Saturday 5 October 2019

No 12748, Saturday 05 Oct 2019, Dr. X

ACROSS

1 Kite say around shore finds lifeless snails at last in small amounts (5,3,5) DRIBS AND DRABS {BIRD<=}{S AND}{DRAB}{snailS}
8 Throws husband off the edge of the roof (5) EAVES {hEAVES}
9 They are interested in shooting stars? (9) PAPARAZZI (CD)
11 Drink one beverage with spot of Scotch at the end of day to relax (4,2,4) TAKE IT EASY {TAKE}{I}{T EA}{Scotch}{daY}
12 Search around to get hold of right frame (4) GRID {DIG<=} around {R}
14 Pointed out injured duck, nearly dead (7) ADDUCED {DUCk+DEAD*}
16 One seen in circus trick, smooth reportedly (7) TRAPEZE {~TRAP EASE}
17 Entrance of exotic sirens around middle of night (7) INGRESS {SIRENS*} around {niGht}
19 Oddly Britain struggles in fight for visionary goal (7) RAINBOW {R{BrItAiN*}OW}
21 They are charged in public houses for a little naughty love (4) IONS {I(-naughty+O}NS}
22 Mock fellows retained by expert to reorganise files on disk (10) DEFRAGMENT {DEF{RAG}{MEN}T}
25 Silly Republican ass in US beginning to crow, he’s self-obsessed (9) NARCISSUS {R+ASS+IN+US+Crow*}
26 Scoundrel killing a little rare animal (5) OTTER {rOTTER}
27 Drama, difficult to understand, pretend to be uninterested (4,4,2,3) PLAY HARD TO GET {PLAY}{HARD}{TO}{GET}

DOWN

2 Endlessly upset about sanction, director withdrew (7)  REVOKED {EVER<=} around {OK}+{D}
3 Contaminated herbs — medic gets dishonoured (10) BESMIRCHED {HERBS+MEDIC*}
4 Big politician overwhelmed by alcoholic spirit (5) AMPLE {A{MP}LE}
5 Retired journalist, badly off, about to meet investor (9) DEPOSITOR {ED<=}{PO{SIT}OR}
6 Unusual hazard after Republican replaces Democrat (4) RARE {(-d+R)ARE}
7 Oddball in Spanish island going topless — blunder in retrospect (7) BIZARRE {iBIZA}{ERR<=}
8 Removal of one offending issue containing ten revolting illustrations (11) EXTRADITION {E{X}{ART<=}DITION}
10 Where a diver might be // experiencing difficulty (2,4,5) IN DEEP WATER (DD)
13 Got roaring drunk, showing great enthusiasm (6,2,2) RARING TO GO {GOT+ROARING*}
15 Daisy foolishly consumes bit of strong spirit leading to indigestion (9) DYSPEPSIA {DAISY*} around {Strong}{PEP}
18 Popular girl consuming ecstasy, intimate after losing bit of awareness (7) GENERAL {G{E}{NEaR}AL}
20 Extremely risqué, wearing wet pant (7) BREATHE {B{RisquE}ATHE}
23 Some facades arbitrarily knocked back and demolished (5) RASED (T<=)
24 Terse husband concealed sorrow (4) PITY {PIThY}

Reference List

Husband=H, One=I, Right=R, Love=O, Republican=R
Director=D, Politician=MP, Journalist=Ed, Democrat=D, Ten=X, Girl=Gal, Ecstasy=E

Colour/Font Scheme

DefinitionSolutionComponent lettersEmbedded linksTheme word Anagram IndicatorC/C indicatorReversal IndicatorHidden word IndicatorLetter Pick indicatorDeletion IndicatorHomophone IndicatorMovement IndicatorPositional IndicatorSubstitution, IndicatorLink/Connector, Extraneous

48 comments:

  1. On paper after a long time. Glad could do it without online version.
    Some teasing ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the puzzle in Excel after a long time..

      Delete
    2. Vasant. Please rescue us . Find a way of circumventing the subscription route. The most expensive newspaper finds us to be good suckers to trap us to pep up their sales, knowing how addicted we are. THCC is a forum of crossword buffs who promote the newspaper, indirectly. Now this slap in our face ! Can CV do something to persuade them to register the THCC enbloc and give us online access ?

      Delete
    3. No worries Raju! We Indians have the most inventive minds. Juggad technology will come to forefront again.

      Delete
    4. Raju ji, can you email the last interactive version. I am not able to locate in my email box.

