Monday 6 May 2013

No.10765, Monday 06 May 13, Arden

Arden got me in the northeast today!

ACROSS
9 Plant caught over part of gun carriage (7) CLIMBER (C LIMBER)
10 A beast almost completely consumed the salt (7) OXALATE (OX ALL ATE) I was flummoxed here for some time keeping in mind the large number of salts that end in ate. Then I put in HYDRa ATE and got into a merry tizzy
11 Inducted when embarrassed with work inside home (5,2) ROPED IN (R(OP)ED IN)
12 Child having day time free is hopping on the grass (7) KATYDID (KID around (DAY T)* ) See comments
13 A politician follows a 10 proceeding by leaps (9) SALTATORY (A TORY after SALT)
15 Corrupt police not soft, when it is a threat to food safety (1,4) E COLI (pOLICE*)
16 Went down as the soldier gave up (7) RECEDED (RE CEDED)
19 The commander perishes outside eastern district (7) DIOCESE (DIES outside OC E)  See comments
20 Considers recalling some passengers to Oman (5) MOOTS (T<)
21 A mineral geminates differently (9) MAGNESITE (GEMINATES*) I first read it as germinates and then took a double take: Mineral germinates ?
25 Actor Hoffman’s got a barrel for collecting trash (7) DUSTBIN (DUSTIN with a B)
26 Money in the bank for a potential top side (7) DEPOSIT (TOP SIDE)*
28 Glass of drink for doctor-in-charge (7) ALEMBIC (ALE MB IC)
29 Blanks losing right for a nuclear bomb (7) LACUNAE (NUCLEAr)* Bomb as Anagram Indicator was nice when used with the adjective nuclear
DOWN
1 Greek character seen in a mini car usually (6) ICARUS (T)
2 Drive away what is heartlessly spilled out (6) DISPEL (SPI(-L)LED)*
3 I state a price in the same place (4) IBID (I BID)
4 An official not replaced immediately (6) PRONTO (PR NOT*)
5 It is absurd to have looked after a bird (8) COCKEYED (EYED after COCK)
6 Game fought over 21 for example (10) BATTLEDORE (BATTLED ORE) See comments
7 Pull up a dress from one’s collection (8) WARDROBE (DRAW< ROBE) See comments
8 Time limit for a late painter (8) DEADLINE (DEAD LINE) Painter is a line used to tie the boat, as every mariner knows
14 Capital supplement is accepted in an old music group (5,5) ADDIS ABABA (ADD IS AB(A)BA)
16 Mere make-up on the face could be therapeutic (8) REMEDIAL (MERE* DIAL)
17 Shut up in a costlier accommodation (8) CLOISTER (COSTLIER*) Recently went past the cloisters in Kankanady, Mangalore
18 I can do, I am shortly moving to the Caribbean island (8) DOMINICA (I CAN DO I'M)*
22 Happy to be in the air having left out the irritant (6) GADFLY (G(-L)AD FLY)
23 Silly to include a second head case (6) INSANE (S inside INANE)
24 Food as some measure of growth (6) ENTREE (EN TREE)
27 Said to be ready to travel as agreed (4) PACT (~PACKED)

20 comments:

  1. 3D - {I}{BID}
    6D - {BATTLED}{ORE}
    7D - {WARD<=}{ROBE}

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12A – {K{A(T)YD*}ID}
    19A – {DI{OC}ES}{E}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday morning blues, Kishore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deepak. Yup. Had a tough day yesterday and a sleepless night. I had got IBID but forgot to update it. The others, sadly, escaped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happened to me too on many a Monday

      Delete
    2. Even the ones I did, I updated the annos and marked the def.s in a haphazard manner.

      Delete
    3. I was so disoriented today, that I was trying to set up the link for the solution grid in the HTML without having inserted the picture first and hopelessly trying to locate the 'slash a' in the last few lines.

      Delete
    4. I think the chloral HYDRATE that I put in 10a put me completely off track

      Delete
  5. 6d battledore is an old form of shuttle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there is a small mistake in 4D too. Official should be 'pro', not just PR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got stuck in NE too, if that is any consolation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was struggling with 'stocking' for 7D- on the lines of 'pull up one's socks' & stock for for collection. Katydid did not help too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Child = KID
      having = Indicator for encapsulation
      day = DAY
      time = T
      free = AInd
      is hopping on the grass = Definition = {K{DAY+T*}ID}

      Delete
  10. +1 for the subject line . NE almost totally eluded me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think ARDEN has graduated for THC, seeing his extended run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arden always has 4 in a row so there is no increase as of today.

      Delete

deepakgita@gmail.com