Monday 21 December 2020

No 13124, Monday 21 Dec 2020, Gridman

Solution to 10A has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular / novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
1   Imagined admirer tossed dice (7) FANCIED {FAN}{DICE*}
5   Covering over male — an unlikeable person (6) SHMUCK {SH{M}UCK}
9   Dress circle — not new — situated above (3,2) RIG UP {RInG}{UP}
10 Coming into office with an item that’s added (9) ACCESSION (Addendum -[DD] - See comments)
11 Loiters around people who work hard (7) TOILERS*
12 Dirty condition of livestock feed (7) SOILAGE [DD]
13 Fuming gran runs with extreme fury (5) ANGRY {GRAN*}{furY}
14 Monstrous guise ogre adopted (9) EGREGIOUS*
16 Child in street with traps essentially and part of helmet (9) CHINSTRAP {CH}{IN}{ST}{tRAPs}
19 A small, small photograph of a savoury jelly (5) ASPIC {A}{S}{PIC}
21 Six count in an important way (7) VITALLY {VI}{TALLY}
23 Tote rag used as a killing instrument (7) GAROTTE*
24 Russian girl with Ian settled in land of Hope (9) RURITANIA {RU}{RITA}{IAN*}
25 Bread produced in city in the Netherlands (5) BREDA*
26 Diverts a minister’s premier applications (6) AMUSES {A}{Mi...r}{USES}
27 Tamil leader left in a large town without a word or sound (7) TACITLY {Ta..l}{A}{CIT{L}Y}

DOWN
1   Disturbed advisors certify not one of things that philatelists seek (5-3,6) FIRST-DAY COVERS* {ADViSORS+CERTIFY}*
2   Persistency in finding fault (7) NAGGING [DD]
3   Ungodly display by mischievous boy, one yet reforming (7) IMPIETY {IMP}{1}{YET*}
4   Approaches swan struggling in bleak surroundings (5,4) DRAWS NEAR {DR{SWAN*}EAR}
5   Stores no model boxes (5) SOCKS StOCKS
6   Intending one to be quiet in being synchronous (7) MESHING ME(-an+sh)SHING
7   U.S. city elegant in the past (7) CHICAGO {CHIC}{AGO}
8   Government official stuns nerdy creatures (14) UNDERSECRETARY*
15 Ruling about turning up is distasteful (9) REPUGNANT {RE{UP<=}GNANT}
17 Meanwhile bury one male (7) INTERIM {INTER}{1}{M}
18 Greets a lieutenant taking turn with me at last in ship (7) SALUTES {S{A}{L{U}T}{mE}S}
19 A sort of exercise — one carried back in a carriage, to begin with (7) AEROBIC {1}{BORE}<= in {A}{Ca...e}
20 Forbearing doctor’s charge (7) PATIENT [DD]
22 Americans’ strong pulls (5) YANKS [DD]

Reference List
Male = M, New = N, Child = CH, Street = ST, Small = S, Russian = RU, Left = L, Model = T, One = AN, Quiet = SH, Lieutenant = LT, Turn = U, Ship = SS 


14 comments:

  1. Undersecretary took SOME decoding!
    Could not get meaning/Meshing.
    5D- was thinking about 'Sacks' but could not parse it. Boxes as a verb did not strike me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did put Sacks and parsed it as S(-t)acks.

      Delete
  2. An easy and straight forward puzzle.My pick are 5ac and 24ac for making me think a while; and7dn and 20 dn for the elegance in clueing.
    Enjoyed and solved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1D- I made the mistake of not counting the letters and hence did not notice that an I is extra. So I could not explain the purpose of 'not'in the clue. Initially I had read it as 'not one of things....'Anyway the solution cannot be anything else with that enu and so filled in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5A
    I got misled as SHMUCK is spelt as SCHMUCK in some dictionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gridman I salute you.I am stumped.Except for "accession" , I was safely home in 35 minutes.I got stuck with "accessory" which was not falling into place with the'i' of Chicago and 'n' of Under Secretary.How dumb I was not to see accession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your Comment. But in future add your name within the Comment. Else it is liable to be deleted by Admin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shuck, soilage, regnant new to me. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Gridman,
    Well, it was a nicely compiled Xword although I missed 5A and thereby leading to my failed attempts in 5D and also 12A.
    I also had to wait till noon (when I switched on the PC & accessed the internet) to learn how I missed 24A besides 26 & 27A....
    Thanks for this brainteaser Xword..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got all, but could not parse 'meshing'
    Good puzzle. My cod - 21ac & 7dn. 😊
    I finished in 20 mins - a record for me for gridman.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com