Monday 10 August 2020

No 13010, Monday 10 Aug 2020, Hypatia

Solution to 4D has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular/novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
8   Cosmetic oil from sweetheart in work area (6) JOJOBA {JO}{JOB}{A} (Correction - {JO{JO}B}{A} - See comments)
9   Doctor No and old fellows switch positions (2,3,3) ON AND OFF {NO}*{AND}{O}{F}{F}
10 Elaborate shelf (5,3) FLESH OUT {SHELF}* [RA]
11 Time worked in Church, reflected one’s upbringing? (6) EMETIC {C{TIME*}E}<=
12 Threatening sibling drinking at home (8) SINISTER {S{IN}ISTER}
13 Bachelor saint abdicates Ashram built for creator (6) BRAHMA {B}{AsHRAM}*
14 She drills teeth from behind model to fill cavity (7) DENTIST {DEN{SIT<=}T}
17 Crooked Es replaced by Is in broadcast message (7) TWISTED TW(-ee+is}ISTED
20 Bird beef (6) GROUSE [DD]
22 It is very hard auditing Telco run dumbly (8) CORUNDUM [T]
25 Initially small children use leftover Plasticine to model (6) SCULPT Acrostic
26 The French annoyed by English game (8) LACROSSE {LA}{CROSS}{E}
27 Learned twisting for pen covers (8) PROFOUND {P{FOR<=}OUND}
28 Soft catcall entertains students (6) MELLOW {ME{LL}OW}

DOWN
1   Cops have essentially put a bit of tincture in bandage (8) POULTICE {PO{pUt}L{Ti...e}ICE}
2   Miniature plant or shrub on Saif's show (6) BONSAI [T]
3   Very old bear dressed for dance (6) CAVORT {CA{V}{O}RT}
4   Unfashionable to restore clothes in fashion (7) ?O?T?R? (Addendum - COUTURE {C{OUT}URE} -See comments)
5   What violinists do during and after a show? (4, 1,3) TAKE A BOW [C&DD]
6   From the side of women, say raised in English times (8) EDGEWAYS {W}{EG}<= in {E}{DAYS}
7   Maintain fine tree in the morning time (6) AFFIRM {A{F}{FIR}M}
15 Realistic, I felt terrible about regret (4,4) TRUE LIFE {I+FELT}* over {RUE}
16 Inspect rumours featuring variety (8) SPECTRUM [T]
18 Paint bird eating small animal (8) EMULSION {EMU}{L{S}ION}
19 Block 0-100 — clued terribly (7) OCCLUDE {0}{C}{CLUED*}
21 Video log (6) RECORD [DD]
23 Fly on Hypatia’s flower arrangement (6) RACEME {RACE}{ME}
24 Not any old masala with Oriental pasta (6) NOODLE {NO}{OLD*}{E}

Reference List
Sweetheart = JO, Area = A, Old = O, Fellow = F, Church = CE, Home = IN, Bachelor = B, Saint = S, The in French = LA, English = E, Student = L, Very = V, Women = W, Fine = F, Small = S, 100 = C, Oriental = E


Dr RKE's TalePiece

A TRUE LIFE experience

I was waiting in my DENTIST’s office for what seemed an eon. Was such a wait responsible for Einstein discovering “Time Dilation”, I wondered.  The receptionist fished out my unenviable RECORD from her computer and said with a PROFOUND air, “Sir, you have missed your last 3 appointments for scaling and re-filling”. Remembering my last root canal job, I shrank with SINISTER fear, to a size smaller than the BONSAI plants near the receptionist’s desk. I guess she sensed my apprehension and to MELLOW the mood, switched on the TV. Pink Panther 2 was playing on a movie channel for the nth time. Inspector Clousseau and Ponton were CAVORTing singing “JO-JO-BA”.. “ho-ho-bah”.

I was waiting for the scene in which the ravishing Sonia (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) would appear in COUTURE but I was called into the dentist’s room before that moment. He motioned me to the recliner couch and I could sense his TWISTED expression behind his mask, on looking at the pitiful state of my upper molar, even as he peered EDGEWAYS into the dental mirror. He then proceeded to poke the teeth with a sharp probe asking me which tooth hurt the most. I was uttering a groan in reply even before he touched the tooth. My GROUSE with dentists is they expect you to be clear in your communication when you cannot OCCLUDE your open jaw and half of your mouth is numb. He took a drill, hardened by CORUNDUM and proceeded to do the de-scaling. I can AFFIRM that the shrill whine of the motor heard ON-AND-OFF, is just as unbearable as that eerie sensation in your teeth. You are right in guessing that I went through the whole SPECTRUM of the pain scale from light green to deep red.

