Wednesday 18 July 2018

No 12372, Wednesday 18 Jul 2018, Gridman


ACROSS
1   In mixed doubles, Rex rocks (8) BOULDERS {DOUBLES+R}*
5   Worsted rebel leader’s taken away in a rush and kept (6) STOWED WOrSTED*
9   Some lads set fire to central stumps of tree (8) LABURNUM {LAds}{BURN}{stUMps}
10 Good ones make good neighbours, according to Robert Frost (6) FENCES [CD]
12 Partition with everybody coming together (4) WALL {W}{ALL}
13 Chilling out, family member hosts central Texans (10) RELAXATION {RELA{teXAns}TION}
15 Mend and match again (6) REPAIR {RE}{PAIR}
17 Fruit's spotted — cut both sides (5) APPLE dAPPLEd
20 It is surely a part of crown jewels (5) TIARA [CD]
21 Stomach having to accept Bedi, starting late, showing monotony (6) TEDIUM {T{bEDI}UM}
24 Enough ribs about people living close (10) NEIGHBOURS*
27 Long for evergreen tree (4) PINE [DD]
29 Interfere with announced decorative piece (6) MEDDLE (~medal)
30 Fetching big ornament in gold (8) BRINGING {B{RING}{IN}G} I seems to have been overlooked (Addendum - {B}{RING}{IN}{G} - See comments)
31 The idea of not one working! (6) NOTION {NOT}{1}{ON}
32 Outfit acts in a certain manner about university (8) PLAYSUIT {PLAYS{U}IT}

DOWN
1   Bengal leader's control back over many rules (6) BYLAWS {Be...l}YLAWS Anno pending (Addendum - {Be...l}{Y{L}AWS<=} - See comments)
2   In trouble, ire leaves and settles. That’s release (6) UNBOLT {iN+TrOUBLe}*
3   Girl's right! It's gossip (4) DIRT {DI}{RT}
4   Unusual urge to keep old compact stuff (5) ROUGE {R{O}UGE*}
6   The incomplete Greek letter is a Greek letter (5) THETA {THe}{ETA}
7   Cup Kiwis upset in crude huts (8) WICKIUPS*
8   Some of the board is interested to expose (8) DISINTER [T]
11 Poet's said to be kept away (6) BARRED(~bard)
14 State Bank conceals rolled-back software version (4) BETA [T<=]
16 The powers that be dropped it with unknown writer (6) AUTHOR AUTHORity
17 Rest on a protester's word (4) ABUT {A}{BUT}
18 Dwarf chaps could well be acrobats (8) STUNTMEN {STUNT}{MEN}
19 American uncle and I get last letter with incomplete date — it's Soviet contraband self-publishing (8) SAMIZDAT {SAM}{I}{Z}{DATe}
22 Mother and I relax at our central habitat (6) MILIEU {M}{I}{LIE}{oUr}
23 Stature of Hornblower's first crew (6) HEIGHT{Ho...r}{EIGHT}
25 Shakespearean hero forgets extremely overt greeting (5) HELLO otHELLO
26 River, long river, out in the country (5) RURAL {R}{URAL}
28 Single working woman loses heart (4) ONLY {ON}{LadY}

GRID
Bhargav's Talepiece

The bouncer and the dancer - Part 91

No sooner the DUST had settled, Clement's NOTION was to get a permanent RELAXATION. Using the same ploy he spoke to the AUTHOR of the BYLAWS and made him MEDDLE with the rulings and BRINGING about a small change in the upcoming Annual General Meeting.

The ex-Moulin ROUGE dancer who wore a TIARA and PLAYSUIT lingerie (the APPLE of the eye of many) thus came to have a "No holds BARRED" relation with the said author. 

All of Clement's actions seemed to be in a "Owner's pride and NEIGHBOURS envy" mode. His social MILIEU widened by leaps and bounds and his business seemed to be reaching dizzy HEIGHTS. "HOSHIYAR BETA" soon began collecting double the amount of money from people to whom he had unwillingly parted  for favors received!!

ONLY Uncle SAM IZ DAT person who was turning a blind eye to the goings on for reasons best known to him.

