Monday 13 December 2021

No 13426, Monday 13 Dec 2021, Vulcan

Solution to 17D has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular / novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
1   Compiler’s second message, not the first (6) SETTER {S}{lETTER}
4   Start fire (6) LAUNCH [DD]
8   Friendly female in a story (7) AFFABLE {A}{F}{FABLE}
9   Pink gin ordered for someone important (7) KINGPIN*
11 Different stars never cross (10) TRANSVERSE*
12 Measure an opening from the right (4) ROOD<=
13 Overall, this article is about an expert (5) APRON {A{PRO}N}
14 Lovely and productive drinks party (8) ADORABLE {A{DO}RABLE}
16 Awarded in DC timeless Art Deco building (8) ACCORDED {DC+ARt+DECO}*
18 Sortie? Mostly out in trunks (5) TORSI SORTIe*
20 Jack is in Paris with kid (4) JEST {J}{EST}
21 Friend’s been troubled by a thing (10) BENEFACTOR {BEEN*}{FACTOR}
23 Strange business a couple of Republicans established initially (7) BIZARRE {BIZ}{A}{RR}{Es...d}
24 Sentence in Arabic on victory (7) CONVICT [T]
25 Accepting a leader after elections essentially (6) TAKING {A}{KING}<=>{e..cTi..s}
26 Catcher nears ground and runs (6) SNARER {NEARS*}{R}

DOWN
1   Tower’s loud to some extent (2,3) SO FAR {SO{F}AR}
2   Shoe guide (7) TRAINER [DD]
3   New eleven in squad, finally excited (9) ENLIVENED {ELEVEN+IN}*{squaD}
5   The greatest in boxing and karate extremely similar (5) ALIKE {ALI}{Ka..tE}
6   Program airing about Ebola’s origin in country (7) NIGERIA {NIG{Eb..a}RIA*}
7   Independent survey in Ohio designed for common people (3,6) HOI POLLOI {I}{POLL} in {OHIO}*
10 Dog, in tea garden, let loose (5,4) GREAT DANE*
13 One who experiments with the claims made (9) ALCHEMIST*
15 Travelling in private around Utah with broken foot (3,2,4) OUT OF TOWN {O{UT}{FOOT*}WN}
17 Beat by 1000 and excel (7) O?T?A?K (Addendum - OUTRANK {OUTRAN}{K} - See comments)
19 Improve record throughout (7) RECOVER {REC}{OVER}
21 Staff working for wealthy industrialist (5) BARON {BAR}{ON}
22 Appear with our copies included (5) OCCUR {O{CC}UR}

Reference List
Second = S, Female = F, Party = DO, Time = T, Jack = J, Is in French = EST, Republican = R, Runs = R, Loud = F, Independent = I, 1000 = K, Copies = CC


TalePiece
By Dr RKE

I do not know if any of you, fellow-solvers, have SO FAR travelled OUT OF TOWN with a newspaper in your hand. I have made it a habit of TAKING the neatly folded crossword sheets alone of the previous 5-6 days to solve on train journeys.    I have experienced all sorts of BIZARRE reactions from fellow travellers.  There was once a person who wanted to badly LAUNCH a conversation, but found my pre-occupation with the word jugglery of the SETTER a hindrance. The next thing he did was to ask me for a sheet of the paper. Didn’t I love watching in JEST the look he ACCORDED me on realizing that it was not that day’s paper?

And then there was this Catholic Father, who looked over my shoulder and saw that the grid had a ROOD of black squares right in the centre. He showed me his cross that had a similar shape and asked “do they always put our order’s cross in the middle?” It OCCURred to me then that I should look up what word would best suit his vestment- APRON was obviously wrong- was it a cassock/ alb / cassalb / habit?

