Tuesday 22 September 2020

No 13047, Tuesday 22 Sep 2020, Gridman

Solution to 20D has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular/novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
1   Honest saint’s honest about answer (8) STRAIGHT {ST}{R{A}IGHT}
5   On reflection, wrong by one new resident (4-2) LIVE-IN {EVIL<=}{1}{N}
9   A pencil drawing of a bird (7) PELICAN*
10 One involved in open case (7) PATIENT {PAT{1}ENT}
11 The man’s simple and cruel (9) HEARTLESS {HE}{ARTLESS}
12 Applaud principal head wanting increment (5) RAISE pRAISE
13 Genuine-sounding fishing companion of Rod (4) REEL (~real)
14 Sound correspondence old granny kept in fancy cases (9) ASSONANCE {ASS{O}{NAN}CE*}
17 UK national nearly hides reported dishonesties (9) BRIBERIES {BRIt}{BERIES}(~buries)
19 Too slow in holding capital (4) OSLO [T]
23 Dance with hesitation in sleazy bar (5) RUMBA {R{UM}BA*}

24 Venkat, with no time, nearly rises thwarting trickeries (9) KNAVERIES {VENKAt+RISEs}*
25 Six carelessly losing no good instruments (7) VIOLINS {VI}{LOSINg*}
26 Idly moving to the insurers — that’s perfect! (7) IDYLLIC {IDLY*}{LIC}
27 Food item for the less wary? (6) RASHER [DD]
28 Stopped North Indian repudiator coming back (6,2) REINED IN {NI}{DENIER}<=

DOWN
1   County accepts software for a gem (8) SAPPHIRE {S{APP}HIRE}
2   About the property contract — let it go! (7) RELEASE {RE}{LEASE}
3   Stimulate one new spy, say (6) INCITE {1}{N}{CITE}(~sight)
4   When, in a form of protest, you may yearn for a bite? (6,7) HUNGER STRIKES [C&DD]
6   Break in travel abroad (8) INTERVAL*
7   Mournful English, and Gaelic outpouring (7) ELEGIAC {E}{GAELIC*}
8   Stone container turned upside down to get seasoning (6) NUTMEG {GEM}{TUN}<=
10 Assignment to worker relating to a wellness recovery period (4-9) POST-OPERATIVE {POST}{OPERATIVE}
15 Vie with Arabs in a way that is irritating (8) ABRASIVE*
16 Gold thus put in container by islander (8) CORSICAN {C{OR}{SIC}AN}
18 Muzzle-loaders are strict disciplinarians (7) RAMRODS [DD]
20 Small child learner one had met with crash helmet (7) S?I?L?D (Addendum - SKIDLID {S}{KID}{L}I'D} - See comments)
21 Legal action to recover priest’s last rupee ended (6) TROVER {p...sT}{R}{OVER}
22 Put faith in Len and Roy striving together (4,2) RELY ON*

Reference List
Saint = ST, Answer = A, New = N, Old = O, Granny = NAN, Time = T, Good = G, North = N, Indian = I, About = RE, English = E, Gold = OR, Thus = SIC, Small = S, Learner = L, Rupee = R


50 comments:

  1. 20 d skidlid-crash helmet.
    s+kid+l+i'd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I had solved it an hour back. No permission to post it. Can't I appreciate the solver (the next in line)?

      Delete
    2. Sure. You have to. I was just saying it in jest- after yesterday's remarks. I knew you would have solved it.

      Delete
    3. Yes Remy is next in line for promotion. Tomorrow onwards same applies to you Remy as I hade mentioned in the case of AJ yeasterday. So welcome to the group of regulars.

      Delete
    4. Welcome Remy. I didn't know that the next wicket will fall (into the gang of regulars) in such a quick succession. Congratulations. My 'next in line' turned to be prophetic.

      Delete
    5. Eagerly looking forward to Col's HATRICK tomorrow. OR will it be today by CSK??

      Delete
    6. The third Novice to be promoted to Regulars on Day 3 !!

