Wednesday 11 December 2019

No 12803, Wednesday 11 Dec 2019, Anon


ACROSS
1   Indifference to deformed icy iron suit (11) INCURIOSITY*
9   Schematic of Indian city in blur (7) DIAGRAM {DI{AGRA}M}
10 Holiday internal to lone asteroid (6) EASTER [T]
11 Picture of one wizard (5) IMAGE {1}{MAGE}
12 Mother houses broker in shade (7) MAGENTA {M{AGENT}A}
15 Start to call for piece of work (4) TASK {To}{ASK}
16 Food that does not need to be cooked (5-2-3) READY-TO-EAT [E]
18 Started shooting candid editor’s passion (6,4) OPENED FIRE {OPEN}{ED}{FIRE}
20 Starts assembling petrol industry at Samoa capital (4) APIA Acrostic
23 Crush boyfriend’s armour plate (7) JAMBEAU {JAM}{BEAU}
24 Due to faction is outstanding (5) OWING {O}{WING}
26 Finch to endlessly circle (6) TOWHEE {TO}{WHEEl}
27 At home, doctor stern with trainees (7) INTERNS {IN}{STERN*}
28 Christians house worker during appeals (11) PROTESTANTS {PROTEST{ANT}S}

DOWN
2   Somehow sever new source of tension (6) NERVES {SEVER+N}*
3   Muslim community found in Belgium, Malaysia (4) UMMA [T]
4   With indignation, needing no introduction, defames Europeans (10) IRELANDERS {IRE}{sLANDERS}
5   Calls into question putting back government industry into divisions (8) SUSPECTS {S{PSU<=}ECTS}
6   Initially the hero evacuates all trapped runners expertly from auditorium (7) THEATRE Acrostic
7   Dependence on flyer for speech (9) ADDICTION {AD}{DICTION}
8   Dishes for South Africa boys (6) SALADS {SA}{LADS}
13 Yeomen are meat consumers? (10) BEEFEATERS {BEEF}{EATERS}
14 Most unusual province between two streets (9) STRANGEST {ST}{RANGE}{ST}
17 In a riot, theyd bar bowler (5,3) DERBY HAT*
19 Charm eccentric Euro man (7) ENAMOUR*
21 Tools to remove first part from torn slipper (6) PLIERS SLIpPER*
22 Roman god returned, idiot broke down (4,2) LOST IT {SOL<=}{TIT}
25 Prima donna’s enthusiastic comeback (4) DIVA<=

Reference List
Editor = ED, New = N, Flyer = AD


33 comments:

  1. Jambeau and Towhee were new to me and required look up. Good and fair clues. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Managed to get Towhee after googling,but Jambeau eluded me.
    Enjoyed otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too with RKE and Paddy!
    Very nice puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not too far (away) from veterans. Glad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could solve except for the ones Padmanabhan had mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got all except Towhee. Good clues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. todays times
    5d Outstanding old part of building (5)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. No Cdr
      Outstanding - def
      old - O
      part of building - WING

      Delete
    2. Where did you get 'old part of building' from? It's not in the clue

      Delete
    3. Sorry. I was not looking at 24a of this crossword.

      Delete
  9. 26A I used to read a poem in primary class which started as :-
    Towhee Towhee Towhee
    Will you listen to me etc
    Anyone knows this poem? Iam not getting in google search

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to-whit to-whit to-whee
      will you listen to me?
      who stole eggs i laid
      and the nice nest i made

      Delete
  10. Not I, said the sheep, oh no
    I wouldn't treat a poor bird so
    I gave wool the nest to line
    But the nest was none of mine
    Baa, baa, said the sheep, oh no,
    I wouldn't treat a poor bird so

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poem may have some more lines but I am not able to help as of now.
    Big books of nursery rhymes that I had were all given away to children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cdr
    to-whit to-whit to-whee will you listen to me? who stole eggs i laid and the nice nest i made
    Put the above words in entirety in Google search box.
    From the returns you get, click "Our Children's Songs".
    You can read the whole poem which is long as I said above.
    It is an image, so I can't copy-paste the lines.

    Search fee; A word of thanks will do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who Stole the Bird's Nest? - English Children's Songs - England - Mama Lisa's World: Children's Songs and Rhymes from Around the World - Intro Image
    Who Stole the Bird's Nest?
    Nursery Rhyme
    To-whit! to-whit! to-whee!
    Will you listen to me?
    Who stole four eggs I laid,
    And the nice nest I made?

    Not I, said the cow, moo-oo!
    Such a thing I'd never do.
    I gave you a wisp of hay,
    But did not take your nest away;
    Not I, said the cow, moo-oo!
    Such a thing I'd never do.

    Bob-o-link! Bob-o-link!
    Now, what do you think?
    Who stole a nest away
    From the plum-tree to-day?

    Not I, said the dog, bow-wow!
    I wouldn't be so mean, I vow.
    I gave some hairs the nest to make,
    But the nest I did not take;
    Not I, said the dog, bow-wow!
    I would not be so mean, I vow.

    Coo-coo! coo-coo! coo-coo!
    Let me speak a word or two:
    Who stole that pretty nest
    From little Robin Redbreast?

    Not I, said the sheep; oh, no,
    I would not treat a poor bird so;
    I gave the wool the nest to line,
    But the nest was none of mine.
    Baa! baa! said the sheep; oh, no!
    I wouldn't treat a poor bird so.

    Caw! caw! cried the crow,
    I should like to know
    What thief took away
    A bird's nest to-day.

    Chuck! chuck! said the hen,
    Don't ask me again;
    Why, I haven't a chick
    Would do such a trick.
    We all gave her a feather,
    And she wove them together.
    I'd scorn to intrude
    On her and her brood.
    Chuck! chuck! said the hen,
    Don't ask me again.

    Chirr-a-whirr! chirr-a-whirr!
    We will make a great stir.
    Let us find out his name,
    And all cry - For shame!

    A little boy hung down his head,
    And went and hid behind the bed;
    For he stole that pretty nest
    From little Robin Redbreast;
    And he felt so full of shame
    He did not like to tell his name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to extract lines from image file by using OCR. But now I don't have that facility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for interested. i am because of my 5th neice.
      http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/our-childrens-songs/our-childrens-songs%20-%200146.htm

      Delete
    2. http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/our-childrens-songs/our-childrens-songs- 0146.htm

      Delete
    3. sree-sree's response in line with the subject.....gr8. single "O' debate ends with poem....Thanks to Mr Charthurvashi for the poem @ 13:30

      Delete
  15. In the back of my mind, I was sure Chaturvasi would come to my help and he did. Thank you , and also to Vasudevan taking the trouble to give me the entire poem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very lively comments section today and as lively as today's puzzle!
    Thanks to Anon and all here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing a very happy birthday to Incognito and AfterDark today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1.Many Happy Returns Of The Day to both!

      Delete
    2. +2.Many Happy Returns Of The Day.hav a gr8 day.

      Delete
    3. +4
      Happy Birthday & Many Happy returns of the day Incognito & AD.

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday to you Incognito and AD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for the nice Nursery Rhyme and Thank you commander for asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pl. don't mention.All interaction on the Nursery rhyme showed nice camaraderie!

      Delete

deepakgita@gmail.com