A college student watched me fill in the squares in fascination and asked “Sir, how did you learn all this? Are there some TRAINERS for this kind of thing?” And then an AFFABLE old aunt who ENLIVENED the compartment with her anecdotes and observations, saw me not joining in the mirth and said “son, you would spoil your eyes reading the small print on a moving train. Put the paper down, enjoy your journey”. Then there was this know-all who explained to his little boy, “see uncle has finished filling in all the TRANSVERSE white squares, now he is going to write from top to bottom like the Chinese do”. Then a young Marxist who scoffed “crosswords are for the bourgeois, not for us the HOI POLLOI”. There have been the suspicious folk, who have thought that I buried my face in the paper as I must be a CONVICT escaping from the police. Rarely have I met a BENEFACTOR who hands over his own newspaper for me to do the crossword. An ADORABLE girl once asked “how much prize money do you get uncle?” When I told her that it was zilch, she said “then why are you wasting your time?”  And then a child who filled in all the lights in the grid with X’s when I put down the paper to go to the restroom.

In all my life and travels, only once did I meet a fellow solver. We were on a flight and she was a portly woman from, maybe NIGERIA. The clue was 10D “Gold maker halts mice (9)”. She looked at the paper with a corner of her eye, without even turning her TORSO and said as I was about to put away the half-done crossword “try ALCHEMIST for 10D”. We then fell talking about all the abstruse things that two LIKE minded cruciverbalists are wont to talk about but her parting shot showed me that she OUTRANKEDed me. “You have filled in GRAND for 24A from the anagram fodder of “tea garden” and so can’t get the second half of the solution. Try GREAT instead.” That got me GREAT DANE in a flash.  

Nowadays, I have switched to doing the crossword on the phone. All fellow travellers are also busy with their own phones and so no one takes notice these days.

36 comments:

  1. AJJI - My role model
    When i was very young, strangely, I called my Grandmother Ajji, eventhough neither of us knew Marathi.

    Ajji, my father's mother lived in a huge Tharawad in Palakkadu. I still remember at dusk, the house with its sloping roofs used to cast strange SILHOUETTES. I used to play many variations of Hop & skip around these shadows. Similarly, the early morning GUSTS would always bring showers of jasmine flowers & the ground would be almost white.

    Ajji was a great woman with many interests. CHIEF among them, was reading. Compared to the GENERIC Grandmothers of my friends, she was VERY special, not the least because she was multi LINGUAL. Apart from the 4 south Indian languages, she could speak English & Hindi.

    Infact, when my Grandpa served under the British Government, she had lived with him in Delhi & Shimla. She had served many of the Sahibs (my Grandpa's superiors) her delicious Idlis, Dosas & other Indian ITEMS & helped many a Memsahib tie a saree for some Indian festival or the other. During this time, she had also met & conversed with many Indian LEADERS including Gandhi. Now, after my Grandpa, she lived alone with a retinue of servants, who were almost like family to her. Appa was her only surviving son.

    Every year, during summer holidays, I visited Ajji for 2 months. Ajji was highly proficient at telling stories, cooking a variety of snacks & listening patiently to non stop chatter. In short, she was an ideal companion to an adolescent girl, who felt largely neglected in her own urban home.

    When I became 10, for the first time, I was allowed to travel alone by TRAIN, to visit Ajji. My CHIEF concern, at that time, was about leaving my PEEKAPOO in my Mom's care for 2 months. He was just a stray dog, till I found him. Now he had a VALID pet licence, a fancy collar & an exotic name, but he still couldn't win my Mom's affections. When I shared these concerns with Ajji, she told me a world truth. Peekapoo can take care of himself. He had been a stray. I can rest easy. Ofcourse, she was right. When I came back, I found a complete switch in his loyalties. He was Mom's pet now.

    When I turned 12, I considered myself grown up & developed all sorts of strange fancies. I insisted on calling my friends AMIGOS & AVOCADO was my favourite fruit. Infact I thought, I was being CLEVERISH, in ridiculing Ajji, that there was no AVOCADO tree in her garden, or for that matter, in the whole of Palakkadu. Ajji, in her IRELESS way, SIGHED & pointed out that EVERYTHING else was there - from mangoes, bananas to jackfruits. But I was an adolescent dreaming about camping in a TEPEE & her VALID words, regarding native species fell on deaf ears.

