Saturday, 24 April 2021

No 13230, Saturday 24 Apr 2021, Lightning

 

Across

1 Mr. Newton and I interrupting clergyman (8) MINISTER {MI{N}{I}STER}
5 A fellow joining sizeable event (6) AFFAIR {A}{F}{FAIR}
9 Let siren damage ear, perhaps (8) LISTENER {LET+SIREN*}
10 Enduring heartless command (6) BIDING {BIDdING}
12 It can lift // a bird (5) CRANE(DD)
13 Unidentified at first, thief leaving opposite house without borders (9) ANONYMOUS {ANtONYM}{hOUSe}
14 Appalled that contents of bag has tobacco (6) AGHAST (T)
16 Visualise picture frames at home (7) IMAGINE {IMAG{IN}E}
19 A group of people working without restraint (7) ABANDON {A}{BAND}{ON}
21 Like power to rent (6) PLEASE {P}{LEASE}
23 Perhaps use caution — departing unionist is stubborn (9) TENACIOUS {uSE+CAUTION*}
25 About to replace one salmon that is not salty (5) FRESH {F(-i+RE)SH}
26 Continue to stay with mother during lull (6) REMAIN {RE{MA}IN}
27 Container where nectar is processed (8) CANISTER {NECTAR+IS*}
28 Enthusiastic ward entrusted in part (6) ARDENT (T)
29 Stable one that takes to water? (8) SEAHORSE (CD)

Down

1 Evil intent at shopping centre knocking off fifty diamonds (6) MALICE {MALl}{ICE}
2 Broadcast a slogan — it resulted in yearning for the past (9) NOSTALGIA {A+SLOGAN+IT*}
3 Small amount of money cut short by European — it’s part of an act (5) SCENE {S}{CENt}{E}
4 Fine English cricket side gets hard worker (7) ELEGANT {E}{LEG}{ANT}
6 Fear Italy may be torn by a lie (9) FAIRYTALE {FEAR+ITALY*}
7 I try to follow a male friend (5) AMIGO {A}{M}{I}{GO}
8 Express one’s regret at fault (8) REGISTER {I+S+REGRET*}
11 Mythical one restrained in speech (4) LOKI {~LOWKEY}

15 Caught amidst increase in craving (9) ADDICTION {ADDI{CT}ION}  {ADDI{C}TION} See comments
17 Police officer at home with eyewitness checking out a Tesla (9) INSPECTOR {IN}{SPECTatOR}
18 Well cooked crab I ate — it could make one sick (8) BACTERIA {CRAB+I+ATE*}
20 Leaders of nation obtain overwhelming news at midday (4) NOON (Acrostic)
21 Fee provided by petty officer at part of journey (7) POSTAGE {PO}{STAGE}
22 Essential part of electricity // bill (6) CHARGE (DD)
24 Hollywood actor turns wanderer (5) NOMAD {DAMON<=}
25 Oddly flat appeal with high confidence (5) FAITH {FlAt}{IT}{H}

 

Reference List

Mr=Mister, Newton=N, Fellow=F, At home=In, Working=On, Power=P, Unionist=U, About=Re, Mother=Ma
Fifty=L, Diamonds=Ice, Small=S, European=E, English=E, Cricket side=Leg, Hard worker=Ant, Male=M, One=I, Caught=C, At home=In, Tesla=T, Petty officer=PO, Appeal=It, High=H

Colour/Font Scheme

Definition, Solution, Component letters, Embedded links, Theme word,  Reference list word, Anagram Indicator, C/C indicator, Reversal Indicator, Hidden word Indicator, Letter Pick indicator, Deletion Indicator, Homophone Indicator, Movement Indicator, Positional Indicator, Substitution, Indicator, Opposite indicator, Link/Connector, Extraneous

 

14 comments:

  1. Beauty of a puzzle! My COD Minister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great puzzle- as expected from Lightning.
    Thank you Ramesh for the accurate and elaborate blogging- a pleasure for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanq for letting me learn a new word today and that was in the context of 11D - Mythical one restrained in speech (4).
    Although, I managed to solve almost the rest of the clues, apart from the above (11.D) I failed in my attempts of 5.A and also 8.D. And finally accessed this blogsite to know the answers.
    Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lightning strikes once a month. Wishing for more. Elation guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such excellent clues! Solved quite many. 11D and 25A I was clueless and 14A and 19A too clever.
    Thanks, Lightning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 26A source of REIN? syn of LULL?
    couldn't find out. somebody explain, pl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop,restrain,halt are synonyms of rein which could be extended to lull.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com