Tuesday 11 August 2020

No 13011, Tuesday 11 Aug 2020, Bruno

Solution to 6A has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular/novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
6   Rent’s free —half of rest’s free (5) L?A?E (Addendum - LEASE reLEASE - See comments))
7   Batter’s condition, when on 99? Happy! (8) BEATIFIC {BEAT}{IF}{IC}
10 Peacekeeper’s dead — therefore suffer (7) UNDERGO {UN}{D}{ERGO}
11 It’s known that spring month's brief, golden, and quiet in the middle (1,6) A PRIORI {APRIl}{OR}{quIet}
12 Drug free person’s no burden on emergency room (7) NONUSER {N}{ONUS}{ER}
13 View from East’s positive and warm (7) EYESHOT {E}{YES}{HOT}
14 Sis and me beaten black and blue for bad habit (11) ABSENTEEISM*
19 Greenhouse gas found by Chinese engineer (7) METHANE {MET}{HAN}{E}
21 Part of life when the heart’s gone and charm’s no good (7) TEENAGE {ThE}{ENgAGE}
23 Retriever perhaps’ not very English — this dog is (7) TERRIER {RETRIEveR}* Semi&lit
25 Some untold steroid for senior citizen (7) OLDSTER [T]
26 Wears kit, runs to play sport (5,3) WATER SKI*
27 Animal left with headless object (5) LEMUR {L}{fEMUR} (Correction - {L}{dEMUR} - See comments)

DOWN
1   Cover girl joins group (8) BANDANNA {BAND}{ANNA}
2   Studies Latin and makes money (6) LEARNS {L}{EARNS}
3   Hate a beer brewed with corn hard to get drunk (10) ABHORRENCE {A+BEER+CORN+H}* (Addendum - {A+BEER+CORN}* over {H} - See comments)
4   Wine from a valley within Catalonia’s borders (4) CAVA {A}{V} in {Ca...iA}
5   Stop blockchains regularly getting hacked (6) KIBOSH {BlOcKcHaInS}*
6   Steaming sauna under large pieces of wood (6) LAUANS {L}{SAUNA*}
8   Middle Eastern airlines, flying north, disappeared (7) ISRAELI AIRLInES*
9   Landscape picture’s essence in travel document (5) VISTA {VIS{picTure}A}
13 Online slogan for Reagan 81’ perhaps is considered tops! (10) ELECTRONIC {ELECT RON}{Is}{Co...d}
15 Furniture reinforced by post supporting top of slab is immovable (7) STABILE {Slab}{TAB{I}LE}
16 Measure against being depicted in online caricature (4,4) MEAN TIME {ANTI} in {MEME}
17 Is setter extremely thirsty for peaceful relations? (5) AMITY {AM I}{Th...tY}
18 Fear — that is replaced by love in 23A (6) TERROR TERR(-ie+0)OR
20 Black and brown fabric (6) TARTAN {TAR}{TAN}
22 Ultimate objective of some pitiful lad negligently brought up (3-3) END-ALL [T<=]
24 General escape from catch and scratch (4) RASP gRASP

Reference List
99 = 1C, Dead = D, Golden = OR, No = N, East = E, Engineer = E, Good = G, Very = V, English = E, Left = L, Latin = L, Hard = H, Valley = V, Large = L, North = N, Post = I, Love = 0, General = G


Dr RKE's TalePiece

The OLDSTER sat on the LAUAN bench in the Grand Hope Park, Los Angeles. He wore a TARTAN sweater and a warm BANDANNA although it was early summer. He ABSENTly stroked the back of his TERRIER even as he stared vacantly at the STABILE abstract metal sculpture within his EYESHOT.  That far-away look in his eyes seemed to carry a story. I sat beside him and watched for a while, without interrupting his thought. Suddenly, he asked me in a voice that had a distinct RASP, “you like that, son?” pointing to the sculpture. Being an ELECTRONIC engineer, I had no eye for abstract art. I could not make out what that twisted structure was supposed to represent. Not wanting to offend the old man, I said simply “it is shiny, looks grand in the evening sun”.

He continued to tell his story, not bothering to see if I was listening. “I was just out of my TEENAGE when I enlisted for action in ‘Nam. When my buddies were out WATER SKIing in the beach back home, I was sweating it out in the jungle, in TERROR of a guerilla attack, breathing the METHANE from the marshes and having my rations being snatched by the flying LEMURs. One LEARNS to heartlessly look the other way when your brother-in-arms is felled by sniper fire. After 9 months I was on the brink of insanity. I was institutionalized for a year and with the help of an ISRAELI shrink in the Veterans Hospital, I managed to drive away the ghosts in my head. It was a second LEASE of life to me. I went on to become a realtor and in the MEANTIME continued helping out the cause of the veterans.  The deep ABHORRENCE for war never really left me. After I had made my fortunes, I commissioned this work of art to remind people about the futility of war. I chose to call it AMITY. I hope none of you youngsters have to UNDERGO the horrors that our generation went through.”