    But funniest was my latest PENCHANT for anything Russian. I thought Tolstoy was the best author in the world & Ajji could not PREVAIL upon me to change my mind even after narrating classics by so many English & Indian authors. Infact she was dumbstruck, when she found out, I had dressed up as a TZARINA, complete with a TIARA, for my fancy dress competition. From the Encyclopedia, I had found a photograph of Catherine the Great & made my mom IMITATE her gown for my costume. Ofcourse I got the first prize. 2 days later, she asked me, what is the RELEVANCE of dressing up like a TZARINA? Could I not find a single suitable Indian role model? It was my turn to be at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What followed that summer, is still etched in my mind. Ofcourse, I did not understand the enormity of it then.

    Ajji's main aide was Krishnan Nair. He was poor & owned no land. He had 3 daughters & his family lived in Ajji's outhouse & he managed all her affairs. His eldest daughter Aparna was attending college in Kottayam, at Ajji's insistence. She also paid her fees. At that time Raman Nambudiri was the richest man in our district & his son Venu was also studying in Kottayam. Till today, nobody is clear about the details, but Aparna & Venu fell in love. I had seen sufficient movies & imagined the two of them singing duets in Kottayam.

    When Venu's father found out about this, there was a big hue & cry & Ajji was asked to discontinue Aparna' s education. But Ajji stood her ground. She spoke to Aparna, explaining her responsibility towards her family & the importance of finishing her degree. She also said, Nambudirival is not MALEFICENT, but belongs to a different class. I was a silent audience to this talk.

    Aparna seemed convinced & agreed to let Venu alone & concentrate on her studies. However matters came to a head, when Venu attempted suicide, because Aparna had apparently rebuffed him. There was utter chaos & everybody started accusing Ajji.

    Ajji called both Nambudiri & Nair to sort out the issues. Nambudiri wanted Nair's family to move out of the area. Finally, after a lot of back & forth, Ajji asked Nambudiri, what was his objection to Venu marrying Aparna. Obviously, it was dowry. Thinking about it for sometime, Ajji said she would transfer 1/3 rd of her land in Aparna's name & then the marriage could be performed. Nair fell on her feet & started weeping. Comforting him, she asked him to do the needful for the registration.

    Communication TECHNOLOGY those days, was still primitive. It was only a week later, that Ajji could get a trunk call through to Appa, from the main Post office to inform him about her decision. By then, the land had been transferred to Aparna's name.

    What neither Ajji nor I anticipated was Appa's wrath. Till today, it is not clear to me whether he was hurt more by the financial loss or because Ajji said, Krishnan Nair was like a son to her & had rightful ownership to the land, even more so than Appa, because he tilled it, looked after it & managed it.

    Dragging me by my hand, Appa left in a huff & I never visited Palakkadu again. 2 years later Ajji was diagnosed with an ISCHAEMIC ailment & Appa & Amma visited her on her deathbed. Afterwards, Appa sold off the remaining land & house & I never could ask him, what became of Krishnan Nair & the other servants in the house.

    Now that I am, myself, middle aged, with college going children, I often think of Ajji with quiet wonder. So much of what she spoke about then, takes on deeper meanings now & I realise with surprise that if I have to choose an Indian role model, or any role model for that matter, it will have to be only Ajji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gowri for the wonderful tale piece. It is a surprising coincidence that I (setter Ajji) also am a native of Palakkadu. Like your Ajji of the tale I am also a woman of many interests, the chief among them being reading. I also can speak three South Indian languages (Tamil, Malayalam and Kannada) and English and Hindi. To compensate for the fourth South Indian language, well, I have Sanskrit.

      For a moment, I thought that the story was written on me. It makes your tale close to my heart.
      Thank you Gowri.

      Delete
    2. Excellent tale piece by Dr. RKE.
      Enjoyable grid from Vulcan.
      What else does one need for a beautiful start of the week’s work!

