Tuesday 24 November 2020

No 13101, Tuesday 24 Nov 2020, Arden

Solution to 1D has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular / novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
1   In fact swimmer gets unravelled (7) DECODED {DE{COD}ED}
5   Slight or short back cover (7) AFFRONT {AFt}{FRONT} 
9   Poet follows one in a slow tempo (5) DANTE anDANTE
10 Looking extremely unhealthy, market closed early at the bottom (9) SALLOWEST {SALe}{LOWEST}
11 In the middle of flat strip, she washes (9) LAUNDRESS {fLAt}{UNDRESS}
12 Deadly force on a former PM initially (5) FATAL {F}{ATAL}
13 Strive for a point of opinion (4) VIEW {VIE}{W}
15 Greek hero’s painstaking, sick (8) ACHILLES {ACH{ILL}ES}
18 If you have the will you will get it (8) HEIRLOOM [CD]
19 Cut back skittles (4) SNIP<=
22 Preamble reviewed, in short nine times (5) INTRO [T<=]
24 Boy’s other name is Don Juan (6,3) LADIES MAN {LAD}{NAME+IS}*
26 Accuse hotel in NewYork county (9) ALLEGHENY {ALLEG{H}E}{NY}
27 Start using some rejected religious text (5) SUTRA [T<=]
28 Procession over, over for the King (7) MONARCH {M{ON}ARCH}
29 Gathers from late hires, as they say (7) DEDUCES (~ dead uses)

DOWN
1   Hand out getting doubled, a piece of cake (6) D?D?L? (Addendum - DODDLE {DO{DD}LE} - See comments)
2   Firm new figure, take in as a mistress (9) CONCUBINE {CO}{N}{CUB{IN}E}
3   Fear as old man’s about to interfere (5) DREAD {D{RE}AD}
4   Criminal sped away, time to act (9) DESPERADO {SPED*}{ERA}{DO}
5   Finally, detailed map (5) ATLAS {AT LASt}
6   Customers pay for cataracts (9) FOOTFALLS {FOOT}{FALLS}
7   Open secret, Charlie’s gone (5) OVERT cOVERT
8   Sing about last PM once, in short (6) TATTLE {a..uT}{ATTLEe}
14 Hot over Germany — many left Hitler for what he was (9) WARMONGER {WARM}{ON}{GERmany}
16 Mary had crossed a dead snake (9) HAMADRYAD {MARY+HAD} over {A}{D}
17 Cryptic puzzle — fled from magnetic field (9) ENIGMATIC {ENIGMATIC+FLED}* = {MAGNETIC FIELD} [CA]
20 Broadcast said Royal Marines will demobilise (6) DISARM {SAID+RM}*
21 Reportedly, wants to make some dough (6) KNEADS (~needs)
23 Short story on claw (5) TALON {TALe}{ON}
24 Parasite finds shelter over church (5) LEECH {LEE}{CH}
25 Place cleared, happy to be comforted (5) EASED plEASED

Reference List
Force = F, Point = W, Hotel = H, New = N, About = RE,  Charlie = C, Dead = D, Church = CH, Place = PL

35 comments:

  1. Enjoyed doing the puzzle, an easy but interesting one. Certain clues were were very interesting. 1a, 9a, 12a, 18a, 28a, 6d and 14d were my favourites for the sheer variety in clueing. Thank you for a nice fare

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1D DODDLE = easy task, piece of cake{DOLE, hand out getting DD doubleD}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to imagine AJ sending in solutions as a newbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You statement is more cryptic to me. Be kind enough to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15a- pains taking- Arden's speciality and he does it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What he seems to mean is that you were quite eager and consistent in putting in the answer for newbie. After the Col put in the guillotine, your hands are tied down. But your hands are still itching to put in the answer but you are quite helpless.

      Delete
    2. What I meant was it is difficult to imagine you as a newbie or as a learner. You are so good you are able to finish early and list out best. How were you able to continue as a newbie successfully for so long?

      Delete
    3. No, sir. I have been consistent in solving Hindu Crossword for a long time, long before I entered the blog. After the passing away of my husband who was my rival at home, the grid lost its competitive edge. That was when I discovered this blog and started all over again. My reactions on elevation was for fun only. The truth is that my mornings, as ever dawn with coffee on one hand and the Newspaper on the other. I just analyze the style of clueing and report.

      Delete
    4. To enjoy solving is the best that can be.
      I expect you to start setting Sunday Special soon.

      Delete
    5. +1 Paddy. I too would love to see AJ's grid.

      Delete
    6. AJ
      Please excuse me if I did not come out clearly in that message. I never meant to say you were a beginner; I must have avoided the term 'newbie'. I was only referring to your quick answers and eagerness to put in the left-out answer as long as the privilege was available for you.

      Delete
    7. Please. No issues. I usually take thibgs in the right spirit I never get hurt by anything whatsoever No explanation is needed. Please don't stand on formalities, because I don't. Be free to comment

      Delete
    8. AJ - u r a real inspiration to me. I have been a struggling on & off solver for long (solving incognito & gridman & never able to crack dr.x) till i discovered this blog a year ago. Now i am consistently on 100% for almost a month now.
      Unlike u - i never get much of a chance to post - since my CW time is only post dinnee after 9pm.
      I took look foward eagerly to your setting. šŸ˜Š

      Delete
    9. Dinner + too - typo.

      Delete
    10. Thank you Gowri. It pleases me that people like you are kind enough to encourage me to set. But I really don't know how and where to start. I may have to seek help from stalwarts like CV sir. Let me see.

      Delete
    11. AJ
      OK We will start. Pl send a mail to chaturvasiATyahooDOTcom
      so I have your email ID.
      I will start the process and guide you step by step for a guest puzzle here on the Col's blog.
      It will be useful if you could give ph. no. as some things may be easily said and discussed by talk than elaborate and needless typing.

      Delete
    12. Thank you sir. Didn't expect a response so soon. I will send a mail immediately giving you my phone no. also.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Arden, I enjoy your clues getting more and more inventive, adding to the puzzle's entertainment value. E.g., 1d as evidenced by the Col leaving it for audience solving and AJ listing it among her faves. AJ, your doing so helps setters to know what is appreciated. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Col, one who has solved 1d must be kicked upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will give it a few mire days before the next promotion

      Delete
    2. I too solved it. šŸ˜Š

      Delete
  8. Many happy returns of the day MBgaru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Many Happy returns of the Day MB.
      May you & Chaitanya continue your service of supplying us enough and more CW's day after day after.....

      Delete
  9. Nice puzzle though I did google 9 lettered snake :-(. Like Gowri I too solve at the end of the day (on my commute back home pre covid and before the dinner rush now). Hence miss all the early morning action.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com