He then proceeded to FLESH OUT the details of what he planned to do with which teeth. He said things like “EMULSION cast, implantable denture, etc” but the only thing I registered in my EMETIC state was that it was going to cost me a bomb. He asked me to apply an ice POULTICE to the jaw and eat nothing, not even soft NOODLEs, for the next 6 hours. I ran out without even TAKING A BOW. How I wish BRAHMA did not nod off when he SCULPTed my teeth while creating me!

50 comments:

  1. Thank you Hypatia for a good workout.
    Thank you Dr.RKE for resuming the Tale Piece.
    Things back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I for one, can't wait to have "normalcy" restored.

      Delete
  2. 8a technical, clue seems to read Jo(Jo)b(a)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a good laugh at Brahma nodding off!!
    Looks like He nods off quite frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 17a broadcast:tweet or tweeted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Broadcast is past tense also,I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes- both broadcast and broadcasted are correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broadcasted is correct? Standard English?

      Delete
    2. I was also surprised- later (U.S.) variation?

      Delete
    3. Chambers does not give it,only Free Dic.

      Delete
  8. We get great clues like 9Ac on and off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:) Interestingly, like 9AC, I can see "Dr. No, ma" in the anagram of your name too:)

      Delete
  9. 11A- struggling with ethnic for a long time- did not get much held edgewise,either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 4d. COUTURE..cure..restore out..unfashionable c(out)ure

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is the function of 'clothes'?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr.RKE has to change his dentist. Can recommend an excellent one. Your tale is so realistic. Eagerly waiting for your book. Hope it's not concerning Neurosurgery. šŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is about neurosurgery only.

      Delete
    2. It is 2 chapters in a textbook of neurosurgery☹️

      Delete
    3. Nice story as usual RKE. Good to see so many words fitted well. In my clue, the dentist was a lady. It wouldve been nice if it was the same in your story too:)

      Delete
    4. Will remember that for the next round!

      Delete
  13. Is cure the proper word for restoration of clothes? Mend is the word,I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mend= cure. Common synonym? But does not feel right when clothes is mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont think I understand what you are saying here - there is no mend in the clue..

      Just as clothes can be deliberately "faded" in the name of fashion, "faded" clothes can also be "restored" to bring back their colour. "Restore" is used in that sense - not mend/darn.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering how do we get 'cure'- from restore?

      Delete
    3. Pretty much directly from the dictionary - in the sense of restore to good health - https://chambers.co.uk/search/?query=cure&title=thes

      Delete
  15. Mine was earlier. Thank you Prasad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "To restore clothes unfashionable in fashion" sounds better,positioning clothes properly as container.

      Delete
  16. Lovely puzzle. Super definition of emetic.
    Thank you Hypatia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dr RKE, Imagine to have a Dental Chair at home. and to go through compulsory cleaning every month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many clever clues, esp. 14A, 4D. Thanks, Hypatia. I have a query about 18D: EMULSION, where the containment indicator's placement in the clue "bird eating small lion" seems misleading. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bird eating small animal
      Look at it this way:
      bird/ eating small, [there is the] lion

      Delete
    2. Not very elegant though

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your feedback Amita. The intended parsing is as explained by CV sir.

      Animals eat small stuff all the time, but in the surface story I was painting - of "bird eating small animal", I was trying to conjure up this poem I read when I was in school. Its called "Beauty" by Nizzim Ezekiel and it went like this..

      The bird-book was beautiful
      It was also colourful
      I picked it up at a friend's
      We'd talked of means and ends
      In life and in poetry
      I turned a page silently
      And came upon a fine bird
      In my bones the marrow stirred
      It held a lizard by the head
      Which was beautiful, and dead.

      Have fond memories of the discussions we had when understanding "means" and "ends" and Beauty in that context. Perhaps you have read it too..

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the poem, Sowmya! I didn't know it. We had Ezekiel's Night of the Scorpion in school.

      Delete
  19. yes,I also felt the same way about the placement of containment indicator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. superb puzzles by hypatia. ON AND OFF, SINISTER, EMETIC, puzzles are too interesting. glad to know that today we could see as Dentist in plae Neuro. Nice tale. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com