What happened next?

30 comments:

  1. typo in 9A); both 'd' and 's' to be deleted in lads

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30AC: My take is:
    B RING IN G where G=Gold [per freedict]; B for big? I didn't find so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just took ornament (in gold) as verb, ringing. Though g can be gold as in GP gold plated a standard used in jewellery.

      Delete
    2. Bb:big Ben. Bb big brother in Orwell's 1984.

      Delete
    3. Why all that? In medals table G is for Gold, and others for others. sree_sree,KISS, I say. (But be careful!)

      Delete
  3. 30A) Possible anno is; {B}{RING}{IN}{G}; B from big; RING from ornament; IN from in; G from gold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust Gridman to bring some Literary reference. This time a beautiful poem by Robert Frost and ofcourse Othello. Iago remains one of the most nefarious villains in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. The blog and your Comment miss the theme. Hint to it is in 10ac that you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With neighbour, mend & walls thought there was a theme but didnt persue it. Now once again re-read Frost's Mending Walls.
      Theme words:Boulders, Fences, Wall, Repair, Neighbours, Meddle, Bringing, Barred, Height.
      Thanks for the hint & puzzle. Great way to reread a master.

      Delete
    2. Apple and Notion too are theme words

      Delete
  6. STUNTMEN: Dwarf= stunt or stunted ?

    WICKIUPS= A new word for my glossary. Reminds one of Wikileaks and now Tamilleaks of Sri Reddy ! and also wakey-wakey !

    10 across and 24 acros could have been worded as a linked -up clue ?

    TRULY, RURAL is an oft-seen clue !

    SAMIZDAT is a new word for me !

    MILIEU is normally referred to as in ambience- rrely as an Habitat . One learns !

    I lived in an apartment complex called Laburnum courts in Nairobi. fond memories !

    Cryptic crosswords are so evocative !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great poem. Read also 'Out,out'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely!I am sure you have Frost's anthology(/ies).
      For those who do not can read at www.poetryfoundation.org
      This particular poem can be read at
      https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/53087/out-out

      Delete
    2. My first memory of Robert Frost's works was a poem called Birches and later in oration competition people used to quote his famous lines,"Miles to go before I sleep".
      During college days read one of the anthologies and familiarized myself with his works.

      Delete
  8. The Complete Works of Frost and Emily Dickinson are prized possessions in my library. I bought them during college days. Am Lit I read outside of the syllabus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vasant, Prasad , Paddy and CV: Thanks for all your inputs on my yesterday's comments. Vasant has only partly answered my questions on what, when , where and why . Some revelation.
    CV: Your allusion to Kolam is out of context. I do like that credit should go and be claimed where due !

    Vasant: I am not belabouring any thing except that i needed clarifications. However, I am not yet convinced.QED !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raju,
    Thanks for having QED'd.
    That should bring the discussion to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About Robert Frost and the theme-
    Exposes my pet peeve that I am a 'babe in the woods' w.r. to English literature. What little I know, was learnt 'outside my syllabus' as CV puts it. Thanks for the references. I will now read a bit of Robert Frost and enjoy it. Thank you for the smooth one, Gridman- I did not have any problem in getting G for Gold.
    CGB,
    I see, rather read, a logo in your text- Onida. I think there is one on the lady's head- don't remember what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wickiup was new to me, though I was familiar with wigwam. But being an anagram and with crossings, I was able to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning, Paddy!

    Any guessed about the logo? It looks like stonehenge to me, ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Logo should have been much more clearer. It is Hyundai.

      Delete
    2. Thank you KKR and a very good evening to you.
      Yes CGB. Hyundai logo was not clear, but I got neighbour's envy... from the text.

      Delete
    3. I completely missed the logo..after mentioning it is crystal clear or should I say i10!

      Delete
  14. Vasant, Thanks for listing the theme words.
    However, 'barred' and 'height' I don't find in the poem 'Mending walls' - from which only I chose the theme words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistake..after rereading, I too found these two words missing..

      Delete
  15. Perhaps Vasant meant all Bruse poems.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com