarter may be sufficient (8) ADEQUATE {A}{D]{Each}{QU}TE} {A}{D]{Each}{QU}ATE} See comments
23. Greek facility producing lubricant (6) GREASE {GR}{EASE}
24. School philosophy to provide a break (6) SCHISM {SCH}{ISM}

Down

1. Magnificent friend with a wagging tail (8) PALATIAL {PAL}{A}{TAIL*}
2. Premier athletic club elevated in group (4) CAMP {PM}{AC}<=
3. Fighting like a cornered rat, in poor shape when out of this (6) KILTER {LIKE+RaT*}
4. Statement to court: 'Debt closed, zero liability at bank' (1,4,3) I LOVE YOU {I {LOVE} {liabilitY}OU}
5. Fresh infusion of malt, in short, fit for airing (10) NEWSWORTHY {NEW}{S{WORT}HY}
6. Short-term investors adopting electronic platforms (6) STAGES {STAG{E}S}
9. Weather hot and dry, close to unbearable heat recently (3,5,3) THE OTHER DAY {HOT+DRY+unbearablE+HEAT*}
13. New over, no runs, wasted last chance (3,2,5) NOW OR NEVER {NEW+OVER+NO+R*}
16. Graceful appearance in new shift and cape (8) NEATNESS {N}{EAT}{NESS}
17. Raising issue, take a quick look to observe tempo (4,4) KEEP TIME {EMIT}{PEEK}<=
18. Storm toll (6) CHARGE (DD)
19. Hum with soprano leading number at church (6) STENCH {S}{TEN}{CH}
22. Entity incompetent, spent force (4) UNIT {UNfIT}

Reference List
Appeal=It, Displaced Person=DP, Very=V, One=I, My=Cor, Answer=A, Yankee=Y, American=A, Quarter=Qu, Greek=Gr, School=Sch
Premier=PM, Athletic Club=AC, Debt=IOU, Zero=Love, Electronic=E, Runs=R, New=N, Soprano=S, Church=Ch, Force=F


Colour/Font Scheme

DefinitionSolutionComponent lettersEmbedded linksTheme word Anagram IndicatorC/C indicatorReversal IndicatorHidden word IndicatorLetter Pick indicatorDeletion IndicatorHomophone IndicatorMovement IndicatorPositional IndicatorSubstitution, IndicatorLink/Connector, Extraneous

28 comments:

  1. in 18A where do we get COR from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cor = my!... An exclamation of surprise, pleasure etc.

      Delete
    2. It is there in the Reference list too.

      Delete
    3. Thanks MB.
      I am still unable to find the definition.
      If "Teach say" = COURSER~, there are 2 WPs but no definition.

      Delete
    4. Def is Edward teach pirate corsair. teach,say.

      Delete
    5. Sir for teacher is an indian expression.

      Delete
    6. sree_sree's note above goes just above my head. I am still in the dark. I think I am not up-to-date.

      Delete
    7. Def:teach,say (ref to edward teach, blackbeard the pirate)
      My:cor
      So called teacher:sir
      Withholding answer:s(a)ir

      Delete
    8. Thanks. I knew I was missing something.

      Delete
  2. 20a proceeds:take, present,current/now:in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can someone please explain 18a?
    What is the def for word required?
    What is the wordplay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same doubt, sir.
      I see 2 WPs, but no definition.

      Delete
  4. I wrote the above before I saw PSK's Comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ramesh for the wishes. Tomorrow I have to attend a function. So I have to do it later only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed out on registration. Is it still open? If so, can anyone pl. send me the link. I am unable to properly register myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prasad. I will give it a try.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Prasad. I registered and got the password too by mail.

      Delete
  7. One of those days where I couldnt get to solving the puzzle till now. The long one fell in easily and so did Now Or Never, The Other Day. Loved I love You. Abatis and Onymous were new words for me. Thanks XChequer for a cracking puzzle and Ramesh for a super blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best to all participants of IXL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THE OTHER DAY I came across a NEWS WORTHY video clip.
    The Idol Wing Police raided a PALATIAL house in Chennai and took CHARGE of a huge haul. It had to be NOW OR NEVER.
    But they are lamenting that they have no ADEQUATE space to store!!
    What a BAD PATCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a problem with registration as my mobile number is from India and hence I wrote to Mr.Kushagra Singh in detail saying that I am in New haven. He has obliged by sending me my user ID and new password.

    So lets all from the HCC move on to participate and give a formidable run to others. I have not entered to compete but to make an appearance , despite the time difference.

    Good luck to all those participating ! Let the best prevail.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com