Wednesday 24 April 2019

No 12608, Wednesday 24 Apr 2019, Incognito


ACROSS
8   Bread and gravy (4) CASH [DD]
9   Small dog ate nothing for tea (5) PEKOE {PEK{O}E}
10 William Blake's hidden metric foot (4) IAMB [T]
11 Old boys use chemical to prevent bleeding along with nickel (6) ALUMNI {ALUM}{NI}
12 Britisher advancing money and mixing (8) BLENDING {B}{LENDING}
13 Given up for Japanese beverage before beginning of night (8) FORSAKEN {FOR}{SAKE}{Ni..t}
15 New York exports Tungsten compound to Scottish archipelago (6) ORKNEY {NEw+YORK}*
17 Explode protectively, a recoiling and concealed underwater missile (7) TORPEDO [T<=]
19 Yes, ring can be made into medical equipment (7) SYRINGE*
22 Violent gnome captured king at river (6) MEKONG {ME{K}ONG*}
24 Inclination of Indian state, small in size (8) APPETITE {AP}{PETITE}
26 Three wickets in a row got by, say, a bowler with a deceptive action (3,5) HAT TRICK {HAT}{TRICK}
28 An animal to drag back around Mombasa airport (6) WOMBAT {WO{moMBAsa}T<=}
30 Army team's cab (4) TAXI {TA}{XI}
31 Depend upon a pivotal mechanism (5) HINGE [DD]
32 Defrost by temporary heating and warming at first (4) THAW Acrostic

DOWN
1   TV comedienne Lucille's dance (4) BALL [DD]
2   Digital way of conveying a green signal? (6-2) THUMBS-UP [CD]
3   State connection and transmit data from earth to a satellite (6) UPLINK {UP}{LINK}
4   Eisenhower not completely banal to create flower arrangement (7) IKEBANA {IKE}{BANAl}
5   Enemy orc arranged a ritual (8) CEREMONY*
6   Animal for which kid went back twice (3-3) DIK-DIK <=
7   Sign seen in phenomenon (4) OMEN [T]
14 Renovation of zoo quarters gives fresh air? (5) OZONE {ZOO*}{N}{E}
16 Halved or two cubed (5) EIGHT [DD] {16/2 and 23}
18 Tail-light finally fell off around beginning of February in aerial combat (8) DOGFIGHT {DOG}{Fe...y}{lIGHT}
20 Inform and be close (8) INTIMATE [DD]
21 Prohibit monarch dealing in money (7) BANKING {BAN}{KING}
23 Get renovated boat in (6) OBTAIN*
25 Indian uncle (6) PAWNEE [DD]
27 Indian king goes back to leave the door slightly open (4) AJAR<=
29 The first male was a mother? (4) ADAM {A}{DAM}

Reference List
Army = TA (Territorial Army}, Quarters = N,S,E,W, Mother = DAM

GRID

16 comments:

  1. My left and right thumbs played fastest fingers first, stopping only briefly at Japanese beverage. fluent as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for chacha and words like that for Indian uncle!
    Wombat also eluded me since I could not get MBA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not spot any theme today, maybe we will have to wait till the morrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 25D I got the answer right but couldn't get the connection to Uncle. Could someone explain please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had clicked on the link Pawnee, you may have got a glimmer. Pawnee are an American Indian tribe. Here Indian has nothing to do with us.
    In the UK, uncle is a popular term for a moneylender. Pawnee is a person to whom we go and deposit something like an ornament, watch or vessel and get some cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already knew Pawnee as the Indian tribe. The moneylender reference is new to me. Thanks for the explanation.

      Delete
  6. To pawn some goods is fairly common. Pawnee/ pawner come from that root.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the puzzle but I have a general query that follows from 25 DN.
    Uncle = moneylender is a lesser-known British colloquialism. I wish setters would avoid such clues. Most solvers of THC are Indian, I presume. While we can be expected to have a good English vocabulary and general knowledge, why should we be expected to know out-of-date British slang? Is it because the clue has been borrowed from a British puzzle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assure you, madam, that I have not borrowed the clue from a British puzzle.

      Delete
    2. Pawn broker is pretty common trade in India! No?

      Delete
    3. Hi Amita. Whilst accepting the point you make, 'lesser-known' is subjective, is it not? Still, I can see the problem you faced and I can appreciate your view.

      Having said that, no setter here 'borrows' or 'has any need to borrow' any clue from any British puzzle and the insinuation is rather insulting and uncalled for imho! I wish you had not included that last sentence in your otherwise fair comment.

      Delete
    4. Puzzles here are original.. Setters do a lot of hard work to bring original clues..
      This should be appreciated and acknowledged.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. I apologise whole-heartedly. As a puzzle solver, I am grateful to all setters for bringing me something so enjoyable every day.
    My last question was prompted by my recent discovery that the answers to several cryptic crossword clues are available on the internet, indicating that there's a pool of readymade clues that a setter can draw upon. That's all. I assure you that I appreciate the work that goes into making a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would the fun be in that!!! For a 'setter', the greatest kick and fun is in 'setting' a clue, which is one's own take on a word to create an original puzzle.

      Anyway, thanks for understanding what I meant Amita. Keep solving and commenting. Your impressions are very important to setters! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I will be responding to this a little later. I might place my Comment under Thursday's blog.

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Satyen, for the insight into setters' minds. Setting a puzzle is far more challenging than we solvers realize!
    I want to reiterate that my remark was a general query. It was not directed at a specific individual and should not be taken personally.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com