Thursday 24 September 2020

No 13049, Thursday 24 Sep 2020, Gridman

Solution to 3D has been deliberately left unsolved and is to be answered only by a non-regular/novice commenter, with proper annotation. Those who have answered earlier in the week, please give others a chance.

ACROSS
1   Revolutionary spoke about Chennai leader (7) RADICAL {RADI{Ch...i}AL}
5   Seek clever incomplete group first (6) SEARCH {ARCH}<=>{SEt}
9   One good bathroom in a summer house (5) IGLOO {1}{G}{LOO}
10 Sailor hurried back — I have the story (9) NARRATIVE {TAR}{RAN}<={I'VE}
11 Being noncommittal, not using capital, getting small fringes (7) EDGINGS {hEDGING}{S}
12 Felt uneasy holding cool, certain booty (3,4) THE PELF {T{HEP}ELF*}
13 Question a rising traitor in an Arabian land (5) QATAR {Q}{A}{RAT<=}
14 Alternate winter place with police chief missing (9) INTERLACE {wINTER}{pLACE}
16 For which an aspiring politician may want a party ticket (5,4) EMPTY SEAT [CD]
19 Holy man depressed with hovel broken (5) SADHU {SAD}{HUt}
21 Can girl with light be excited? (7) TINGLED {TIN}{G}{LED}
23 English aura is spread around a huge landmass (7) EURASIA {E}{AURA+IS}*
24 Breakaway choir master leaving one male group of musicians (9) ORCHESTRA {CHOiR+mASTER}*
25 I moan about a biblical character (5) NAOMI*
26 The old strenuously stay zestful (6) YEASTY {YE}{STAY*}
27 It offers cold comfort, perhaps (7) EARPLUG [CD]

DOWN
1   What an enquiring person would do to get an answer (5,1,8) RAISE A QUESTION [CD]
2   If Turkish, it’s sweet! (7) DELIGHT [CD]
3   Boast endlessly about ace singer such as Kishore (7) C?O?N?R (Addendum - CROONER {CRO{ONER}w} - See cmments)
4   Big electoral victory is ground-breaking (9) LANDSLIDE [DD]
5   Proud walk in support? (5) STRUT [DD]
6   Non-professional in a mature turn-out (7) AMATEUR*
7   Fancy ring given to artist (7) CHIMERA {CHIME}{RA}
8   Fella gesturing could do with controlling own behaviour (4-10) SELF-REGULATING*
15 Little birdie and servant capture the French part of book (5,4) TITLE PAGE {TIT}{LE}{PAGE}
17 Badly review American revolutionary’s flair (7) PANACHE {NAP<=}{A}{CHE}
18 Son picks up response about eastern criers (7) YELPERS {S}{REPL{E}Y}<=
19 More calm visionary grabbing short French boy (7) SERENER {SE{RENe}ER}
20 Rob uttered a falsehood accepting old afterword coming up (7) DESPOIL {LI{O}{PS}ED}<=
22 Spotted cuckoo (5) DOTTY [DD]

Reference List
Good = G, Sailor = TAR, Small = S, Question = Q, With = W, Girl = G, English = E, Male = M, Artist = RA, The in French = LE, American = A, Son = S, Eastern = E, Old = O


Dr RKE's TalePiece

I DELIGHT in studying people on train journeys without starting a conversation. The earphones I always wear (sometimes not even connected to my mobile phone) are perceived to be the EARPLUGS signalling that I do not want to be spoken to. This, plus the act of ostensibly poring over a newspaper spread such that it covers my face partly, allows me the freedom to observe people around me undisturbed and draw my conclusions, like an AMATEUR Sherlock Holmes. No matter if the inquisitive man on the opposite seat cranes his neck to read the TITLE PAGE of my newspaper.

So it was, when on a journey from New Delhi to Haridwar by train in 2013, a man in his thirties, got in at Ghaziabad and took the EMPTY SEAT next to me.  His ochre dress, the tilak on the forehead, and the rosary in his hand made it clear he was a SADHU. However, he had a muscular build, short hairstyle and a neatly trimmed moustache.   These CHIMERic contradictions RAISEd THE QUESTION, what could be his NARRATIVE? Has he given up a job, a loving wife and a little kid, in SEARCH for the inner truth, like a modern Buddha? Has he given up a YEASTY life and is seeking to atone in the mountains?  Has he turned a religious RADICAL spurred by the Ram Janmabhoomi struggle?  Does he belong to one of the orders of monks that are helping out in the rehabilitation of Uttarakhand after the floods and the LANDSLIDEs six months back? The voice of the CROONER (Lataji) came over my earphones “Ajnabi kaun ho tum?”