      Delete
    5. Thanks,, sree-sree. My email address is sapraj2711@gmail.com.

      In times of crisis, it is nice to see friends rallying together ! KKR garu forwarded to me the screen. Shot of what he got from Vasant. I am struggling to di on my iPad with no avail.
      We must fight back for rights to get these online going again.

      Delete
  2. Will comment later. Waiting for print edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the time being sign up for a trial of epaper.

      Delete
  3. CV Sir can use his good offices to make THC available in online as hitherto. From today it is made on subscription basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a box item on Th that says-
    "A metered pay wall has been introduced on the website free access to ten articles a month for those who have not signed up"
    Not sure how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ask you for your mobile number/email and give you temporary login. That temp gets you ten art I suppose.

      I got one though I don't intend to buy sub. Its like I go to a hotel for eating poori and they saying, poori is served included in the meals so pls buy meals.

      Unless they come out with thcc daily only sub, I am staying away.

      Delete
    2. Pls read THC daily not thcc.

      Delete
  5. Stuck at a few naughty ones and got them cleared thanks to the blog & Ramesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh DEAR! I seem to be suffering of DYSPEPSIA! I was always RARING TO GO first thing in the morning but today I was IN DEEP WATER! And now I have TO PLAY HARD...
    Why, what happened?
    My dear grid has become dear. The online free option has been REVOKED.
    What a PITY!
    BREATHE easy Pal. Are you not a votary of the song "Oovasi Oorvasi TAKE IT EASY Policy"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! The woes of THC online solvers most aptly put!

      Delete
  7. Thanks Ramesh for the wonderful/colourful blogging as always.
    Thanks also for the Reference List which was missing through the full week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. KKR- after solving it on paper!
    I too get the print edition. Now I will have to wait for it. But what happens when I am in U.S.? I used to do it before everyone else just past midnight India time. Now, I can't do it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems, Paddy. Main hoo na.

      Delete
    2. Translation:I am there.. Or rather.. We are there

      Delete
    3. Wow! A big Thank you- in advance. But then I will have to wait till morning in U.S.!

      Delete
    4. No need for translation- at least for me.

      Delete
    5. When in US like I am now look at the blog and forget the crossword.In any casi if they want to charge for it they should make huge changes to the user ibterface

      Delete
  9. I had tried to log in. Now I have received a mail from TH that my one month FREE trial has been activated. So I get 3o days time now- hoping for some relief by then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have taken subscription for the THepaper thinking that I can do without a separate subscription for cwd. But don't know how to work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each section is a different subscription. epaper doesn't seem to work for crossword. I have a 5 year subscription. So I still get the crossword in digital format but not interactive version.

      For now I have written MACROs in excel to generate grid and display current clue on the cell, like guardian cryptic.

      May be I will convert that into android app and sell???

      Delete
    2. Copyright issues sir! Going on dassera holidays for a week. Permission only for IXL. I will mail you if the situation doesn't change.

      I have put in a mail to senior guy there who is in alum network, for a single THC daily only subscription. Let's see if anything changes.

      Delete
  11. It seems TH is giving some free articles every month online. Once we cross the limit, we will not be allowed to view. How many articles per month? I don't know.
    If they had included THC too in that list, our problem would have been solved, I think. But it doesn't seem to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One typo (in spite of checking) and I go way down!
    Nice close contest between father & son. Best Wishes to both.
    Had to remember and search for Ramani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KKR is at Super 13. I wish he would be in top 10!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ram for your wishes. I would be happy if I am in top 30
      Good luck to you too!

      Delete
    3. Keep going KKR.
      Nice to see Ban Chang, Rayon, Thailand in the list:-)

      Delete
    4. Yes, we too are happy to see Rayong in the list. Goodluck to you

      Delete
  13. Hi Doc, The. Hindu crosswords are wholly produced by our own compilers who are mainly our bloggers. They have no business coming in between you all and we, the solvers by introducing a paid package, like the TV channels. This has riled me no end , as a result of which I could not do the crosswords. I managed to get the printed ones today and enjoyed your grid thoroughly. I like PAPARAZZI Aas a very imaginative clue.

    The Col is AWOL in Srinagar and hopefully , on his return, he would intervene with the Hindu Editorial section and restore status quo ante to keep this blog alive and kicking.

    Let us all protest with one voice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Started late and posted at 11:42.All correct and still at no.38

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's high time , the Hindu crossword corner started it's own crosswords. We will all definitely subscribe to them for sure.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com