Saturday 30 July 2022

No 13622, Saturday 30 Jul 2022, Dreamer

ACROSS


8   Scold a boring group of stars (6) VIRAGO {VIR{A}GO}
9   Unrealistic nationalist movement by the travelling people (8) ROMANTIC {TIC}<=>{ROMAN} I thought travelling people are ROMANI? (Addendum - {N}{TIC}<=>{ROMA} - See comments)
10 Ace setter surprisingly avoids latest in crosswords and the like (2,6) ET CETERA {AcE+SETTER}* (Correction - {ACE+sETTER}* - See comments)
11 Unknown vehicle introduced in books is a vehicle pulled by animals, say (6) OXCART {X}{CAR} in {OT}
12 Possibly refer to parking zone that charges no tax on goods, for example (4,4) FREE PORT {REFER+TO+P}*
13 Centre for Biotechnology, Cuba developed soft cover used on the wheel of a vehicle (6) HUBCAP {b...cHn...y}{CUBA*}{P}
14 Order from workroom and atelier (7) MANDATE [T]
17 It makes the eyes smart with a great sulphur compound (4,3) TEAR GAS {A+GREAT+S}*
20 Is petitioner a legal entity that sells securities? (6) ISSUER {IS}{SUER}
22 Pennsylvania politician Henry gave permission to make brochure (8) PAMPHLET {PA}{MP}{H}{LET}
25 Swimmer reviewed system with automated computer program (6) TURBOT {RUT<=}{BOT}
26 Careless Curie in isolation (8) SOLITUDE  SOLIciTUDE
27 Model I hit is essentially consuming an Italian dessert (8) TIRAMISU {T}{I}{RAM}{IS}{c..sUm..g}
28 Angry son punched, biting face of Robert Bailey in the end (6) SHIRTY {S}{HI{Ro...t}T}{b...eY}

DOWN


1   British queen and Roman goddess (8) VICTORIA [DD]
2   Prepared note in cell (6) GAMETE {GAME}{TE}
3   Do without minimum of food at a US state, for the most part (6) FOREGO {Food}{OREGOn}
4   Hint about depth and width (7) BREADTH {BREA{D}TH}
5   Vessel mainly transports controversial energy drink (8) SMOOTHIE {S{MOOT}HIp}{E}
6   Rob keeps a piece of nougat and cake in buffet (5,3) SNACK BAR {S{N}ACK}{BAR}
7   I make a mistake in South American mountain range (6) SIERRA {S{I}ERR}A}
15 Tattoo of stupid European crossing river with a bar (8) DRUMBEAT {D{R}UMB}{E}{A}{T}
16 Run away from ultrathin building, deserting husband (4,4) TURN TAIL ULTRAThIN*
18 An English company framing director Lawrence's sketch (8) ANECDOTE {AN}{E}{C{D}O}{TE}
19 Without using recipe, ultimately prepared some soup for marsupial (7) OPOSSUM {SOMe+SOUP}*
21 Brainless princess deposits after retirement (6) STUPID {DI}{PUTS}<=
23 Attack secret agent and saint (6) MOLEST {MOLE}{ST}
24 Old Trafford primarily entertained by Mane's empty talk (3,3) HOT AIR {H{O}{T}AIR}

Reference List


Movement = TIC, Unknown = X, Books = OT, Parking = P, Soft = P, Petitioner = SUER, Politician = MP, Henry = H, System = RUT, Curie = CI,  Model = T, Son = S
Prepared = GAME, Note = TE, Hint = BREATH, Depth = D, Controversial = MOOT, Energy = E, Rob = SACK, Cake = BAR, Make a mistake = ERR, South American = SA, European = E, River = R, Bar = T, Husband = H, English = E, Company = CO, Director = D, Princess = DI, Secret agent = MOLE, Saint = ST, Mane = HAIR

Colour/Font Scheme


DefinitionSolutionComponent lettersEmbedded linksTheme word Reference list wordAnagram IndicatorC/C indicatorReversal IndicatorHidden word IndicatorLetter Pick indicatorDeletion IndicatorHomophone IndicatorMovement IndicatorPositional IndicatorSubstitution IndicatorOpposite indicatorLink/Connector, Extraneous

30 comments:

  1. MY BROTHER

    In passing, I have written about my brother, earlier too, but this post is dedicated to him.

    My brother is 12 years younger than me. I still remember setting eyes on him in the Hospital ward. With a head full of curly HAIR, he looked like a new born OPOSSUM to me.

    Following the ECHELONS of our family, he PLODDED through his alphabets at 3 & could read proficiently, at 5. Before I knew it, my childhood books started DISAPPEARING. On his 6th birthday, he laid SEIGE to my entire AMAR CHITRA KATHA collections.