      Delete
  3. Small-S
    Child-kid
    Learner-L
    One-I
    S+kid+l+i'd-skidlid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well solved Remy & Prasanna. A difficult one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paddy. After a long time I solved in time. Mr AJ has been promoted. Otherwise he will be the first one to crack.

      Delete
    2. Prasanna Rao, one small correction. I am not Mr.AJ. I am a woman. You can simply say AJ like others do. I thought that it is high time I revealed it, though I don't really mind being addressed as Mr.

      Delete
    3. AJ - When you were addressed as Mr AJ, I suspected one could be wrong. AJ-ji might havebeen safer.
      Col has pages for setters and solvers. But not all are ready to come out and tell us about their lives. But many of us have become friends and have indeed met in Chennai, BNG. CBE and elsewhere.

      Delete
    4. I didn't really find the need to reveal the gender as long as people addressed me as AJ. Not that I wanted to be secretive about myself. In the evening of my life, at age 72+, I have nothing to hide. Only there was no need until I felt guilty about not revealing something not worth hiding. Thank you.

      Delete
    5. Glad to hear about another member from the Septugenarian group. So can we have the expansion of AJ, now at least.

      Delete
    6. By any chance does AJ stand for Amita Annette Joseph who is participating in IXL?

      Delete
    7. I am Dr. A. Jayalakshmi, not a medical doctor but one with a Ph.d in Mathematics. I am just one year old in you blog and I don't consider myself clever enough to participate in elite contests.

      Delete
    8. AJJI in Kannada means Grandmother. Not sure if Gridman proposed AJ being called as Ajji was a coincidence or with a prior knowledgešŸ˜€

      Delete
    9. I am an Ajji only. I don' t mind being called so.

      Delete
    10. Madam AJ, yesterday when I was writing to congratulate you on your elevation I almost started addressing you as Mr., but held back thinking in case ...
      That doubt has been clarified now.

      Delete
    11. I am a Kannadiga and so I had carefully put it as AJ-ji, with a hyphen in between.

      Delete
    12. Welcome to the fold Dr.Jayalakshmi and welcome again to our septuagenarian club.

      Delete
    13. You don't have today's news? Remy has been elevated. One more wicket in our kitty
      Congratulate Remy if you have not yet done so.

      Delete
    14. My post at 10:36 above is addressed to D.N.M. Rao

      Delete
  5. A breeze by Gridman- the way only he can. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very nice grid. Thank you Gridman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyable fare. One doubt- 20Dn Skid lid is shown as two words in online dics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears in dictionaries as hyphened word as well as one word. Nowadays most hyphened words appear with hyphens dropped.

      Delete
  8. I got a call from a very respectable person, an elderly gentleman, writer in English and Tamil, speaker and heritage buff this morning. He said he enjoyed today's crossword/ He said it didn't tax his brain. (I might add he is in his late eighties. And the Col was talking about septuagenarians.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been a very pleasant experience talking to him.

      Delete
  9. Thank you Sir,so much more to learn.Every day is a new experience.
    A Colt among thoroughbreds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one is born as a thoroughbred- all of them here may have been colts when they started. Best wishes to become one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Respected Dr.AJ Read your post@ 09:09.BTW, just go through the threads and got to know about your career. Thanks to GridMan and Shri Col. for selecting 20D. Now, we have 3 Doctors in THCC group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Remy, welcome to the regulars club.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Remy for your elevation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Gridman.For non-regulars the puzzles were not frustrating like Hypatia .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad to know that there are septuagenarian buffs like me. Though I have been following this blog since almost a decade I am just now getting to enjoy the puzzles. I am all in praise to Col and Ramesh J for keeping the blog very very interesting.
    Incidentally there is a commenter by name Jayalakshmi Armugam also. Are Dr AJ and her the same

    ReplyDelete
  16. No. Jayalakshmi Arumugam is a different person. I am Jayalakshmi only..There wa a person called Ashok Jayanthi also. Many A.J's here. I am different from both of them

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com