      Delete
    3. AJ - i always felt we had a stronger connection. Sad that I really left Palakkadu when i was 12 & never visited again.
      This is a true picture of my Ajji - but the tale is fiction.
      I am so........happy that u liked my tale. 😊

      Delete
    4. I left Palakkadu much earlier, as my father was employed in Tamilnadu. But the rest of the family was there( both mother’s and father’s) and the last thing we had was our house. We gave it away finally in 2015 only.
      But I have beautiful memories of younger days when we used to go there for all summer holidays until the death of my grand mother.

      Delete
    5. Wow! Such a long tale piece very meticulously written with no typos and perfect punctuation. Nice

      Delete
    6. If this is a true story . I salute your Ajji. Usually old people including myself nearing 85 will leave our property to sons and daughters who are 12000 Kms away, who come once a year and do very little to the people and carers who look after us physically and also our estates..
      I am sure your Ajji knew what she was doing and must have anticipated your father's wrath.

      Delete
    7. Got time to read through your story just now. Heartwarming tale. Ajji is grandma in Kannada and I guess in Marathi it is aajji

      Delete
  3. Except for the paper, I do!
    I have alphacross and an unlimited supply from friends for those intercity travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An engrossing tale-piece that all solvers of crosswords will identify with.

      Delete
  4. 17d- OUTRANK = excel ; Beat = outran; 1000=> K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gentle start to the week! Thank you Vulcan. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have seen Dr. RKE in a restaurant doing his crossword when his doctor colleagues were busy on their mobile phones

    ReplyDelete
  7. A solvable enjoyable CW,2 good Tales- one about a solver traveller and the other childhood memories woven into a nice story. What more can one ask for to start the week!
    Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Train conversations are like things of the past. With plane travel you hardly get to talk. It is always between you and the book/CW. Gone are the days of overnight and sometimes 2 days (Delhi for example) I distinctly remember taking not but 3 days from Delhi to Chennai since our train was redirected due to rain and floods and we almost touched Bombay on our way! Remember we did not have cell phones those days to inform near and dear ones about your plight! (yes not flight!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. & finally arriving in Chennai looking like we r from Ethiopia- according to my FIL - Both because of our dirt encrusted skins (no ac. No fans in the train) & excessive hunger (obv short supply of food)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....short supply of EDIBLE food!
      Surprisingly the food on the diverted route was better!

      Delete
    2. Our train was frequently abandoned in the back of beyond. So much so that - all passengers shared all the available food & still there was a massive short supply. Even drinking water was not available. 🙄

      Delete
  10. Greatly enjoyed Dr. RKE and Gowri's talepieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic tale. Can relate to it very well. Not just train journeys but perhaps at places like doctor's clinics as well Dr RKE. Good way to beat the boredom of waiting bit may miss hearing your turn bring called if you get too engrossed. The last para on phone ...ha ha yes!

    Nice puzzle smooth by Vulcan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good crossword with nice surfaces. Root issues in trainer, outrank and launch though

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Tales Dr. & Gowri. Creative thoughts are always fun. When ingrained with nostalgia, even nicer! Train travels and experiences thereof are unforgettable memories!! Dr.Rke's last para is kind of sad for me - mobile becoming ubiquitous is a boon as well as a curse, or put in a different way, a double-edged sword. I root for paper for crossword and even though e-ink is comfortable, the sight, feel and smell of books - who can resist! I still remember my school days from the musty smell of HMS Ulysses borrowed from my local library...many such wonders eReader and associated apps are unable to give..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad I have company for paper-pen solving. Gowri also mentioned it the other day. I was under the impression I was a loner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way. I agree with CPC completely. The other day, after this blog - i took out allmy old PGW for a revisit. My son was saying - we have it all in thr kindle. How to tell him Kindle is no match for those old old books belonging to my Dad - published by the original penguin.

      Delete
    2. Am a paper pen solver too. Only on Sundays on line

      Delete
  15. we had a complement with double tales by Dr. RKE and Gowri. finally Dr RKE switch over to mobile for solving CW. Todays grid significantly great by Vulcan. Interesting as usual.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com