He then rose and walked away. I was shocked to see his terrier guiding him and the white cane carried by the blind in his hand. All the VISTAs he beheld were purely in his mind’s eye!  

49 comments:

  1. 3d the second anind is extraneous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that makes the surface reading good and complete.

      Delete
    2. Doest it suggest two seperate anag operations !

      Delete
    3. But there's only 1 anagrind... The second drunk is a containment indicator

      Delete
    4. That's right Mr/Ms Unknown, whoever you are

      Delete
  2. 6ac
    LEASE: rent
    Free: release - re(half of rest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one AJ. I was trying to understand 'half of rest' though I filled in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good puzzle. Thank you Bruno.
    Had a few blanks and doubts- cleared thanks to blog.
    27A- Object= Femur is hard to get,though Lemur may not be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a theme in this grid..
    Anyone identify that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many times I have repeated this. Anyone who comments as 'UNKNOWN', please mention your name in the comment

      Delete
    2. Sorry Colonel. For some reason, it doesnt register my name on the Google account.

      Delete
    3. I was wondering who got the theme- until Bruno cleared it.

      Delete
  6. The theme is. In every answer word or phrase there is a vowel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First letters of all Down clues spell BLACK LIVES MATTER

      Delete
    2. Clue acrostic it is, not a theme.
      THC has had clue acrostic a by some but spread over both ac and dn clues. Full-blooded.
      The first was by Cryptonyte but it was a personal message and he sprang a surprise on the paper.

      Delete
    3. Great! Theme of the day,month,year....

      Delete
    4. I remember it was done by me, Bhavan. Anyone else?
      You don't know when it will come. But it does come now and then. An occasion will demand it, I guess.

      Delete
    5. One min. I was less than careful. Yours is not clue acrostic. It is acrostic of first letters of solution words. Not done before,

      Delete
    6. My, my, acrostic of first letters of all down clues. This is great. I write down all the solution words in order to construct the tale but I missed this gem. Talk about being too close to the trees that you miss the forest. Bravo Bruno

      Delete
    7. Not clues. Of the initial letters of lights or solutions/slot entries.

      Delete
    8. I first wrote it that way but later corrected myself.

      Delete
  7. Poignant Tale Dr. RKE. When you have completed your work on the NS textbook, I think you must consider fiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6A...was too nice. unfortunately I could not posted. 1D....I am not getting anno.for ANNA. Thanks Bruno for a nice grid today.....Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Col.,
    This CW is to be classified as themed,though of a new and different type.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 15D- I am coming across Post=I for the first time. Is it a standard one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure it is standard, but I have seen it before; actually I may also have seen post for L too, which I couldnt agree with, since typically, visual clues are in caps. Happy to be corrected...

      Delete
  11. Hypatia only one puzzle in this round?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bruno browned me off! Offbeat .
    Incidentally, does any UK solver( I mean, non - Indians ?)try the Hindu crossies? Any idea or interaction with anyone? Any visitors to this blog ?

    Does Bruno use any special software?

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is no self-confessed or published evidence of any British citizen outside India doing THC.
    However, a visiting UK citizens in Kerala visited this blog and interacted with us and he had respect for THC and had a good opinion of the puzzle. He liked Arden's work more than that of any other, I think.
    Recently, Hypatia's work has been noticed and talked of approvingly by no less a person than Enigmatist the UK setter. That may be because he saw her clues in Twitter or somewhere online. No idea if he solves THC.
    Shuchi's blog Crossword Unclued received appreciation widely in the UK. No mean achievement.
    Our setters are making waves in UK competitions but whether that created any interest in THC among the British, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Bruno uses Antony Lewis's Crossword Compiler like a majority of setters in any country inluding the US.
    But that software or any other won't help in writing special effects like the acrostic today. That is out of the human brain..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, CV. It was just my curiousity.i was just drawing comparison among the overseas setters and our homegrown ones. The entire style between the Indian and overseas setters is so different.The overseas one seem to stick to conventional style whereas ours here are thoroughly off beat. Like today's Bruno's or Bhalachandra's. Hats off to Shuchi and Sowmya who are unique in the sense that they have created their own blogs, encouraging new setters and luring learners. New
    Software helps a lot in innovations and creativity. Imagine those days when a graph paper, pencil and eraser were the only tools!
    Never a dull moment for us !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Raju and CV sir. Recently I started using Crossword Compiler to lay out the grids and for some word fills. There are some word games websites (morewords.com and litscape.com) which I also use for help in identifying words for grid or in clues. But in the end, each clue is a short story and a wicked imagination is an unavoidable accessory...

      Delete
  16. Thank you raju & CV. Enlightening.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com