Lulled by the rocking of the train and the SERENER music, I must have dozed off for a while and suddenly woke up TINGLED by the cold breeze coming in through the open door of the compartment. The train was slowing for a halt at the Deoband station.  I caught sight of the sadhu, having alighted the moving train, running behind a man at a surprising pace. I just got a glimpse of the ‘sadhu’ catching him by the EDGING of the sleeve of his green shirt. Wasn’t the man sleeping in the side upper berth in the same green shirt? Theories continued to float in my head.

Later in my hotel room at Haridwar I caught the entire story on the TV news. The ‘sadhu’ turned out to be SP Raman Singh in disguise and he had caught one of the terrorists who had planted bombs in Old Delhi recently.  The caught terrorist had spilled the beans on the plot that was ORCHESTRATed from QATAR and their links with terrorist organizations across EURASIA. This was one narrative that had not crossed my mind. From that day, I gave up on my DOTTY theorizing about my fellow passengers and I now carry chanting beads during journeys! 

47 comments:

  1. Yeasty- Ye. Remembered Raju who was using this frequently,though meaning 'You'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr.RKE. Found out what we have been missing all these days though we had enjoyed the CW's. Your Tale Pieces really add spice to mundane word puzzles.
    Yes,watching co-passengers-be it on a train,bus or plane- is an interesting pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gridman for another interesting episode including the characteristic CD's.
    Yeasty was new to me. I had automatically put in a U after the Q and I realised my mistake later. Good one. TH adds a regret note on yesterday's CW (Lectures)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Col.,
    34A-should 'one' also be in pink to indicate the removal of I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be 24A- sorry for the typo.

      Delete
    2. One per se is not being removed but 1 is that's why one is not in pink

      Delete
  5. 20D- Afterword=PS,was good but missed the anno. Probably mentally read it as afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice grid, solved itself by 8:50 without much strain. I am just wondering why solution for 3d has not yet appeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,
      ...because AJ has been disallowed by moving her to the rooftop room.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Now Orthopaul has given the solution. It will be better if he explains the role of about, don't you think?

      Delete
  7. 3 dn. CROONER. CRO(W)ONER...MEANS singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Orthopaul explains cro(w), oner and the role of about in this context, it would be complete.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps yodeller would be an apter term for Kishore. What say ye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moment I saw Kishore I thought of yodeller.

      Delete
    2. Me too. One associates yodeling with Kishore Kumar. " Main hoon jhoom jhoom Jhomroo.."; " Nakhre wali"; " Chala jata hoon kisi ki dhoon main", so many others.

      Delete
    3. I get "jindagi ek safar hai suhaana" as the example

      Delete
  9. Beautiful crossword CV. Really loved the cluing

    ReplyDelete
  10. 13A. In an across clue is 'rising' OK as a reversal indicator?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A rising traitor is a rebekliious traitor and rebellious is the anag signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case it becomes an indirect anagram doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. You're right. Perhaps a last-minuye change has mucked it up.Without a test solver, a crossword is likely to have such slight discrepancoes - not because of carelessness but because of the same tired old mind constantly revising it. I wonder how many of THC setters have the luxury of a pre-publication solver.

      Delete
  12. Since no one else is attemting the annotation for 3D it is open to everyone now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does it include regulars col.?

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3d
    CROONER: singer
    CRO: crow(boast) - w: boast endlessly
    ONER: someone or something characterised by no.1: ace
    About has beside as one of its meanings
    Thus
    CRO beside ONER gives CROONER

    ReplyDelete
  15. IXL solutions and leaderboard are up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Ram, you overtook me.
      I was knocked out. I had a typo!

      Delete
  16. I am still under shock to see me above you and Vasant and yet to recover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still reeling.. how the I became A in Impute..

      Delete
    2. Paddy is in an unenviable position. Can I ever beat him?:)

      Delete
    3. Vasant, that's why I spend any 5min, checking and rechecking. Yet the doubt (do I hve a typo) lingers on untill Thursday!

      Delete
    4. KKR,
      Don't forget I am holding up everybody!
      I am in it more for the fun of solving it. Last Sunday I was able to start only at 4.30 pm. One typo and a mistake- I put Person in stead of Pistol.

      Delete
    5. @ Prasad: I also check for typos; this time I completed in 27 minutes and spent 5 min on checking; yet...has to be attributed to carelessness..

      Delete
  17. It took 55 mins for me to complete and submit

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com