    A bright student, he was also an avid quizzer & writer. With his LOOSE clothes on his thin frame, he was no ATHLETE. Yet, he surprised all, by winning the All India Sports Quiz. I SWEAR, no one could have PREDICTED his next move of writing regularly in Sports columns & Sports Magazines. As a teenager, he was part of a special student reporting team, that travelled all the way from SIKKIM to SRILANKA to write, first hand, about various sporting EVENTS.

    A WARM, amicable guy, the two of us fought only twice. First time, it was over DOSAS. He was so hungry, he finished my share too & my Mom had to knead ATTA to make rotis afresh for my breakfast & I ended up being late for my Physics exam. I insisted, he EATS like a pig & he took this BARB personally.

    2nd time, he blamed me, saying, he failed to score centum in Maths, because I did not teach him the right method of constructing OBTUSE TRIANGLES.

    As he BLOSSOMED into a strapping adolescent, his THIRST for books was amazing & our Home Library grew in leaps & bounds.

    He was my FELLOW MAN, in every way. When my parents started looking out for my alliance, he took it upon himself to check out the prospective grooms. His SOLE criteria was that I should be happy with the guy & he did a STOLID job of this.

    Finally my marriage was fixed, with his full approval & we both realised, I would be moving to Chennai. In this morose state, we had our 3rd fight. I wanted to take atleast 50 books from our library & he wanted to part with none. Since the marriage was to be in Chennai, my parents had their hands full, making all the arrangements from Delhi. There was so much luggage, I had to temporarily abandon my idea of carting books.

    On the eve of our departure to Chennai, my Dad was shocked to see this huge trunk - my brother's luggage. He insisted, he wanted to bring it to the wedding.

    On the day of our departure, early morning, disaster struck. My brother slipped & fell on the stairs & had to be rushed to the hospital. A fracture to his HIP JOINT, a huge cast & immobile for 6 weeks. My Mom was BERSERK with worry & grief. Our neighbours agreed to take care of him & we left for the wedding without him.

    ReplyDelete

  2. When we alighted in Chennai, my Dad was surprised to see my brother's trunk as part of our luggage. We just carted it along, thinking it was a mistake.

    My wedding day dawned & I really missed him. Those were the pre SKYPE days. After the wedding was over & I reached my in laws house, there was an STD call from my brother. After wishing me, he asked me to open his trunk. We found out later, it had been deliberately loaded with our luggage, by our neighbour's son.

    Well! What should I find inside, but over a 100 books from our joint library, all my favourites. A huge box of cosmetics including my favourite LIP BALM! And a lo.....ng letter chronicling our life together & what we mean to each other! As I stood there weeping, I forgot to even MEDITATE for his speedy recovery.

    Needless to say, these are my treasured possessions till today. After almost 30 years, life came full circle last year, when my brother too moved to Chennai. Time & distance never dimmed our closeness, but it still feels special to think, on any given day, he is only a few kilometers away from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well written! You seem to have a knack for heart-touching stories

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Such a heart warming story - made me tear up

      Delete
    4. Excellent tale. Beautifully written on brother & sister feelings.

      Delete
    5. Nice story and very well narrated.

      Delete
  3. 9a colloq they are Roma N(nationalist) TIc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got the anno wrong on this one. Roma i learnt today is nationalist

      Delete
  4. 10a how do we get "et cetera" from (ae + setter)* ? We have an S instead of a C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo in anno. Latest (last of crosswords ) deletes S not C.

      Delete
    2. yeah right. got it now. Got confused what "latest" means.

      Delete
  5. 10a latest in crosswords is 's' which must be deleted, not 'c'.
    (ACE sETTER)* gives et cetera

    ReplyDelete
  6. 26a typo only less to in blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will correct 10A.
    I find 'latest in/of' has been used liberally in Crosswords to denote the last letter, whereas dictionary meaning of latest is 'Something that is the most recent or current of it's kind'.
    Comments please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one writes down the word, the last letter would be the most recent one to be written (come-in)

      Delete
    2. The latest information will always be the last one we receive.

      Chambers.co.uk
      Last:
      adverb 1 most recently • When did you see her last?.

      Delete
    3. Similar principle but if we bring the antonym into the picture: if earliest can be considered as opposite to latest in some sense, then intuitively something like 'earliest of' can point to first letter and 'latest of' to the last?

      Delete
    4. I have seen "latest in/of/from " to indicate last letter in published grids. Here is only example from Azed.

      Grant maybe topped by latest of cuts, alarming (5) - SCARY

      And one example from Guardian (setter Paul) for "earliest"
      Earliest of settlers in a mountain range in India, speechless (6) - AGHAST

      Delete
  8. IMO,;latest - last to be out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice grid! Liked ET CETERA, VIRAGO, FOREGO, BREADTH, TURBOT to name a few. Didn't get the anno for SOLITUDE till I checked here. Thanks Dreamer and Col!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes,I too learnt about CI as a unit of radiation only today.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com