Thursday 10 October 2019

No 12751, Thursday 10 October 2019, Afterdark

ACROSS
1 Last employee gets kiss before joining duty? Too much (6) EXCESS [employeE + X + CESS]
4 Berating the state of winter in Singapore; vent out (8) SCOLDING [COLD inside SING a pore]
10 Magazines and papers covered the scandal involving this (9) SANDPAPER [T]
11 Genetic unit found by college academic uses oxygen (5) CODON [College + DON outside Oxygen]
12 Presently at Netherlands, a liberal democrat's rising above leaders (5) ALDRA [Acrostic]
13 America claims right on unknown constellation (4,5) URSA MINOR [USA outside Right + MINOR]
14 Maybe Don Corleone gets high endlessly after dark in the company of Scotsman (7) ITALIAN [TALl + I inside IAN] after dark = Afterdark = I?
16 Place to rest at home finally (4) SITE [SIT + homE]
19 Endless time needed to produce body fluids (4) SERA [endlesS + ERA]
21 Leader in second position lives in the past, ones in party earlier ignore (7) DISOBEY [Anno pending]
24 Do self-serving lawyers chase this? (9) AMBULANCE [CD]
25 Wife's cooperation is needed to get a child (5) WHELP [Wife + HELP]
26 Existence of bribe in government suppressed (5) BEING [T]
27 Say, Uncle Brown protects half of Arab insurgents, primarily from someone from Israel (9) SAMARITAN [SAM + TAN outside ARab + Insurgents]
28 Extra over? Upset about team captain, Hall exits first incidentally (2,3,3) BY THE BYE [Anno pending]
29 Well, master is upset (6) STREAM [MASTER]*

DOWN
1 At the heart, director's stable but delirious (8) ECSTATIC [dirECtor + STATIC]
2 A foreign national can harm India, obliterate its capital and seize area (8) CANADIAN [CAN + iNDIA outside Area]
3 Colour of sea stays constant (5) SEPIA [SEA outside PI]
5 Police Sergeant in middle, primarily searching for bodies (7) CORPSES [Police Sergeant inside CORE + Searching]
6 Moves close to fight; overcomes Mike on second round (9) LOCOMOTES [Anno pending]
7 I played ODI in England (6) IODINE [ODI* + IN + England]
8 Support girl's attempt to go over a mountain's edge (6) GANTRY [Girl + TRY outside A mountaiN]
9 Workdog, say faces new dispute (6) OPPUGN [OP + PUG + New]
15 Perfect fraud foregoes resistance and becomes an intellectual (9) IDEALOGUE [IDEAL + rOUGE]
17 A bishop (Bengali perhaps) needing support becomes no-show (8) ABSENTEE [A + Bishop + SEN + TEE]
18 Part of the ear and tummy upset? Have pan (8) TYMPANUM [TUMMY* outside PAN]
20 Repayments failed? Take rep out for immunity (7) AMNESTY [repAYMENTS*]
21 Boring, each man is boring and vague (6) DREAMY [DRY outside EAch + Man]
22 Saint in India, filled with love holding bible seen at a tree (6) BAOBAB [BABA outside 0 + Bible?]
23 Hobo is transfixed, captivated by instrumentalist (6) OBOIST [T]
25 Defeat? Win or split heartlessly (5) WORST [Win OR SpliT]

29 comments:

  1. 21AC D[IS]O B[E]Y
    ones=Is; party=DO; past=by; E= second position of lEader
    This is my guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surface could have been better. Does not convey any meaning as it stands.

      Delete
    2. its a beautiful commentary on RG!

      Delete
  2. 28AC Extra=BYE; Over=BY; T=Team captain; HE=Hall exits [first letters]
    I know it is weird guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. KKR, your guesses are as good as mine. I was very late getting to solve and blog this in time, so left whatever I couldn't annotate for others to comment on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As expected, my Hyderabad edition carried AD's grid, giving a miss to Dr. X's grid, which you all enjoyed yesterday!
    I repeat TH has scant regard for the crossword feature and there is hardly anyone to counsel them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, the online version still shows to me Dr. X crossword link

      Delete
  5. 6d CLOSE TO* M(-IKE) second rOund

    ReplyDelete
  6. 14AC Seemingly after dark = I, but then there is no indication for its appearance before TAL[-L]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I(TAL I)AN in my opinion.
      In the company of probably means surrounds.

      Delete
    2. "In the company" as in to lodge/dwell is the containment indicator, IMU. I(tal I)an.

      Delete
    3. Afterdark, today's setter=I

      Delete
  7. 7Dn Though the soln IODINE shows itself up readily, I don't get the defn.
    Is it a game, character or place?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are a few baobab trees in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3D- SE(PI)A- Constant stops sea or the other way round?

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry. It should be stays and not stops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a print edition,waiting for the news boy in my balcony enjoying the lovely cold breeze after a downpour yesternight. Caught him on his bike and told him to give me Hindu also. He sent a rolled up missile of three papers that al.ost hit my face!

    Deletions and additions expert at his best. I wondered about 7 down, IODINE. The chemistry graduate in me got the better of my ego and
    I got I.Eureka moment.24a is atop familiar term in my insurance life. The shysters used to chase me too for settlements out of court !
    21d is as dreamy as Afterdark.OPPUGN is an UGH clue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Metroplus on Thursdays? So my newsboy says. Is that true ? As KKR garu says : a ant regard by the Hindu for crossword buffs ! All pages are filled with ads. Where does the money come from for these ? Bonanza for newspapers !

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is Metroplus on all days- nowadays on Sundays too in addition to Sunday magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Metroplus today in Hyderabad. It is a just a 4-page paper and roughly a page goes for ads.

      Delete
    2. We too don't have Metroplus on all days of the week in Vizag.

      Delete
  14. I put BOABAB for 22d and was groping for 24A (Ambulance); then refereed dictionary for the correct spelling. While a few had iffy surface like 21A, the surface of 25A was very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com