Sunday 6 October 2019

The Sunday Crossword No 3068, Sunday 06 Oct 2019


ACROSS
1   Over-complicated airport unfinished with, oddly, no bins (5-8) HEATH-ROBINSON {HEATHROw}{NO+BINS}*
10 Prove the stupidity of 'Jerusalem artichoke turnover'? (5) REBUT<=
11 Fillet chum – and serve on this (4,5) BONE CHINA {BONE}{CHINA}
12 Team assembled in factory? (9) WORKMATES {WORK{TEAM*}S} TEAM on double duty
13 Embodiment of love in opera (Tosca) (5) ERATO [T]
14 Rhetorical expression that was taught in Roman kindergartens? (1,3,3) I FOR ONE [C&DD]
16 In England, choir endlessly making the same sounds (7) ECHOING {E{CHOIr}NG}
18 Being sorry, repent 100% (3,4) PERCENT {REPENT+C}*
20 Becomes absorbed by invigorating ski inns (5,2) SINKS IN*
22 Emails appear here when genius removes underwear (5) INBOX {braIN BOX}
24 Dry debate regurgitated for childhood companion (5,4) TEDDY BEAR*
26 Industrial demolition of ethnic state (9) TECHNICAL {ETHNIC*}{CAL}
27 Old corsair that's amassed Liberians' first pieces of eight (5) OCTAL Acrostic
28 Rampantly keen, as my randy economist (7,6) MAYNARD KEYNES*

DOWN
2   Everyman turned up: pub with green light to restrict sales (7) EMBARGO {ME<=}{BAR}{GO}
3   To admit love in place of worship is symbol of solidarity (5,4) TOTEM POLE {TO}{TEMP{0}LE}
4   Cold fish: starters of roach or tail-end of turbot (5) ROBOT {Ro..h}{Or}{turBOT}
5   Restyling stairs with Ben to get handy feature there (9) BANISTERS {STAIRS+BEN}* Semi&lit
6   Recess getting hot in French resort (5) NICHE {NIC{H}E}
7   Japanese tradition puts outfit on duck, essentially beaming (7) ORIGAMI {0}{RIG}{beAMIng}
8   Cake with sharp ends getting commendations (7,6) BROWNIE POINTS {BROWNIE}{POINTS}
9   Officials needing great blanket to be put on sons (5-8) MAJOR-GENERALS {MAJOR}{GENERAL}{S}
15 Distinguished gallery investing in Wacky Races vehicle (6,3) ESTATE CAR {ES{TATE}CAR*}
17 Lovely strong swimmer (5-4) HUNKY-DORY {HUNKY}{DORY}
19 Woman concerning a certain Boris, we're told (7) REBECCA {RE}{BECCA}(~ becker)
21 Fervid respect for symbol of monarchy (7) SCEPTRE*
23 Gas produced by kiss not at all uplifting (5) XENON {X}{NONE<=}
25 'Doctor' hates to see this beer in Denmark (5) DALEK {ALE} in {DK}

Reference List
Chum = CHINA, 100 =C, State = CAL, Love = 0,  Hot = H, Duck = 0, Son = S, Concerning = RE, Kiss = X

GRID

20 comments:

  1. As I do not have access to THC, I am afraid I will not be able to post any blog tomorrow as it had been planned and scheduled. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, if you get the clues and grid can you post the blog?
      Or Prasad/Ramesh can chip in?

      Delete
  2. You should be able to get a one month FREE trial offered by TH.
    I have just forwarded a mail from TH sent to me after I logged in for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paddy, I got your mail too. But when I go to register myself for the free trial, it says you are already registered. So, a dud for me there.

      Delete
  3. Prasad wanted off till end of Dusserah.Maybe Bhavan can chip in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left my laptop and et al used for regular solving at home. So couldn't forward the XL sheets to KKR ji.

      I can post the question and anno as per my capability but am not sure if it will be anywhere near the master std.

      Delete
    2. No problem Prasad.. You just post.

      Delete
  4. I have subscribed for print edition. I can type and send the clues if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. +1
      In the discussion on how to salvage, the Sunday grid seems to have been ignored!
      Ha ha!

      Delete
  6. I have taken a conscious decision not to blog.
    I am registered with the website but this one-month free trial or anything like that is not happening. Always back to pay up before visiting.
    Anyway, as the cwd is behind a paywall, I will not use material on a public platform. Not only TH but also a puzzle service provider is involved.
    I know that some programs that were sweeping the clues and offering an interactive grid to solve were taken off recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1 on posting all clues and answers at one go.

      It should be decided by col when he gets back.
      Just to maintain continuity, till col gets back online I can open a blank page and we can have gen discussion about the cwd. since most of us are in trial (epaper not the puzzle. Puzzle gives only trial ones and not today's puzzle as trial in my experiance) we can discuss the puzzle and any difficult Anno's.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Prasad. It is Col who has to decide how the blog should go about on THC

      Delete
  7. I don't think Blogging in the present format is a problem of Copy right.The Times puzzle which is a subscribed puzzle has a daily blog and so does the Telegraph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The site has a section called 'clued in'. From what I read therein, it seems it will answer queries on clues. But by whom, from when, etc., I don't know.
    Under such circumstances and when the site has the notice 'all rights reserved' I would not like to write the blog until the position is clear and the Col takes a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found that the CW can be downloaded from epaper and the grid can be filled. But I have yet to figure figure out how to move the cursor on to the desired row/column (on my nexus). It will be easier on a system ( lap/desk top) I hope. Yet to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of us with our knees & legs around our neck! The Col is the architect of this blog and he is away. So we have to play the waiting game until his return. What an unholy mess the Hindu is creating !

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com