Sunday 13 September 2020

The Sunday Crossword No 3116, Sunday 13 Sep 2020


ACROSS
1   Novel that's winning (10) PERSUASION [DD]
6   So shut up (4) THUS*
9   Put out novel, Daisy's Fist (10) DISSATISFY*
10 Spoken of the country? Not once (4) ORAL pastORAL
12 Book where one more duty laid out? (11) DEUTERONOMY*
15 Primarily, some uncanny carnal creatures undertaking bedroom incursions? (7) SUCCUBI Acrostic &lit
16 Twice king and I eat, on time for expedition (3-4) KON-TIKI {K}{I}{K}{I} over {ON}{T}
17 Commissions whereby queen's collecting money in S Africa (7) ERRANDS {ER{RAND}S}
19 Old desire with eagerness cut short (4-3) LONG-AGO {LONG}{AGOg}
20 Pope with explanatory note for piece of Apocrypha...? (5,6) URBAN LEGEND {URBAN}{LEGEND}
23 Headgear, uniform back-to-front in western state (4) UTAH {HAT}{U}<=
24 Set apart, gutted, they bypass study (2,3,5) AT THE READY {AparT}{THE{READ}Y}
25 Some dilly-dallying reactionary peer (4) LADY [T<=]
26 Listen up: Everyman's in peril, sad, quivering (4,2,4) READ MY LIPS {MY} in {PERIL+SAD}*

DOWN
1   Puts cushions in frogs' homes (4) PADS [DD]
2   Groomsmen regularly downed wine (4) ROSE gRoOmSmEn
3   Going to disturb nun during nap (2,3,7) UP AND RUNNING*
4   Ferociously, ambitiously, a boy strangely wanting encouragement (7) STIMULI {aMbITIoUSLy}* [CA]
5   Ill – almost ill it's when there's less activity (3-4) OFF-PEAK {OFF}{PEAKy}
7   Drunk chairman's admitted love for noises in Dylan records (10) HARMONICAS {CHAIRMANS}* over {0}
8   Loins dimly aroused by position (5,3-2) SILLY MID-ON*
11 Unprincipled, odd, tiny and drawn out (4-3-5) DOWN-AND-DIRTY*
13 Since university, gets into reading? Typical (2,3,5) AS PER USUAL {AS}{PERUS{U}AL}
14 20 to go on here? (10) SCOREBOARD {SCORE}{BOARD} Semi&lit
18 Cover that woman to keep warmth in (7) SHEATHE {S{HEAT}HE}
19 Drained and percolated audibly (7) LEECHED (~leached)
21 Bit of tsarina's dress (4) SARI [T]
22 Reportedly 'breaks down stains' (4) DYES(~dies)

Reference List
King = K, Time = T, Queen = ER, Uniform = U, Love = 0, University = U

20 comments:

  1. This is to inform with much regret that our dear friend Mr. Raju Umamaheshwar passed away last night due to heart attack. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear this Col. We have lost one of our most enthusiastic members. Om Shanthi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shattered to hear this. Remarkable person. Om Shanti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am deeply grieved to hear about the demise of Mr Raju. May his soul rest in peace.
    He was a very passionate crossword solver.
    His collection of crossword clippings is something of a record and he had not stopped accumulating them.
    His style of writing was marked by his love for words, for we can see in it how his mind flitted from one to another by their sounds.
    I had the pleasure of visiting him in his Coimbatore home on a couple of occasions and receiving excellent hospitality from him and his gracious wife.
    My condolences to the bereaved family. May the Almighty give them the strength to bear the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sorry to hear this. May his soul rest in peace. Om shanthi .

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sad. Our most enthusiastic solver.

    His presence on the blog was something to look forward to. we will miss him

    ReplyDelete
  7. Om Shanthi. Very sad to hear the news. Never got the opportunity to meet him either in Coimbatore or New York. He is one of our most regular and active member of this blog. His sudden demise has created a big void in our blog and also in IXL. Our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Extremely saddened to hear that our Rajuji is no more. An ardent crossword fan, he literally breathed crosswords and has eagerly participated in all the grids published in the 1ACross blog.

    He also corresponded with me by email about these and other grids. A few months back, I fondly remember that he had sent me an old Guardian grid that he had partly completed which I then returned to him after finishing. I had also tweeted about it and it was tracked to have appeared in ~2008 and the original setter (Arachne) was notified by Alan Connor. Rajuji was overjoyed by this.

    I always used to look forward to his humorous comments in the blog - in fact he was perhaps one of the very few people to leave comments on my Brand crosswords in the Hindu Business Line site as well. These memories will be cherished by us cruciverbalists who never did have a chance to meet Rajuji but feel like we know him so well from his online interaction.

    Om Shanti Om Shanti Om Shanti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will miss his jovial comments as well as his Sundays' special. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed his comments here. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deeply saddened to hear of this. A unique personality indeed with an unmatched love and passion for crosswords. I always looked forward to reading his humorous comments. Sadly, I did not have the good fortune of meeting him, but I did get the opportunity to meet his brother in Bombay. My deepest condolences to his near and dear ones. A big loss. RIP Raju 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am deeply saddened to see the message on my mobile. We all have lost a truly wonderful personality. We talk very frequently over phone and my last talk with him was just three days ago when he mentioned about the need for a visit to hospital. Although he mentioned it was a routine checkup, I felt he was not his usual self. I am very disappointed that we couldn't meet in person. I had actually planned a trip this year to meet him but the current situation didn't allow me to dare do that.
    We truly miss you Rajugaru! My beloved friend, Rest in Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely sad and shocked to hear the news of raju's passing away. A void that can never be filled- his enthusiasm far exceed all of ours. I was wondering why there were no comments from him for the last few days. I will never be able to console myself for not being able to meet him.A very bad miss. He was a live wire on CW's and this blog. I can't imagine any one of us who did not look forward to his comments here. Condolences to his near and dear ones. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Extremely sad. May his soul rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm shocked to hear the passing away of Raju Umamaheshwar. His love for crosswords was unparalleled and I will surely miss his humorous comments. My condolences to the family
    I pray God keeps him in eternal bliss. RIP


    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear this. My sincere condolences to Rajugaru's family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very sorry to hear this. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very sorry and shocked to hear this. Sincere condolences to Raju's family. Have thoroughly enjoyed his witty comments, and constructive feedback all the time.
    -VP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sad to hear the news. Om Shanthi.

    ReplyDelete

deepakgita@gmail.com